Cracking joint piece with hot domeless use

Discussion in 'Concentrate Tools' started by Troykilla, May 26, 2015.

1. #1 Troykilla, May 26, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2015
    I am using a rig that is male jointed, and has a female domelessIm afraid that if the nail is left on after excessive use then the glass could be too hot and crack moving the piece around..

I recently  broke a rig piece that was exposed to heat similar to that and the piece broke and dropped the domeless..

should i be removing the nail after each session?

Attached Files:

2. Get a drop down if thats your concern. If its high quality glass it shouldn't be an issue unless you are torching the joint directly. Cheaper quality glass will break from the heat exchange, boro silicate shouldn't.

3. you do realise that bongs/rigs are made on a torch right? with near-molten glass?

the problem isnt the glass being hot, its being heated or cooled too fast. Glass expands and contracts with heat/cold, so as long as its happening at a slow enough rate and you dont get your nail as hot as the sun you should be fine.

4. Jimmy carter has it right. Low temp dabs are your friend. And if you are worried, like others have said, get a good drop-down. That way, you can break that and still have your rig and only break the drop down in the event of over-zealous heating.

5.  if its shit china glass then the wall thickness wont be as uniform so the molecules will have more stress, making heating and cooling a bigger issue then if ts american made by a good blower. basically if its american made your fine as long as you arnt completely roasting your nail and hitting the joint, if its china made you might be ok but you might not, its a  50/50.

6. Hit up this guy if you want harsh oil!

7. He has very serphisticated storage parkages!

8. Wait, he puts it in an airtight bag, then another one?!? Thats incredibly sophisticated!

9. cheap glass acts cheap. i treat my cheap glass like a 2 dollar hooker. [​IMG]

10. I thought that male joints were introduced because of this problem.  When you heat the nail it should come off easier, not get stuck on.

11. #11 DabsOnTheMountain, Jul 6, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2015
    I thought that they were introduced for dome and nail setups...

And just heat up the nail and pull it off with pliers while it's still hot. It's probably claim just holding the nail in place. Don't force it though. If it won't come off then maybe just leaving it be and fumbling with it every now and then until it comes off really is your best option. It will pop off eventually.

12. Makes sense too, I wasn't really sure, just my guess.