Couple of photos, would love some feedback!

Discussion in 'The Artist's Corner' started by Starlore, Aug 8, 2008.

1. #1 Starlore, Aug 8, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2008
    Just finished editing some photos I took a little bit ago. I took them at an abandoned mental institution down the road from my house. I have plenty more, but I'm not the best with digital image editing. So this is all practice and feedback would be more than welcomed.

Thanks in advance!

1. [​IMG]

2. [​IMG]

3. [​IMG]

4. [​IMG]

2. very nice work, especially with the tub. Its well balanced tonally and compositionally interesting with its crisp depth of field.

I've always liked decayed buildings, I've got a few 3d scenes of mental institutions in the ol' portfolio too. I like doing the infiltration thing but there's nothing really to get into around here, not like back in Detroit. I guess there's an abandoned brewery I could get into

3. umm what exactly are you doing in photoshop? Im seeing crazy scary faces hidden in every single picture. If you dont see what im saying can you please post the original pics?

4. Thanks for the compliment! Yeah, that's by far my favorite one. I can still see some of where I was dodging and burning in photoshop, so I'm going to retouch it again. I actually took it with B&W film with a speed of 100, developed the film and than scanned up the negative. It's a learning curve (photoshop as compared to a dark room) but it also makes some things so much easier!.

Yeah, I love abandoned buildings as well. Infiltration is fun. There used to be a LOT more around here, but I guess i'm still lucky ( 2 mental institutions abandoned with 10 miles, lots of farms, etc) but I also travel a little on the east coast to see some places, like abandoned prisons, amusement parks, tuberculosis's sanatoriums. It's quite fun and interesting. Those places sure do tell a story.

5. What do you mean you see crazy faces hidden in every picture? I don't see any of that. Where exactly do you see them?

In photoshop i'm just dodging and burning, using filters, adjusting exposure and working with the white balance and sharpness. I'm not adding in any hidden faces, I wouldn't even know how =)

Thanks for the feedback!

6. Oh my god starlore. give me a few minutes and ill circle all of the faces I see. Thats scary lol

7. Alright, Circle 'em up and let me see =D

I tried re-doing part of it but became very frustrated (the bath tub). I'll try again tonight after work.

Maybe later i'll post the original so you all can see what i did.

8. OK so some of them are easier to see in the OPs pics, like the guy on the 2nd seat in pic 4. My favorite is the dudes face in the tub.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      258 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      148.9 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      122.2 KB
      Views:
  9. I still can't see faces lol. =D

10. K nevermind then ha

11. I see the one in the tub pic, over to the right, thats crazy.

12. I'm going to be going to the same place sometime this week. I hope to take a bunch more photos and i'll post them here when I do.

13. I like the first and second ones.
    I do like the one with the chairs too, I just don't like anything with flash. Though I can't say much, I suck at photography.

14. Nice capture of light and shade. Interesting perspectives with a dash of visual tension.

15. Heh, I really wish I had an abandoned mental institution to tour around in with a camera... alas, I have only my family.

:p

I enjoy most of them, but I have to admit that number three doesn't seem to have any primary centering point. Typically the subject in a photo like this is balanced fairly with the environment around it, which you've managed to do with every other shot, but this one seems to be lacking something.

16. Thanks for all the feedback everyone, and all the advice. I do appreciate it.