Crazy Confused Trichomes

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by Slow Old Guy, Nov 17, 2018.

1. I think you need to restart completely fresh and keep it simple. Ro water would help to.

• Like Like x 1
  2. thanks for the reply Dan,
    this is the second time this has been brought up, but i can not afford to throw out everything and buy new fert's, 'soil', amendments, tent, house, water, seeds.......
    also.....i see too many GC members using the same stuff i m using to call it all junk,
    there is a whole Coco thread section here.!

No guarantees, but......
    >i think my 'soil' is good, used peat and coco with this same problem,
    >lights r good, went from HID to QB, everything improved except the trichomes maturing/purple'ing,
    >i think carbon levels r fine, no signs of carbon deficiencies and i have introduced 'extra' fresh air lately,
    (carbon info has been split, either vague or detailed down to how the cells absorb C3 and C4 and how they transfer and convert it to different Carbons and how each cell uses them, very confusing for a stoner, lol)
    >strains r all doing the same purple streaks, even the one month old Nirvana seedlings,
    >water has been changed, put em on well water once, but they did not like it,now i m diluting my shitty city water with my well, not ideal, but all i got for now,
    >no light leaks, darker then a cave with the light off (veg light on of course),

adjustments have been made for 6+ months now,
    I've made changes for weeks at a time if nothing bad was happening and now have tried......
    higher pH, lower pH, more/less watering, higher P, lower N, more fresh air (window craked open 24/7), epsom salt, HID/LED (high, low, and now running medium/suggested wattage), peat/coco,city/well waters, probably other shit i can't think of right now.....
    now i strongly believe that the purple'ing is directly related to the trichomes not maturing,

i have not changed fert's yet, but now adding a Micro that has the Zn and Br in it that GH Maxi does not,
    only other fert i have right now is Alaska 'Naturals' Grow, Bloom, and Micro, their fish emulsion, and some Espoma dry fert. (skeered to use the Grow/Bloom, at full strength it bottoms out the pH, takes 8.0 city water down to 3.8, and pH up tickles it instead of changing it)

Is there ANYTHING else i can try, other then scrapping everything, moving, and starting over.?????
    at this point i feel like I'd have to change my name also, maybe a thumb replacement.!! LOL

not starting an argument man, trying to get more responses.!!!

3. #63 dan min, Dec 5, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
    I understand living on a budget but you cant cancel out the peat and coco that was previously involved in this tricombe problem cuz your still using it. It's probably a environmental problem because all strains are affected. Something in the pot is causing the problem dirt water or fertilizer

• Like Like x 2
  4. Have you tried using bigger pots? the ones you are using are awfully small IMO. This could be a problem if the root mass isnt big enough to support the nutrient needs of the plant.

I keep my mother plants in 1gallon pots and about 3 weeks ago I realized I needed to take clones as my flowering plants were about to finish. Problem was I have just heavily trimmed the moms a few days prior (zero planning ahead skills here lol!).
    So, I had the idea of giving them a kelp tea, as kelp contains growth hormones, and so i did. A few days later I saw new shoot growth coming out of every node, so being in a rush I decided to now give them an alfalfa tea (As a side note, kelp promotes branching and alfalfa promotes growth in general).

Anyhow, what followed was the plants started growing really fast but the shoots were all thin and all the stalks got marked with red streaks just like yours, starting from the bottom up. Also the plants started looking a bit sickly and generally deficient.
    To me it was obvious what happened, the sudden growth spurt caused by the input of growth hormones have caused a deficiency due to the plants being in small pots that couldn't provide enough nutrients during this time of high demand. I made a compost slurry and top dressed each plant with about an inch of it and about a week later I'm already seeing improvement in the plants that started greening up and look a lot more lively, which again supports my suspicion that the small root mass just couldn't handle the demand.

5. thanks for all the info ScOOby.!!
    yes, the 1st 2 plants were in peat/vermiculite/perlite in 3 gal plastic pots.
    also have grown 12" - 22" tall SoG plants in the one gal octo's of peat and of coco, no differences.
    WIN_20180831_16_03_36_Pro.jpg WIN_20180716_09_17_23_Pro.jpg WIN_20180716_09_18_36_Pro.jpg WIN_20180928_00_32_39_Pro.jpg
    LOL, gotta treat moms like banzai, always trimming for the future.!
    that was a Nitrogen boost, i use Alfalfa and Soy meals for garden 'fertilizer', they can be hot if applied too thick.
    your pH probably bottomed out after the teas, applied lightly teas will promote robust/healthy growth by stimulating the micro organisms, but too strong and they seriously excite the microbes in the soil, as they speed up the pH, O2, and N levels change and can change 'quickly'.!!
    a good compost will moderate soil and boost microbes, the proper amount (hard to over do it) of good compost will make a pH perfect high energy soil.!!!
    DSCN0252.JPG DSCN0253.JPG DSCN0254.JPG 7' tall Romas.! squash in front of em, rest of garden behind em.!!
    DSCN0258.JPG DSCN0259.JPG DSCN0260.JPG 8" tall heirloom tomato, don't remember what it was, sry.
    no till, compost twice a year, soy/alfalfa meals 2-4 times, and wheat straw mulch is its fertilizers.!!

my tomatoes mature real nice, but i can not move my indoor crop into the garden, not yet.!

6. I bought this property almost 10 yrs ago, the first 3 yrs no tomato plant survived,
    they would get a Fusarium Wilt and die from the bottom up,
    the 1st yr they died before the fruit got red, 2nd they almost bore red fruit,
    by the 3rd yr they were making red tomatoes, but still dying, not eatable,
    after that, the compost has nurtured the beneficial micros and they have not experienced the F. Wilt since.!!

7. Well yeah but it looks like you also vegged these plants in the bigger pots more so that kinda defeats the purpose of using a bigger pot to handle high nutrient demand.

8. i think this root ball is from the plant in the pics,
    DSCN2342.JPG a very full pot, but not root bound, the perlite/coco on the bench is what fell off the top of the ball.!
    DSCN2351.JPG no circling, no fat/tuff roots..... I've grown in much smaller with the same size plants, with hydro nutes it is just a matter of supply and demand.!!
    I spend a lot of effort making healthy roots, ain't easy with high powered hydro nutes.!
    DSCN2309.JPG DSCN2305.JPG DSCN2306.JPG
    the roots have lost their white from being chopped 2-3 days ago, as u can see.... no straggly growth, no abnormal deficiencies for 9 weeks flower, descent size and dense colas.

only symptoms r purple stems and petioles with trich's not maturing, the thorn in my ass.!!

the purple is starting on the new Nirvana seedlings...
    DSCN2343.JPG DSCN2349.JPG this is sooooooo depressing, in 3-4 weeks these should be cloned and ready for 12/12, but with the purple'ling going on i m 100% sure they will not ever fully mature.

9. @Soil2Coco , @trojangrower , @LabRat , @Tbone Shuffle @anyone wanting to say "huh, that's odd"

this is the craziest bud pics u will EVER see......

pretty mature, tasty looking buds....
    DSCN2360.JPG DSCN2361.JPG DSCN2362.JPG DSCN2363.JPG

if u look close all the clear trichs look illuminated from the light reflecting through them.... [sniffle sniffle]
    OOOhhh Christmas Tree.... [snifle snifle] OoOhhHHh Chrrrissttmas Treahhhh, [bawling] [sucking thumb]
    DSCN2368.JPG DSCN2369.JPG

took these to show that even the fluff from the bottom is covered in trichs....
    DSCN2372.JPG DSCN2373.JPG
    what ever in the f**k is messing with the trichs does not seem to effect the growth of the plants.

currently watering with 1/2 city 1/2 well waters, 1/2 strength GH Maxi, 3/4 strength Alaska Micro,
    so far after a week there is no improvement.
    in a week i m going to start importing water from my old city water source, it was/is great municipal water.!!

• Like Like x 2
  10. Nice looking stuff. I don't see anything that weird just some dank flowers. Mine look very similar.
    IMG_1113.JPG

• Like Like x 3
  11. Those seedlings look like they could use a slightly stronger feed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. at $9 a seed i have babied these seedlings like no other in the past.! LOL

as usual they did not like the up potting in the coco/perlite, and i have added perlite, ~66/33 now,
    after they get a little bigger they will take off and love the coco, growth wise not stem color,
    when small everything has grown slow, i m trying less water now, trying not to saturate the coco until they r bigger.
    WIN_20181130_10_52_06_Pro.jpg WIN_20181130_10_51_17_Pro.jpg WIN_20181130_10_52_20_Pro.jpg they were loving the small pots and getting fed every other day.!

• Like Like x 1
  13. look at the darker spots and u can really see the trichs 'lit up' from the camera flash......
    there is not an amber trich on any bud or sugar leaf.....
    sticky, stinky, dense, looking good shit until u look in the microscope. DSCN2369.JPG

i don't even have to zoom in and i can see the little LED's shining.!! LOL, damn it man.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Purple tends to show the crystals more. Some strains just get really furry as well.
    I always hear that coco doesn't like to dry out. Some people go to twice a day feeding when the plants get larger or automated feeding to keep them moist. IMG_9983.JPG

• Like Like x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  15. So is there a water pump in the black bucket that feeds the plant twice a day or so? Nice.

16. its left on constantly, but yeah, can feed it more i think this way.

• Like Like x 1
  17. agreed, i m having problems with anything maturing, they get to 15% cloudy 85% clear and never progress,
    i can not get a closer pic, but u can see all the 'illuminated' trich's in my big pic,
    yours has a twinkle here and there, but it is on the sugar leaves that can have trich's at any stage.!
    that is right, the plants go from doing good to dying when coco gets dry.
    they say it skrewies with the pH/nutrients when it gets dry, but i have not experienced that.
    when the plants get root bound in coco u can feed like hydro with highly oxygenated nutrient solution, but i m using it to replace peat based mixes and growing like 'soil',
    coco is way more renewable then ancient peat...... idk if it is worth twice the price tho.!! LOL

thank u for the pics, beautiful bud man.!!!

• Like Like x 1
  18. finally got a 'water report' from the Shitty City Water Co.......

substance.,, Detected Amount.,, acceptable levels
    turbidity ....,,, 0.8 NTU ....,,, 0.05 - 0.19
    copper ....,,, 0.0476 ppm ...,,, ----
    fluoride ....,,, o.38 ppm ....,,, 0.31 - 0.47
    chlorine ....,,, 2.03 ppm ....,,, 1.65 - 2.23
    ... lead ....,,,, 3.0 ppb ....,,,, ----
    .nitrate ....,,,, 1.14 ppm ....,,,, ----
    sodium ....,,,, 9.36 ppm ....,,,, ----
    trihalomethanes., 46.8 ppb ., 9 - 70
    organic carbon ., 0.95 ppm ., 0.57 - 1.3
    halo acetic acids, 58.8 ppm., 9 - 83

170'ish ppm total.....????
    at home it measures 0.2 EC and 7.9 - 8.0 pH.

anyone see anything that is too high for cannabis.?

• Like Like x 1
  19. Although all of this is above my "pay grade" so to speak... I think that is pretty high ppm coming out the tap. But only in comparison to the ppm of my tap which is usually around 35-50ish straight out no sitting. I was worried about my tap and pH my last run and got so sick of it, that I said effit and been collecting and storing rain water...ppm-7 ph-neutral.. I let the oyster and lime worry about pH. I have had no probs (yet) and don't even touch the 8 or something bottles of up or down. I can't say it's a this or that because this is only my 3rd trip around the block. But I can say life has been easier with filtered rain water.

• Like Like x 1