Create your own Perfect Society.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Jane_Bellamont, Aug 23, 2016.

1. Say that construction technology became advanced enough to one day enable us to affordable colonize the oceans with floating structures.

Say you could afford to build your own floating island and create your own society. What would it look like, how would it function?

[​IMG]

We've arrived on the island with nothing but shipping containers, tents and cargo boats full of supplies, and we're ready to start building the perfect society.

Here's 3 simple elements I would consider:

A healthy and strong market.

These should be the building blocks of any society worth a damn. I would create an environment where entrepreneurs can thrive, with only a moderate amount of taxation and also moderate, common-sense regulation (such as young people having to show ID when buying liquor, etc.)

All drugs would be legal, and taxed at the same rate as all other goods and services. People will be able to buy them clean and reliably, from pharmaceutical companies .. instead of blowing themselves up at home with a DIY lab .. thus reducing the overall harm of recreational drug use in society.

Supermarkets, bars, nightclubs, stripclubs, cannabis coffee shops .. shopping malls .. etc. Everything would be allowed to open 24/7.

Land property is the only thing that cannot be privately owned, or rather .. only a tiny percentage of the island's surface area would be up for sale. There will be a residential area and a commercial area.

Every citizen will automatically become the owner of a small section of the island within the residential area, upon arrival. If they want to build a house, they will have to pay for the construction materials and all that .. but the plot of land will belong to them. Probably no more than 10-20 square meters. They could put a cheap shipping container inside this plot of land and live inside that if they want to. So just the plot of land will be free, but the actual housing they will have to pay for themselves. Otherwise, if they can't afford to build, they will have to find a place that they can rent.

The same rule applies for business owners. If a business owner wants to open a supermarket, they would simply have to lease a plot of land within the commercial area .. which will be free of charge.. and then build the supermarket there. The exact location can be negotiated by the community.

Minimalistic but efficient government spending

Every citizen will receive a universal basic income. No strings attached, just be a citizen or a resident. If you're working and earning an income, the weekly payments still continue as usual.

The weekly payments will be considerably low, probably something equivalent to 50 USD a week, especially because rent will be pretty much a thing of the past, due to the fact that every citizen will have the right to a small plot of land, in which they can build whatever they want and then live in it, even just a $5000 retro-fitted shipping container, or a tent. Most people coming to the island would be aware of that, and would have saved up enough money to at least get a shipping container home.

Modern Tiny House on Wheels in Oakland, California

[​IMG]

The military will be entirely in charge of the nation's safety .. putting out fires, rescuing people from car accidents, catching thieves, warding off pirates, etc. The entire airforce and even the navy will consist of drones and robots, as will eventually the armed forces, too. Pacifist self-defense will be the only war policy .. absolutely no amount of overseas intervention will be acceptable. What happens in other countries is their own business. Foreign aid will nonetheless be entirely up to the private sector to accomplish, such as helping hurricane victims in Fiji or something.

World-class mental and physical health care

You can't run a country with unhappy citizens. It tends to go to shit really quick. The military medical department will offer all citizens free monthly nurse visits. The nurse must have outstanding emotional intelligence, presentation and language skills. Ideally, she must be female, although the client can choose. He or she will come to your house and inquire about your health, how valued you feel in the community, if you are lonely, if you have high blood pressure, digestion problems, etc.

This preventative social and physical health program will eventually pay off in the form of decreased need for nation-wide medical care.

[​IMG]

There will be lots of social clubs within the residential area, where people can just hang around and talk, play pool, video games, etc. as long as they're engaging in face-to-face communication. If somebody has problems socializing or relating to other members of the community, they can attend free courses for improved social health. There will also be dating clubs as well, where lonely people looking for a partner can join in and meet others. A real life dating site, practically. These will also be government funded.

It should be noted that while there is freedom of speech and freedom of religion in the nation .. there will be no democratic elections, as it would defeat the entire purpose of the country. If you don't like the politics, you would arguably have no reason to live there in the first place, and you'd be free to leave. :cool:

[​IMG]

2. Id build a stable house in the depths of the ocean with teleporters to teleport me back to the city whenever i needed to go out

3. "moderate taxation" won't be enough to fund your utopia.

• Like Like x 5
  4. Depends on what you mean by moderate.

I consider European tax rates to be moderate. American tax rates I would consider ... relatively low, especially for the upper class ... and tax money .. grossly mis-spent and mis-managed.

• Like Like x 2
  5. What do you do about imprisoning people? Do you imprison them or deport them?

• Like Like x 2
  6. Dude.. That is the creepiest fucking society ever. So much crazy shit.

Courses for improved mental health for those who don't relate to other members of society?
    What the fuck is that?

• Like Like x 2
  7. #7 Vicious, Aug 23, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2016
    I gotta think about this.

8. Harry McClintock's Big Rock Candy Mountain comes to mind: here's a part of it -

In the Big Rock Candy Mountains
    All the cops have wooden legs
    And the bulldogs all have rubber teeth
    And the hens lay soft-boiled eggs
    The farmers' trees are full of fruit
    And the barns are full of hay
    Oh I'm bound to go
    Where there ain't no snow
    Where the rain don't fall
    The winds don't blow

You never change your socks
    And the little streams of alcohol
    Come trickling down the rocks
    The brakemen have to tip their hats
    And the railway bulls are blind
    There's a lake of stew
    And of whiskey too
    You can paddle all around em
    In a big canoe

• Like Like x 3
  9. I would first off declare myself emperor, employ some ex US military (i point, they shoot) and raise the skull and crossbones.

We would tour the world recruiting cannon fodder, the more despicable the better, pillaging anything and everything we encounter.

• Like Like x 4
  10. During the first stages of a brand new nation's development, deportation would obviously save the country a lot more resources than having its own prisons.

As the country expands and grows bigger, it can consider creating its own corrections departments.

11. Whats stopping these individual states from polluting the environment the way billions upon billions do already? With little to no regard for the effects. We're already a tumor on the land, you want to further infect the waters? Have you checked the coral reef system near Australia? Isnt New Zealand in that Neighborhood?
    This would be a totally cool idea if we have could somehow make humans live by 'honour' code and sort not shit on everything around us, the way we do now.

• Like Like x 1
  12. I'll just put that as a place to avoid on my travels

The core principal of freedom is the only notion to obey. - Dimmu Borgir

13. I would just live there with my family and nobody else.

• Like Like x 2
  14. How about everyone treats each other with respect and be considerate with each other

• Like Like x 1
  15. My perfect society is located in remote country where we live off our land, provide our own food, build with our own two hands, and contains one other member besides myself.

My husband and I call it homesteading :D

16. That doesn't sound sustainable...

Anyone here read Stranger in a Strange Land?