couple newbie questions

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by chal7ds, Apr 27, 2015.

1. Ok, couple newbie grow questions:

First up, do you have to put an MH light on your rockwool cubes/seeds when doing the germination process? And if so, do you leave the light on them all the time?

Secondly, after transplanting your rockwool cubes into soil (outdoors), what happens if you don't give your plants the recommended 24/0 or 18/6 lighting and instead just put the cubes into soil and let the sun and night do its job? Will the plants continue to grow and will they stay in vegetation stage? Will they die? In other words, what happens if you don't follow the 24/0 and you just naturally plant them outside?
    if they do survive, when will they know to flower if the outdoor sun/night schedule is staying the same?

2. I would suggest reading the stickies above, there a wealth of information that will help you along the way. As for your germination question, you only need the light once the seeds have pushed out of the soil. As for your second question cannabis plants have grown in the great outdoors for centuries, with no human intervention. Remember they are weeds, they will be fine, when grown indoors with artificial light we are only recreating what nature already does. [​IMG]

3. So why the recommended 18/6 or 24/0 on the vegetation period inside then?!? I don't get it. If they grow just fine outside during vegetation with normal sun/night, what's the purpose of making light on them all the time during vegetation inside? Is it just considered ''optimal'' or something and that's why they recommend it?

4. You increase time under light indoors to produce an environment where the plants can grow more. More time under light = more photosynthesis = increase growth. You could keep a plant in vegetative stage forever (relatively speaking), it is only until you increase time under darkness that you induce the flowering stage. Read http://www.growweedeasy.com/light-schedules. Outdoors the plants are at the mercy of the seasons. 

5. #5 chal7ds, Apr 28, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2015
    Ok that makes sense, but how does the plant know when to flower outside? If the sun/night hours are the same for let's say 3 or 4 weeks or so (vegetating the plant)..why does the plant know all of a sudden to start flowering like the 4th or 5th week if the sunlight nighttime hours stay the same? (versus indoor where 12/12 TRIGGERS flowering). Are you saying that if I grow outside using natural day/night..that the plants will stay in vegetative much much longer? I mean, I don't want my plants vegetating forever..i'd like to grow outside and get my bud yield harvested within a couple months..can i do that in natural light/natural darkness timeframes? Like, let's say i start my seeds mid May. Will I seed bud mid-July?

6. You need to do alot more reasearch, I suggest you look into auto flower strains. 

7. Got a lemon fizz & a florida grape...and some 'strippercandy' seed packs...are any of those auto flower strains?

8. Cannabis flowers in the end of fall beginning of winter at the end of its life cycle(spring-fall). If you grow outdoors and love in the northern hemisphere you won't be able to harvest photoperiod seeds untill the fall. Hence the reason people grow indoors, growing indoors you can take the normal life cycle of the plant and shorten it to 3 months instead of 5. Auto flowers are the way to go if speedy outdoor harvest is your goal. I am growing 1 auto indoors now that's the extent of my knowledge of autos.

9. Thanks greenstarter, that explanation does help! So basically, you won't start seeing flowering outdoors (if you don't have an auto flowering seed pack) until nature's reg. 5 month period. So if i planted non-autos mid-may then, i'd start seeing flowering happen maybe mid-September or mid-October ?

If anyone knows if Lemon Fizz or Florida Grape are auto-flower type seeds, pls drop me a line! thx

10. #10 Greenstarter55, Apr 28, 2015
    Happy to help. I'm not experienced at all with outdoor. I'm on my second grow indoors.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

11. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1430205517.155805.jpg

12. Wow, nice grow so far. What kind of strain is that? gotta be an indica..

yeah, this is my first time growing. i was going to do indoor but my situation right now just won't allow it. I'm nervous to grow
    outdoors though because of all the potential pests that could destroy my plants. i know there's plenty of pest controls to buy,
    but i just want to make sure i'm able to cover all bases before something devastating could happen. I've surveilled the area i'm
    growing in and have already seen rabbits hopping around out there, lizards, gnats, and snakes. I've read rabbits can pretty much
    eat away your plants pretty quickly (and to use predator urine to repell them) but i'm not sure about lizards or snakes or what to use
    for some of the other pests that typically attack cannabis like white flies and gnats and those spider thingies! too many things to worry about, it's drivin' me nuts! that's why i wish i could indoors.

13. Thanks that's my Snow White from nirvana it's a 65-35 indica sativa blend. That's not my autoflower btw sorry if that confused you. My auto is only a week old lol. This Snow White is straight up indica my other Snow White is sativa looking. I have 4 plants going now 2 Snow White in their 5th wk of flower. 1 random freebie and a bubblelicious auto flower from nirvana at 1 wk old.

14. #14 chal7ds, Apr 28, 2015
    Niccce..i can see why they call it snow white lol those buds are comin' along nicely! i bet you're excited to harvest those bad biatches!!!

Yeah i got a random freebie when i ordered my fizz & grape packs..it was the stripper candy. i don't know how that one is going to come out but the fizz and grape pictures on leafly look like they will yield great results. I wish leafly reported on whether the strains were autoflowering or not, i don't see that on their search result pages for any of the strains i searched. Maybe i'm looking in the wrong site though for that type of info,

15. Where did you buy them ? I found the lemon fizz it was sold as regulars

16. Yea I can't wait for them to fatten up. I hope to hit 4 oz a plant

17. #17 chal7ds, Apr 28, 2015
    i got them through SBOC. Maybe next time i order, i just simply have to ask them about that. The only thing they tell you about the banks in their emails is the price, whether the seeds are feminized or not, and what kind of strain(s) it is.

Sativas are pretty good i hear about surpassing the typical 1 oz per plant and considering that your whites are 35 sativa you should probably be good on at least getting close to that! Heck, let's hope for more!

18. #18 Greenstarter55, Apr 28, 2015
    Check out nirvana or attitude my friend and I have great luck with them. Breeder says 450-500 grams but they are trying to sell a product so I take it with a grain if salt. I have heard of the Snow White yield ranging from 2-10 oz a plant. I love a good indica. :)

19. #19 chal7ds, Apr 29, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2015
    Yeah indicas are the only ones I wanna go with 1) because they grow wider and shorter and 2) more body high which i prefer over head high [​IMG]

One last question (for you) or anyone else who knows:

For outdoor grows, what's the deal with using:

1) added soil/loam
    2) added nutrients
    3) added fertilizer(s)

If i'm growing outdoors, should i worry about even using any of these 3? and if so, which weeks in do you add them and how much?

Besides those 3, i think i've got everything else worked out pretty well for my first outdoor grow.

20. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1430269059.778270.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1430269074.088896.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1430269085.811439.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1430269097.058331.jpg