Counting the days 'till harvest

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by w0rldreign, Jan 3, 2010.

1. Aside from sitting around playing my harmonica and scoring tallies on the wall, I've been doing some serious work. I've been counting the days I have left before harvest. As usual, I will post pictures. Anyone care to take a guess with me? ...Haha, I thought so. Anyways, She's in the end of week 8. Remember that this is a SINGLE plant.

You can see here, many of the fan leaves are yellow and are becoming Nitrogen deficient. (This is normal):)

[​IMG]

More "Yellowing" of the leaves... This time, from above.
    [​IMG]

Lest look a lil' deeper, Shall we?

Here we can see that many of the hairs are still white in color, but there are just as many, (if not more) hairs that have turned golden brown and receded into the Calyx. Most of this bud growth is new as are many of the Resin heads or "trichomes" as they are called.

[​IMG]

Here is a more "whole" picture, lets take a look.

[​IMG]

Now, lets get deep penetration of the foliage to see the bud up close and personal. These buds are lookin' nice :D

[​IMG]

Here we can see the red hairs more clearly. This is but one of many signs to harvest that all must work together in synchronous harmony if a grower is ever to harvest at just the right time :cool: It is important to understand that hairs alone cannot tell you when the plant is ripe and ready to harvest; Whit widow, for example, is a strain that does not indicate ripeness via color change of the hairs or Pistols. Which brings me to my next indicator of ripeness...

TRICHOMES
    [​IMG]

Here I use an example picture ripped from another internet location. The microscope I have can not take pictures so I am left to words at this point.

65% or so of my trichomes are "cloudy" or "milky" in appearance, and have extended from the plant material. About 34% are completely transparent or "clear" most of which are not mature resin heads and around 1% are "amber" in color.

So, with this information I would like to get some estimates. I've been counting the days alone, and it would be nice to share my anticipation with fellow growers. So, lets learn something! :smoking:

2. I would wait until your tricombs are about 50% amber before you cut her down. Although I cut my last ones down a little early and they were still excellent....prolly could have gotten more weight if I waited

3. Nice looking buds for one plant, can i ask how long you vegged and what size your pot is?

If your going to harvest soon and you tell us your yield. i have one plant at the moment and i grow looks pretty similar , i just want an idea how much to expect.

4. I'll post my yield, don't worry :) Should I post it in here? Anyway...

It was a hydro DWC setup and I vegged for about 6 weeks and topped her. I know you can't tell in these pictures but I also trimmed away much of her lower branches to improve circulation and maximize yield. It took over my area very quickly and became un-manageable; I had to secure it with cord and I can assure you this is much harder than it sounds:eek: Next time, I plan on only pruning the lower branches and letting it grow one massive cola rather than a bunch of medium ones that compete for light and space ...unless I go ScroG. As far as your yield, remember that a lot depends on the light wattage, how close your lights are to your plants, and heat. I expect about a half-pound (give or take a little) off of this one, but we will see. I'm using a 400w hps.

5. dude these should be in a journal for all to appreciate:smoking:

6. I was hoping that I could get some guesses, so I'm going to guess myself... I'm gonna say... Jan. 10th.