Couple questions about flowering/lighting

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by tunafizzle, May 16, 2009.

1. Hello all,

I'm doing my first indoor grow and I was hoping for some advice. I've browsed through plenty of threads for answers and have got alot of great advice.Though at times it seems safer to go by a case by case basis, per se, for more complex questions.

Anyway I currently have 2 females that are about 6 or so weeks along and going pretty strong. My main lighting array is 4x23w(100w)6500k CFLS, with some "loose" lights to fill in the shadows and maintain temp (basement can get chilly)

My questions are:
    Will my current setup work for the upcoming flowering stage or should i switch to 2300k CFLs or something else altogether?

(Roughly) How many weeks is the flowering stage? (I plan on letting them veg for at least 2 more weeks)

How strong of a smell should I expect when they reach flowering?

I have heard that I should be only going for the red spectrum for flowering and I've heard I should try and get as much as the spectrum in as possible :confused:

Any answers/tips/advice would be much appreciated ;D

Thanks,

Tuna

2. Your setup will work but i would go a little more lights.
    How big are your plants? If they have more then 5 sets of nodes i would start flowering now.
    Cfl's are better flowering small plants since they don't have the same amount of penetration.
    It matters how long the flowering stage is based on the strain. If you don't know then when 60% of the pistils turn red.

3. I'll post a couple of photos later since that might be helpful ;D
    I would estimate them to be at about 13" give or take an inch
    But If I wait longer for them to grow some more won't it produce a larger yield?

4. I've heard the plant grows most the first 2 or 3 weeks of flowering. You may get the same or even more because you have to space out the lights when they get large so you will get a lot of small buds. If you flower when the plant is smaller then you can concentrate the light and get larger more dense buds not lil popcorn buds.

5. For flowering, you will want to switch to mostly 2700-3000k bulbs. A few 6500k mixed in won't hurt either. They can double in size during flower, so keep that in mind in deciding how long to veg. In theory, the longer they veg, the more space for bud development and a higher yield.