Creatine?

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by beelz, Oct 13, 2012.

1. So GC I started working out recently and after a while I got some supplements. I got a big jar of 100% Whey Protein and Creatine Monohydrate. Both are of GNC brand. So far its been good and I did get kind of "bigger". Im 5'4", 125 lbs and I workout 3-4 days a week. My question is how should I go about taking creatine? Should I load or go 3-days loading and 3-days abstinence? Have any of you guys taken creatine? If so, how much did you take before seeing results?

2. #2 pleiadian, Oct 13, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2012
    Loading is a trick so that you use your product that much faster, so you're back at the store faster. GNC is over-priced too. If you want to buy supplements, go to bodybuilding.com

Creatine from red meat (cattle, bison, horse, etc.) is far more superior than pharmaceutically synthesized creatine in some lab. Even thought you're consuming more creatine by buying it in the powder and you could argue that it might absorb quicker (as if that's a good thing?), creatine from meat sources just sticks to the human muscles more efficiently; whereas this weird form of lab-produced creatine tens to depart from human muscles a lot quicker. Ever heard of the saying, 'faster up, faster down'? The same applies here. Your body is definitely going to recognize, accept, and retain creatine from natural sources better than it is if it came in a denatured state.

However since you have it, only take it post-work out if you're asking for my recommendation. Two reasons; so your body doesn't get dependent on it and so when you stop taking it you lose all the water weight accumulated from it. Two, that's really when it's going to be of most benefit; after you depleted your ATP (energy) from your muscles. If you take it everyday then your body depends on this extra boost of synthetic ATP - whereas if you take it only after your workout then you replenish what you lost so you can start healing that much quicker while avoiding the situation in which your body depends on the daily consumption of it.

To be honest, from here on out it would be better just to get your creatine from red meat. You avoid spending money on supplements, it will stick to you better in the long-run, and red meat has calories - so this is just part of your weekly grocery bill. Also avoid the lean meats; you want the fats from red meat. The fats from red meat are not only rich in micronutrients, but are mostly composted of monounsaturated and saturated fats - both of which are proven to increase testosterone in males. You want the cholesterol as well because whether or not you consume cholesterol, your body produces 1,000-3,000mg of it everyday. If you don't consume cholesterol, your body has to go through a 30-step process of producing it; whereas when you consume it your body actually recycles 90% of it because it wants cholesterol that much. Also, even though your brain makes up 2% of your body weight, it contains 25% of your body's cholesterol. Lean meats are more expensive so it's actually a win-win by avoiding them.

As for whey, whey is a good protein. But in its supplemental form, it has been processed and denatured so much. You're better of getting it from milk. Goat milk is easier to digest and humans absorb it muuuuuuuuch more efficiently than cows milk. However the consumption of both milks have shown to increase Insulin Growth Factor 1 (IGF1) in humans. So not only are you (again) going to avoid dashing out money for supplements, but by buying milk you're getting whey in a more natural form, with the additional micronutrients, and an increase in the production of growth hormones within your body.

Godspeed with respect to your physiological goals, brother.

3. [quote name='"pleiadian"']Loading is a trick so that you use your product that much faster, so you're back at the store faster. GNC is over-priced too. If you want to buy supplements, go to bodybuilding.com

Creatine from red meat (cattle, bison, horse, etc.) is far more superior than pharmaceutically synthesized creatine in some lab. Even thought you're consuming more creatine by buying it in the powder and you could argue that it might absorb quicker (as if that's a good thing?), creatine from meat sources just sticks to the human muscles more efficiently; whereas this weird form of lab-produced creatine tens to depart from human muscles a lot quicker. Ever heard of the saying, 'faster up, faster down'? The same applies here. Your body is definitely going to recognize, accept, and retain creatine from natural sources better than it is if it came in a denatured state.

However since you have it, only take it post-work out if you're asking for my recommendation. Two reasons; so your body doesn't get dependent on it and so when you stop taking it you lose all the water weight accumulated from it. Two, that's really when it's going to be of most benefit; after you depleted your ATP (energy) from your muscles. If you take it everyday then your body depends on this extra boost of synthetic ATP - whereas if you take it only after your workout then you replenish what you lost so you can start healing that much quicker while avoiding the situation in which your body depends on the daily consumption of it.

To be honest, from here on out it would be better just to get your creatine from red meat. You avoid spending money on supplements, it will stick to you better in the long-run, and red meat has calories - so this is just part of your weekly grocery bill. Also avoid the lean meats; you want the fats from red meat. The fats from red meat are not only rich in micronutrients, but are mostly composted of monounsaturated and saturated fats - both of which are proven to increase testosterone in males. You want the cholesterol as well because whether or not you consume cholesterol, your body produces 1,000-3,000mg of it everyday. If you don't consume cholesterol, your body has to go through a 30-step process of producing it; whereas when you consume it your body actually recycles 90% of it because it wants cholesterol that much. Also, even though your brain makes up 2% of your body weight, it contains 25% of your body's cholesterol. Lean meats are more expensive so it's actually a win-win buy avoiding them.

As for whey, whey is a good protein. But in its supplemental form, it has been processed and denatured so much. You're better of getting it from milk. Goat milk is easier to digest and humans absorb it muuuuuuuuch more efficiently than cows milk. However the consumption of both milks have shown to increase Insulin Growth Factor 1 (IGF1) in humans. So not only are you (again) going to avoid dashing out money for supplements, but by buying milk you're getting whey in a more natural form, with the additional micronutrients, and an increase in the production of growth hormones within your body.

Godspeed with respect to your physiological goals, brother.[/quote]

Nice reply and I think I might look into those foods more, but I think I might also keep taking my own stuff. I see that I'm not going to be loading now maybe some other method, or just after my workout. Thx a lot, brother.

4. Any other responses for creatine?

5. I take optimum nutritions creatine. It's very inexpensive and good quality. I totally agree with the other guy, getting all your protein, vitamins and minerals through natural food sources are the best option, but no really practical for creatine. You would need to eat a lot of steak, rare, to get a therapeutic dose. There is no harm or shame in taking supplements, just do whatever you feel comfortable with.

6. If you're taking creatine, drink no less than a gallon of water a day.

7. Basically everything pleiadian said sums it up. Creatine is only effective as long as you take it. I mean yeah it may put on mass but in the end it is mostly water-weight that doesn't get solidified. If you want to put on size, just lift hard, eat well!

Best of luck to you!

8. It doesn't make you gain muscle. It puts you in a better position to build muscle. You still need to eat a ton and push yourself while lifting.

9. Waste of money IMO, just train hard, full body every session, squats are your best friend.

10. #10 Glen222, Oct 19, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2012
    Honestly speaking I never used Creatine to get some quick results. I just do believe that working out hard is the only way to get the good and long term results any side effects. Such supplements may be effective but in long run you have to act in a more natural way rather to use them throughout your life.

Cary Fitness Center

11. Consult bodybuilding.com, they have a plethora of information.

Gaining weight is a full time job, managing your diet and lifestyle always!

12. Sorry for the wait guys, lol. So Ive also been on the warrior diet and I work out 3-4 days a week with Sat. or Sunday being off days. Creatine definitely help with me getting more reps and working out more. I feel less sore the day after. And btw I remember reading somewhere that not enough studies have been found to show long term effects of creatine... yet. As the second guy said I am only taking it before and after workouts. Also Ive had some symptoms of post nasal drip but I still tried to push myself in the gym yesterday. Still feel like crap though.

13. This post exactly. It is only like a strength boost to push yourself even further. I only take one scoop a day (5g i think it is?) and it was dirt cheap, its a great supp to take.

14. Yea now i just take creatine before and after a workout, helps a lot. thx for all the great replies GC

15. Creatine has been studied for decades, the long term effects are definitely validated.

It's completely safe.