Cover Crop

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by Incredi Nugs, Mar 4, 2012.

1. Am currently building no till 45 gallon pots. I currently ave German Chamomile growing and read about Bahia Grass. I could plant both on separate sides of the pot, but is it safe, effective, or should it be one or the other?

I plan to document the whole process and post my progress. And I owe a huge THANK YOU to "420"! For finding Morgans Compost in Michigan.

2. If they were in nature and seeds fell from different birds would they not both sprout and grow together? Maybe you are over thinking this a bit? let it come naturally... I never knew that grass species was nitrogen fixing. i dont see why you cant grow both of them? sounds like a good idea to me :)

3. I'll be growing white clover and bahia grass together.

4. you could get some alfalfa in there to the extent of fuck

5. This is going to be an epic build, can't wait to see it come together.:smoke::smoke:

6. Great idea. If I can accord it, I'll put it on my list.

I have most of my new extraction system bought and soon to be installed. Just need a 600W lumatek ballast and my new upgrades will be complete.

7. I'm outdoor and plan on using a hairy vetch/winter rye/oat combo late this fall to winter over and to be hand tilled into the top few inches (several times to insure death) next march. Raised bed, Its 40sqft of rich, dark, and made from scratch earth and Im proud of it.
    Heres an article on different approaches(timing) on planting the vetch outdoors. Enjoy.

(Almost) never too late to plant hairy vetch | Rodale Institute

VOO

8. I use these as cover plants
    [​IMG]

Im in Pennsylvania, i dont know where this stuff grows, its stange cuz its pretty much bamboo but i ahve no idea what it is! I would LOVE it if i could find a way to plant these suckers in big thick patches in specific areas, because the second week of summer these things are already 5 foot high and so thick you cant even walk through the woods.

9. Looks like bamboo to me. You shouldnt plant it tho. Its super invasive and very hard to kill. Its a great plant dont get me wrong. But it can easily get out of control

10. No need to plant, its already grown in abundance every summer nice and thick. But theres just some spots that it would be nice to have these, of course I picked a spot thats up on a hill side thats primarily those bushes with the thorns, its really thick shit max coverage, but is it even possible to plant these to get more in a specific area or should I just dig up some roots and all and re-plant? I'm not putting these things anywhere near my grow site but i just need to fill up some places in the tree line so be 100% sure nobody sees an entrance and goes "Oh hey, lets explore!"

11. What I think everyone is referring to here isn't actuall something they grow to cover up where their grow may be, it's a low cover grass/clover that actually can boost the microbial life of the soil. I hope I have that right! ;)

12. Yeah probably lol, cuz German Chamomile and Bahia Grass as the OP said their using on the sides of their plot...their not very tall plants xD

13. #13 420inMI, Mar 5, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2012
    [quote name='"blackey"']Yeah probably lol, cuz German Chamomile and Bahia Grass as the OP said their using on the sides of their plot...their not very tall plants xD[/quote]

Bingo:bongin: Alot of no-till farmers use a cover crop to help fix nutrients in the soil and provide aeration.

14. #14 WeeDroid, Mar 6, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2012
    I would call that companion crops rather than cover crops, unless you intend to cut down the bamboo and then plant your herbs where the bamboo were.

As I understand it, cover crops, as the term is used in agriculture, is a fill in plant until the main crops are planted. They help the soil recover from the main crop being grown.

LD thinks that bamboo humus would be perfect for cannabis. Due to it being a fast growing grass, and the soil microbes involved, potentially fostering fast growth in cannabis.

15. That looks awesome!

16. [quote name='"elvisfreshly"']What I think everyone is referring to here isn't actuall something they grow to cover up where their grow may be, it's a low cover grass/clover that actually can boost the microbial life of the soil. I hope I have that right! ;)[/quote]

Your spot on!

17. What kind of clover is best? Or best kinds? thinking about buying some tonight to add to a few ladies.

18. White clover. Hard to find online so search and order early. ;)

19. I'm going to check a local farm store. I see clover seed for sale just not sure what kind.

In a pinch would any clover work?