Cow shit?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by sabre61fan, Nov 24, 2008.

1. :smoke:If i take some cow shit from my Buddy's pasture now will it be OK to us this spring or will it still be to hot. I have a foot locker lined with plastic with some old fox farm soil, old pro mix and a Little chicken shit. I plan on adding two cow pies, some more pro mix and a dozen or two earthworms. Occasionally I will add some stale bread. Will this compost enough by spring.

2. I just thought about this. What do you think about adding a few pages of newspaper shredded up to the soil?

3. Like all animal manure, cow shit needs to be well rotted. Not sure how long it takes.

4. I'm guessing it will compost enough... If not then just wait ab it longer

5. take that manure and put it in a pile. it will be good for next year. most nutrients arent in usable form in fresh manure, not to mention all the pasture seeds waiting to give you headaches...

6. #6 thisisfunforme, Nov 24, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2008
    honestly is it worth all that when you could goto the store and buy a 40LB bag of composted cow menure for 1.50$?

and on another note adding bread and stuff is just gonna attract anamils and bugs to your plants...as far as the worms go i would make a worm compost binand collect the casting from there...IMHO

7. Cow dung unlike horse manure doesn't contain many viable weed seeds. I would recommend composting it in a pile for 5-6 months to break down. I add newspaper and shredded phone books to my compost heap...it is a good source of "brown" stuff.

8. what you could do is get a big water tank and a big hemp/hessian bag something like this http://www.thegardenersshop.co.uk/hessianpotato-sacks-large--printed-pack-of-10-172-p.asp

fill the bag with cow shit, stick it in the water for a few weeks and you got some good liquid fertilizer, just take the bag of cowshit out after a few weeks and stick it on the compost pile :D

remember though they feed cows all kinds of shit these days and sprey fields so ya :rolleyes:

9. i think youll have some good nitrogen if your using chicken manure. it does tend to burn with too high of a concentration tho so be careful. I think its because it has too much nitrogen in it or something. id say if hes gut horses, try pickin some of h poo up. i think you could buy past using chicken manure all together b/c h poo has more nitrogen than cow poo but not enough to burn the roots. i dunno use what you gut and see what happens but go easy on the chickn shit.