couple questions- first time grower. I think I know what Im doing, just a lil advice

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by clee59, Apr 6, 2009.

1. OK...
    Im going to start growing. who can keep up with losing their suppilers all the time? just for personal use.

Im going to do 2 plants. This is what I plan on using:

Room:
    A completely empty white-walled closet. About 4' by 2' by 8'

Lighting:
    I am going to use CFLs (I cant afford more).

For Veg: (most likely 18 hours/6 hours)
    1- 100 watt CFL Daylight (color temperature 6500k).
    1- 50 watt CFL Daylight

For Flowering: (12/12)
    1- 100 watt CFL Soft White (color temperature 2700k)
    1- 50 watt CFL Soft White

Pots-
    I am going to start with a clear cup (only for small period of time) so I can cleary see the seeds, then I will do only one transplant into either 2.5 or 3 gallon.

Tempature- it is normally in my house anywhere from 73-78 degrees, normally no higher or lower. The temp will rise somewhat since it will be in a closed off closet.

Ventilation- I am going to use a small, hand-sized, air fan. running directly in the closet.

Fertilizer- I am going to try and get Rapid grow or eco-grow. I will then introduce the fert after 3 weeks (since the soil has nutrients) and then start with 1/4 the mixture working all the way up to full. I am assuming I am going to be feeding/watering it at the same time, which will probably be once a week.

How does this sound?
    Questions:
    1) Should I put refelective material on the walls?
    2) Is feeding fertilizer at the same time was regularly watering it enough? I know you water when you can stick your finger in 2 inches and have it still be dry.
    3) Does everything above sound good to start? any tips?

2. Yea, you should try to put something reflective on the walls especially if you're going the CFL route. That way you can maximize the light. If you have a grow store around, they should sell rolls of reflective mylar. If not, the white of the walls should reflect enough light.
    I'm pretty sure you feed every other watering but you should check the beginner's guide and your fert's recommendations.
    A cup that isn't clear would be ideal as the light entering the cup can hurt the growing root structure. You won't really be able to see the seeds anyway because of the soil so why not go with a solo cup?
    You're also going to want some sort of outtake vent. It sounds like this will just be a closed closet with a fan inside, but it would then just be recirculating the same air. I guess you could make sure to open the door to get fresh air in but it'd be easier to just cut some ventilation.