Cover songs that are better than the original?

Discussion in 'Music genres, Bands and Artists' started by TheHempress, Aug 8, 2006.

1. There are a few songs that I just *love* that I think are so much better than the original. So let's list songs that we think were better the second time around.

Cake - I Will Survive (cover of Gloria Gaynor)
    Failure - Enjoy the Silence (cover of Depeche Mode; I actually love both versions, but Failure's rock take rules!)
    HIM - Wicked Game (cover of Chris Isaak; I'm not much of a HIM fan, but I do think this cover is better than the original. And I happen to like both.)
    Marilyn Manson - I Put A Spell On You (cover of Screamin' Jay Hawkins)
    Orgy - Blue Monday (cover of New Order)
    Papa Roach - Gouge Away (cover of The Pixies)
    Richard Cheese - Down With The Sickness (cover of Disturbed)
    Sunshine Blind - I Ran (cover of A Flock of Seagulls)
    The Smashing Pumpkins - Dancing In The Moonlight (cover of Thin Lizzy)
    The Smashing Pumpkins - Never Let Me Down Again (cover of Depeche Mode; I love both versions, though.)

2. All Along The Watchtower - Jimi Hendrix (Bob Dylan cover)

Little Wing - Stevie Ray Vaughan (Jimi Hendrix [I have debates with myself over this :p])

3. Ben Folds Five- Bitches Aint Shit

Definately the funniest cover ever.

I like the CCR version of I put a Spell on You though

Johnny Cash's Danny Boy is amazing, and his cover of Desperado

Ben Harper and Jack Johnson's cover of Bob Marley's High Tide or Low Tide is nice too.

4. Hurt by Johnny Cash

True colours by Phil collins

5. Hmm..This isnt really a song that has been produced and released, but on Rockstar this dude (ryan star) did a remake of R.E.M - losing my religion, with nothing but a piano, i thought it was wayy better than the original..he has a good voice.

6. Victor Wooten's cover of Amazing Grace using just harmonics on the bass.....astounding.

Phish - Frankenstein (originally Edgar Winter)

p.s. I really like this thread!

7. Victor Wooten is fuckinf crazy.
    I didnt know Edgar Winter wrote frankenstein. i just saw johnny.
    awesome taste in music man.

8. Hendrix - All along the WatchTower

Alkaline Trio - The Metro

Lou Reed - This magic moment

Nirvana - The man who sold the world (well, it's tough. i love bowie)

Mahogany Rush - Jonny B. Good

CCR - I put a spell on you

9. I'm seeing Bela Fleck on Friday, I'm so fucking pumped.

Then in November, I'm seeing the Chick Corea Elektric Band with Wooten playing bass. I can't wait for that...my mind is going to be blown watching his fingers move, haha.

10. Korn-Word up, better than the Cameo version. The music video's a mindfuck.

11. I've been listening to a lot of Richard Cheese lately. I really like his cover of "Somebody Told Me" by The Killers.

12. Anything by Richard Cheese and the Lounge Against the Machine is guaranteed to be better than the original. Who doesn't love hearing songs like "People = Shit" in a jazz lounge setting?

Another excellent cover band is Easy Star All Stars. They have two albums that i know about, one is Dub Side of the Moon which is a reggae cover of Dark Side of the Moon (fucking amazing). The other is Radiodread which is a reggae cover of Radiohead.

Gone Phishin' plays some great bluegrass covers of Phish.

I'm not sure who does it, but I have alot of modern music covered by a large strings orchestra. Tool, Marilyn Manson, Led Zeppelin, Radiohead, Linkin Park

What can i say, i like music played not in it's original form haha.

13. Good song, I also like their version of Rooftops (on the hot water music split)

My other choice would be Smashing Pumpkins' cover of Fleetwood Mac's "Landslide"

14. I'm going to have to respectfully disagree. Chuck Berry's Johnny B. Goode is the best rock song of all time, in my opinion.

Grateful Dead - Big River (Johnny Cash)
    Jimi Hendrix - All Along the Watchtower (Dylan)
    The Byrds - Turn Turn Turn (Pete Seeger)

15. John Mayall's Bluesbreakers - All Your Love (I Miss Loving)
    The Doors - Gloria

16. Johnny Cash - Personal Jesus
    Propagandhi - I Want You to Want Me
    Sublime - Smoke Two Joints

Any SRV cover of Jimi Hendrix

17. Guitar Man - Cake (Bread)
    Whiskey River - Cross Canadian Ragweed (Willie Nelson)
    Whiskey in the Jar - Metallica or Dubliners (Old irish folk song)
    Give a Little Bit - Goo Goo Dolls (Supertramp)
    Friend of the Devil - Counting Crows (Grateful Dead... although their version is amazing too)
    Overkill - Lazlo Bane (Collin Hay)

18. SKULLS - lemonheads (misfits cover)

19. Yngwie Malmsteen - Carry on my Wayward son

20. you have heard GD's version right? nobody does it better than them.