couple quick questions?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by dredi25, Feb 17, 2013.

1. Hello, im new to this site and growing, I got a new autoflowering seeds and im ready to start growing. I just have a few questions, i have one t5, double bulbed, i believe each bulb is 24w, 2000 lumens, 64000 - full day light spectrum. I also have a Lights of america grow light, not sure if its consider florescent or not, but the specs on that is 75w, 1093 lumens and 42000k light spectrum. I got a bag of Fox Farms Ocean Forest, and plan on using a 5 gallon, Smart pot(12" diameter, 9.5" height). Basically I was wondering if the pot was good enough, and if the setup i have would beable to give the plant a good yeild? Im only planning on growing one plant at a time for Now since this is all head smoke. I dont plan on using any nuts right now, for the simple fact that i dont really have the extra money, and plus since its my first grow i dont really wanna mess it up and kill it. I have a few different seeds i order from Attitude seed back, I got An Autoseed Berry Ryder, Nirvana Bubblicious, a Delicious Norther lights blue, and a delicious la diva. Has anyone had any expierence with any of these? and like i said would my setup be good enough for one plant?

2. You're not going to want to start out Ina five gallon pot. Start it in a solo red cup and make sure you put some drainage holes in the bottom. This will help in the process of developing a healthy strong root system.

3. I was reading that less stress on auto flowers were the best way to go so I figured sticking it in the pot was the best bet. Instead of using a solo cup, would a peat pot I believe their called work? Since its biodegradable I fiugred I could put that in the five gallon pot? That way I don't have to worry about stressing it when I transplant? If that's the case should I use basic organic seedling soil in the peat pot/solo cup and then switch to my fox farm when I bury/transplant it? Whatta bout everything else? Would my lights be suitable for one plant and produce a good yeild?

4. Honestly your yield with those lights would be disappointing.

5. Even for just ONE plant? Is it just cause of the lighting it is? Ive only been going by what ive been reading, the lumens and colors is the most important thing right? And from what ive added up, i figured it would be pretty decent. Thanks for your help! Have you used the smart pots before?

6. #6 GoldGrower, Feb 17, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2013
    re potting is not stressful if done properly
    what's a "smart pot"?

those degradable pots takes ages to let roots through properly. I do not recommend them

7. Blah, now that I'm reading...it says its for hydroponics. I'm gathering ghat wont work well for soil.

8. It's not just for Hyrdo. If you're using it with soil, the roots will get air pruned when they push through the sides. Its better for the plant than a 5 gal bucket. Allows better drainage so you don't have to worry about root rot.

I just moved mine from the cups to 1 gal, water jugs with drainage holes. from there I'll go to a 3 gal smart pot.

9. Nice thanks for your help! You think the five gallon is too big? I was starting to think I messed up a bit.

10. I think you'd be fine for your first grow with this setup for one plant just the way you described - good luck! And sure, the one 5 gallon smart pot would work out excellent for you.

J

11. Thanks for the info! And yes only one plant. I'm setting my goal at a 1/4 oz. So hopefully I can reach that. Just waiting for my soil to come in now. Then ill be ready to go. Thanks for the help! Ill check out the info! Thanks for all the help

12. Hey man smart pots are perfect for what your trying to do...I've only done a couple grows but I've used smart pots the last couple grows and they are fantastic...and I use soil. But the thing is you can't use cheap soil.or the roots come right threw and then your plant will stop growing. So make sure you have some nice fluffy soil.
    (I use fox farms ocean forest organic mix. You can get it offline pretty cheap. And also I'd go with a 3 gal 5 gal is to big for an auto your just gunna waste space. And start yout seedling in a jiffy peat pellet or whatever and plant right in smart pot once it starts to get its 2nd node...you only want to transplant an auto once right into its pot its gunna be harvested in. Good luck man

13. Its too late, already order them. They weren't too bad bad, 20$ for four of em. And I'm gonna be using fox farms ocean forest. Its taking forever to get here. Is the 5 gal gonna work even though its big? I was reading bigger the better

14. 30$ I mneant for five

15. bigger is certainly not better. there is optimum size for everything, too small or too big is going to give you a negative effect. don't start your plants in those pots or the soil will never dry and the roots will suffocate. start off with a 3-4" pot and step up the size a couple of times.

I dislike the idea of the roots coming through the pot and they drying and dying back. that just can't be good for the plant. I prefer my roots to grow as big and fast as possible. pruning them is going to slow overal growth and quite possibly stress the plant out

for an auto I would say a 10 litre pot is the largest you should go. I don't know what that is in american gallons, we have different gallons to you

if your going to use fox farm then you will need to thin it out with something inert like coco fibre or you will be over fertilising them. fox farm, coco fibre, perlite in a 1:1:1 ratio will work well

16. GG, it really depends on what your doing. I go from solos right into the organic soil number in #15 smart pots (12.5 imperial). My soil is constantly moist due to the SIPs. Nature controls everything from nutrition to moisture control. The plant grows at its own pace.

One advantage of the smart pot is the ability to provide aeration to the root system. The whole pot breaths. When the roots hit the side of the pot it root prunes causing more roots. The same as if you top a plant.

17. I guess ill just use a trial and error type system. Do you think I should beable to pull a quarter oz. With the stuff I have though? I plan on getting a better light next month. Just don't have money til then. It shouldn't hurt the plant switching lights right? I cant start the grow till my soil comes in anyways but I wanna start em asap. Like I said a qt oz is fine with me for now