Crackin old beans

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by Sherlock Clones, Aug 20, 2019.

1. Found some seeds from a cross we made.. it was R2 x shishkaberry.. there from 2007..any tips on crackin old seeds..
    Thanks
    SC

2. i think they will be fine but there is only 1 way to find out :D good im intrigued to watch this develop i have a friend which crossed his first creation big bud male x blueberry female and it was a great performer good luck :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Soak them in water till you see a tail. 24hrs to....That way you'll know if there good. IMO they should be.

• Like Like x 1
  4. That R2 strain use to be very strong and popular here but has been watered down over time..its an f1 cross so im hoping to be able to find a R2 female more like what it was 10 yrs back

• Like Like x 1
  5. Some folks lightly sandpaper the beans edges to encourage an easier popping.

:smoke:

• Like Like x 2
  6. May try cocnut water as well.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Found this too.

:smoke:

• Like Like x 2
  8. Thanks bro

• Like Like x 1
  9. I've never seen seeds sprout while soaking in water. I've put seeds in a glass of water too see which ones float and which ones sink to determine viability but never had any actually sprout in water. I've had them split open but never show a tap root. Have you tried it? Will they actually sprout and grow a root in water?

10. My mother in-law 2nd huaband has 30-40 year old seeds. Hmmm.....

BL

• Like Like x 1
  11. As long as the germ inside the seed doesn't dry out completely theyll still be viable. But if they're dry as a bone they're just collectors items.

12. Interesting technique. I have some ten year old Mendocino Purps seeds that are so hard to germinate and its so frustrating. I usually help them along by gently splitting the shell open. I'm going to try the sanding technique.

13. What is a germ? Think you mean embryo. Lol...

14. #14 puffnstuff1960, Aug 22, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
    Yes I did my seeds this year like that for the first time. One cracked and a tail after 24hrs. Some were days 3-5. As soon as I seen tails they were planted in my soil. Worked great gonna do it that way 2020 also.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Hmmmm I have some old Mendocino Purps seeds I'm going to try that with. They have about a 3%-5% germination rate in paper towels. All my other seeds have a 99% germination rate in paper towels.

• Like Like x 1