Couple Questions About Light For Auto Flowers

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by itsofficial, Sep 23, 2011.

1. Whats up guys? Got my seeds today after about 3 weeks or so. Ill be attempting to germinate them in the next few days. So my grow room is pretty much set up, I just have a couple quick questions. I will be growing two auto flowers at a time, Sweet Seeds Big Devil to be exact. I have a 400 watt HPS light right now. Will 18/6 hours be good? And the lighting fixture right now is 52 inches above where the plants will be. Is this too far away, or is this a good length?
    Thanks

2. 52 inches is definitely too far away. Not sure on a 400w, but should be closer to 12-18" away, somewhere in that range I would think, maybe closer.

3. For seedlings id have it bout 30 in and move it closer as it gets older

4. gonna have to do the hand hold thing to see how hot how high.in a 2-3-5 closet i use a 400hps in a glass tube with a blower sucking hot air out. i keep it about 12 in. no blower i,d go a bit higher n gotta move the air somehow. there hotter than you think my pipe came off n the temp. went to 100deg. in a hour or 2

5. With seedlings I would start the light at 36 inches and gradually lower it to 12" as they start to develop their first few sets of leaves. Not sure about the light cycle as I don't grow autos.

6. Sounds good. I will make sure to lower it to around 30-36 inches. Excuse my ignorance, but why would I keep moving the light closer? If the plant keeps growing, wouldn't I be moving it a little further away?

7. 36" is three feet... Your plants wont grow 3 feet in two weeks (the amount of time you should take to lower your light to about 12" from the tops)

Seedlings can't handle intense light, but after a few weeks they should have enough sets of leaves to move the light closer to 12" form your original 36.

Once your plants are big enough to lower it to 12" THEN you will be adjusting it upwards as the plants grow bigger.

Hope that makes sense.