Covering walls with mirrors?

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by 420inthe407, Nov 17, 2009.

1. Im building a small stealh box, either out of a pc tower or a slightly larger speaker box. have realized it would be pretty easy to cut some thin glass mirror for 3 walls, floor and top of the grow box for a relatively cheap price. Wouldn't this be the most efficient form of light reflection?

2. everyone will tell you that mirrors cause hotspots, which can burn the plants, buy mylars is like 98% reflective so it would be just as bad. i uase mylar, but i used to use mirrors in a 3x3x6 growbox and never had a problem with heat or burning the plants

3. If you just paint your walls flat white, you will find that it reflects light just fine. Actually a wall painted flat white is more reflective than mirrors (so I have read in the Marijuana Grow Bible.) A couple of gallons of paint are real cheap, cheaper than mirrors, and again, more reflective. It is also easy to find.

4. I think i read somewhere that mirrors actually eat light. I could be mistaken but white paint or mylar is the way to go.

5. Common sense would say that mirrors actually reflect light, not "eat it". Do you have anything more than hearsay to prove that they do, or that they reflect less light than white, or are you just regurgitating things you read but dont know the source of?

6. this

but go ahead and use mirrors. They rock.

7. "Metallic mirrors reflect infrared light (heat) and if your mirror has imperfections this will cause hot spots, which can burn plants. Please note hot spots also apply to Mylar and Foil and IMO is not applicable to growers using small amounts of fluorescent lighting."

source:
    marijuana seeds growing - Are mirrors good for reflecting light?

8. Sweet man thanks, thats exactly the kind of evidence I was looking for. I re-read my post earlier and it came off a little dickish

9. mirrors and mylar reflect the light but white paint disperses it. so instead of light being reflected in one spot, it breaks it up over a larger area, which could be better for a plant. mirrors do not eat light

10. i use panda film because it can be taken down, the white "even if paint" seems to give off brighter more even light. these are only my own conclusions having tried several materials.

lol :bongin: chetto