Couple ideas from a newbie

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by GrayHatLinux, Feb 17, 2010.

1. I have been lurking around the forums for a while now, and have seen the PC grow box idea a couple times. I think this is a pretty good idea, and I was thinking about how to improve on it.

It will cost a little money, but I think it would be a pretty effective way to go.

Get yourself a nice high end case from say, Thermaltake or Lian Li. Those are the only brands I really like so I don't pay much attention to the others. Make sure its a full tower or super tower, to allow your plant more head room.

Next, get a fan shroud for the top of the case. The shroud should go on with very little modification, and instead of mounting fans, can instead hold your bulbs. You might have to get creative with how you hold the bulbs in the shroud, but its probably minimal work at best. From the outside, it will look as if you've just got a set of fans on the case, and no one will know the difference.

gut the interior, including the motherboard tray and front drive bays. cut out other dividers as necessary. it might be beneficial to keep a video card pillar in case your plant needs support, but that's your call.

if you bought one of the brands I listed, your case will be aluminum which, when polished, has a very reflective surface. I don't know if that will help growing or not, but I thought I'd throw it out there if no one else has said it. I would look up how to lap a heat sink if you want to know how to get the best shine. you can seal it too so that it doesn't oxidise and lose its shine.

if you know what the wires on a standard ATX PSU do (look at the manual if you don't), you can easily re-wire it so that your lights run off the power supply. you can also rig up the main connector to the power button on the front of the case, so that the button turns the lights on and off. (if you're really fancy, you can wire a timer in parallel so that the button works whenever, and the timer works as well).

as for air movement, the cases I mentioned usually come with at least one 120mm fan on the front and back, and when you run them on 12v out of the PSU they can move a decent bit of air and with minimal noise. They also come with dust screens, so you can insert your fav fabric softener sheet and not worry about the smell. as far as the cracks and such go, you can cover them from the inside with duct tape, leaving the outside of your expensive case looking stylish and inconspicuous.

Oh, and for those of you worried that your PSU can't keep up with the bulbs, there are some monster PSU's out there in the 1500W range, that should more than cover the system you would need in a computer.

on second thought, you might consider leaving the motherboard tray inside, so that you can hide your wires behind it and they stay out of harm's way.

Hmm, another fun idea would be trying to build a drip system with a drive bay res in the top 5.25" bay, and a fill tap on the top of the case. Run some super small tubing along the wall and you're all set to go. You could get all sorts of fancy, with fan controllers on the front, maybe a little LED that turns on when your res gets low, all sorts of ideas come to mind.

I know all the parts are readily available, Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more! sells about 90% of them, and the ones not on there can be found with a quick google search.

I was just wondering what people think of that little idea, how it would turn out, and whether or not its worth it. Thanks in advance!

2. I do kow that it is possible to get decent results from a pc grow box. The problem with the idea is that the amount of space you have to work with is seriously limited.

If your going this route be prepared for a small yeild. I would also buy goods female seeds from a reputable disributor so you dont waste six weeks only to discover you have a male.

Personally, I think there are cheaper, more efficient, better yielding, and stealthier designs than a PC case.