Cracked seed

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by Mr. French, Nov 21, 2015.

1. I recently got some vision jack herer seeds from family traveling. One had basically a square hole cracked into the more pointed side. Figuring what the hell I soaked in and dropped in in a small pot of soil. I normally germinate in a paper towel but assumed it was a goner and just planted it. A week later curiosity got the best of me and I gently dug it up to see a taproot had emerged through the hole, but the seed showed no sign of popping. That was a week ago. Today I again inspected it to find it in the same situation with the taproot browned. I'm assuming it's dead, I put it in a paper towel just to see if it will extend any further, but I'm assuming it's dead. You can see the actual seedling through the whole still green. I'm wondering if I should have tried (or still try) gently cracking the side. Anyone have any thoughts or experience with the situation?

2. Handling seeds over and over and monkeying w taproot will just cause more harm than good. Id leave it be, if its a good seed it will pop if not than no

3. I should have germinated it properly, I was being lazy.

4. You can be very tough with shells, after all they are but packaging

Get a pin and very gently pick off one shell side

careful not to damage any 'meat' or the tail

I did this myself not 3 weeks ago to a very stubborn shell case

you can also file off the case, use a nail file or something tiny

good luck