Couple questions about Apartments...

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by Dank_Head, Jan 13, 2010.

1. Anyone know about growing in an apartment? Is it normal for the landlord to come inside the apartment once in a while to check on things? I will only have the place for 4 months but don't want the risk of the landlord going into the bedroom to find some plants growing... Basically the landlord is the only thing I am worried about at this point. Is there any way to ask the landlord if they come by ever in a non sketchy way? anything could help.. thanks!

2. dont leave your apt....ever...lol....seriously tho, he can come in at any time, the most likly to either fix somthing, collect unpaid rent, or show off the apt to new possible renters, my opinion is wait till you got a place more secure, this place seems sketchy

3. I just have school and work and I wont be sleeping there.. I will go there daily with a few days not going there at all... Could I get a new lock and key for the bedroom just to be sure that the landlord doesn't enter the grow area and then if he/she leaves a note about it I could respond with an excuse but not get busted?

4. My last apartment, the landlord had an exterminator that would show up and barge in unanounced from time to time. He had a key, he'd just walk in without knocking or anything.

I don't know if the guy would rat me out to the landlord. Probably. He was an asshole.

You could change the door knob, put in a different lock in and lock that whenever you aren't going to be around. If the landlord figures it out they will probably be pissed, but you can just appologize and change it back - find another place for your grow.

If they never say anything about it, you know they aren't coming in when you aren't there...

5. yea and i've also talked to a friend who rents a place and says that the landlord doesn't go inside and barely ever comes over.. i will keep searching for answers tho and for sure if I do this I will change the bedroom door lock no matter what to be safe.

6. possibility,, keep suggestions coming lol thanks guys

7. I would be careful, it can be the mundane things you'd never expect that will trip you up. If your apartment has sprinklers they need to be inspected every year. Sometimes maintenance crews will need to come in to change air filters or clean ducts if you have hookups for laundry. They are supposed to give you notice before entering for these types of things, but if you're away for a few days at a time, or don't stay on top of your mail you could miss it. Also, be aware that in the case of an emergency the landlord doesn't need your permission to enter, so flooding in another unit could be trouble. When your security could be compromised by things completely out of your control like that, you should think long and hard about whether or not that is the place to grow.

You can be successful growing in an apartment, but you need to be much more mindful that you have people on the other side of the wall usually. Controlling sound and smell are essential, and really be aware of scheduled maintenance.

8. Ive been running grows in apartments for a while now. I also have friends that do it and over the time heres what weve learned. Read your lease in advace. It will outline the grounds on which they can enter the apartment. For instance at my current place, they have to give me atleast 24 hours before they enter the apartment unless its an emergency(i.e. fire, pipe busts, etc). And 24 hours is plenty of prep. Also make sure you isolate your grows. Place them in rooms your landlord never needs to enter(bedrooms, offices, closets, etc). If theres nothing in there that can break, nothing to cause them to go in. Think about smoke detectors, fire extinguishers, etc. These all have to be inspected so make sure there are none around where you grow. Furthermore, keep your grows small but feel free to have more than one. For instance i have 2 2x4 boxes instead of having 1 4x4. Its a little bit more inconspicuous and you can hid it more. If you keep it small, people never suspect pot. Most people think it takes this huge coordinated effort to pull a grow op off. THey dont realize you can harves ounces in a 2x2 space. BE THE PERFECT RESIDENT! bottomline unless youre doing something youre not suppose to, the leasing office is gonna leave you alone. pay your rent on time, pick up your dogs shit, dont be noisy, dont get complaints, etc. If your just the good guy that pays his rent and keeps to himself, nooone is gonna bother ya. Youll get the regular fire inspection to check the detectors/extinguishers. Most leasing agents dont check the apartment if you renew your lease(they assume if you wanna stay there it must still be in desirable condition) but if youre changing apartments say from a 1 bedroom to a 2 bedroom they will inspect to make sure you didnt just trash the first place to move to another. THe last real concern is pests. If your apartment finds out that people have bed bugs, rodents, etc. they may sent people to your home to do an inspection. These are the worst cause these people are usually more intrusive. Plus they usually happen spur of the moment. Another reason why smaller grows that are isolated in a tent or box are a better choice. They can be locked or moved/isolated away from the inspector. Sorry for such a rant but apartments can be risky if you dont pay attention to the details. If you have anymore questions ask. Between me and my friends weve seen everything from bed bugs to fire to carbon monoxide even one time lol and always glad to help a fellow blade.

9. When i moved into my first apt i had the same worries. So i asked em about inspections and what not and they told me (UNLESS its an emergency) They have to give u 24hour notice. I grew a nice sativa crop for over 5months with no problems.

So you should ASK. They proably have the same policys. In some states its a law. Good luck on the grow dude. Im so jealous, i had to move back with mom so no herb growing for me for a while:(

10. what exactly did you say when you asked?

11. There most likely will not be much if any furniture in the place at all. I'm assuming that this would be pretty sketchy upon inspection but at this time I cannot afford to purchase furniture for props. Wont be using the fridge, dishwasher, washer, dryer. Maybe I could find some free furniture on craigslist or in the paper.

12. Where you from? i know in australia they have to give you 24-72 hours notice first. As for asking, just say, "hey how often do you do inspections?" Your paying rent so its your place as long as you paying for it so dont feel weird about asking questions about shit like that. For all they know you could be asking because you like to sit in the corner crying while wearing a womans g string masturbating with a noose around your neck. No-one will think your growing or doing anything illegal as long as you dont act like you are so just be confident when you ask them any questions like that. As for lack of furniture there not gonna think your a criminal just cuz you dont have a ballin pad, spesh if its a 4 month lease whose gonna wanna do that shit up just to move it all again so soon?

Best bet to ask though, short lease means they might be showing the place to future renters 2-3 weeks before your lease is up.

Changing bedroom lock is a good idea if your paranoid but u shouldnt need to.

13. Do you do anything to help dampin the noise from the inline fans? I have 4x4 tent in apartment and before i start i want to dampin the noise some how . Im on the top floor so i figured something over the floor like carpt padding would help dampin noise from the person below me. mabye something eather around the tent or on the walls of the room like foam. would help ..I also wanted to make a box for the fan to help dampin the noise but i wasnt sure what the best material for that would be i was thinking about raping the ducting with somthing as well.....anyone got any ideas? i dont want my neigbors to hear a fan going 24 hours a day and i have people not only below me but next to me on one side.......

14. #14 joe_fresh, Jan 13, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2010
    so let me get this straight, your going to not live there at all, and just go there to take care of the grow 2-3 times a week, and having no furniture or nothing in there just a grow op? if so i really hope the lease isnt in your name, cuz then if anything happens(water leak, noise complaint, fire, smell, or even if there is a complaint of any kind ) , then it wont be hard to shift the blame to the person who's name is on the lease, in my opinion, you are taking alot of risk to do this, i personally think the whole idea of renting an apt just to house a grow op will get you in trouble... :(

the way you describe that you wanna do things would be better done at an industrial park in a rented hanger, that way you dont need to live there, you dont need furniture, and going there 2-3 times a week woulndt be suspicious because thats what ppl do in industral parks, go to work

15. What model inline did you get? like whos the manufacturer? Different inlines are built with a certain amount of "stealth" in mind. The sunleaves windtunnels(best inline i know of) for instance, are designed to be super strong while running super quiet. BUt the ones you find on ebay or from industrial parts, are usually more loud because stealth isnt a concern. With this in mind, depending on where your fan falls you can try speed controllers to turn down the speed at which it runs. Many peoples fans are too strong and by reducing the speed 20-30% usually you can still cool effectively and it will run more silently. However there is a cap on how much you can reduce the speed this way. Padding is actually a pretty bad idea. It will prevent the motor from cooling effectively and this will drastically reduce the life of your fan. The box you mentioned is actually pretty common for most stealth growers. Use some Simple plywood and studs to create a cube. If you want to get more advanced heres a great improvement. Cut a hole in the side of your box(the one holding your fan) and connect a small computer fan. Insulate the box in order to suppress more sound. The fan is crucial though without it you wont be able to cool the box/fan properly. Mounting the fan to your cube is also a good idea. it will cut down on some noise caused by vibrations. Hope this maybe gives you some ideas on how to tackle this. It can be tricky and i feel ya on wantin to keep everything from being noticed. let me know if you have anymore snags.

16. check your lease i'm pretty shure if your renting you have rights unless you waived them in the lease

17. I think something along the lines of "There wont be inspections in my apt will there?

18. my grow op is in my apartment in my bedroom closet. The maintenance people come into my apt. two times a year to check the fire alarm and gas alarm and give at least a week notice in advance (my lease says at least 24hr notice, though) and state what day and between what hours they will be in my place. its a great system.

as long as you're safe with smell and not having anything conspicuous laying around, you should be fine.

19. So what do you do just pack the whole grow up and hide it when they come?

20. It's packed up and hidden in the closet all day usually. The closet is AC cooled with a carbon filtered roof vent. The door is weatherstripped to prevent ANY light leaks. The room and apartment are deodorized by a DIY system:
    CHEAP!! * DIY Odor Neutralizer * - The Garden's Cure
    and probably an air purifier later on.

Plus, there are no fire alarms in my room, meaning they have no reason to go into my room.

Just make sure you are home when they are in your apt.