Counterfeit carts may be dangerous.

Discussion in 'E-Liquids & E-Juice, E-Cigarettes' started by Storm Crow, Aug 29, 2019.

1. Counterfeit Weed Vape Cartridges Are Everywhere — and They’re Making People Sick.
    (news – 2019) Counterfeit Weed Vape Cartridges Are Everywhere — and They’re Making People Sick

This is a rather long article that shows just another reason cannabis needs to be fully legalized.

"Six weeks ago, an 18-year-old male patient showed up to NYU Winthrop Hospital in Long Island complaining about chest pain, nausea, fever, and shortness of breath. Initially, doctors thought he had pneumonia, due to his X-rays showing “haziness” in the lungs. Within 48 hours, says Melodi Pirzada, chief of pediatric pulmonology at the hospital, the patient’s condition worsened and he was sent to the ICU. There he was diagnosed with ARDS, a condition associated with acute lung injury. He was connected to a breathing tube and placed in a medically induced coma for one week.

The doctors were baffled as to how a healthy 18-year-old could become so sick, until the patient’s mother showed up at the hospital with something she’d dug up from her son’s wastebasket. It was a vaporizer cartridge with the label TKO Extracts, a licensed company based in California that sells THC products; the cartridge was later confirmed to be a counterfeit version of the company’s product, Pirzada says. Upon questioning, the man’s girlfriend told doctors that he had used the cartridge three days before he was admitted to the hospital. After being treated with steroids, the patient ultimately recovered, and was released from the hospital after two weeks.

Just one day later, a second patient showed up with completely different symptoms, including various nodules in the lungs; the 19-year-old suffered from coughing and chest pain, and had lost so much weight in the span of just two weeks that doctors initially suspected he had cancer. When a biopsy ruled that out, the patient said that he too had been using THC cartridges for the past three months, all of which had been purchased on the black market. (Marijuana is not legal for recreational purchase in New York state.) " (snipped)

Later on, they warn against some of the brands and look-alikes that have been shown to be "not as advertised"- The section starts "According to photos Gerking provided to Rolling Stone" .

Be cautious with those black market "bargains"! And work toward legalization, so we don't have to deal with this sort of :poop:!

Granny :wave:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Lipid = oils and fats. Your lungs are not meant to deal with tiny globs of oil- it gums them up and reduces oxygen.

3. Thanks for the info stormy.

I swear some of this is common sense though, people have always been out here selling snake oil. Damn these selfish people. I hope they feel guilty and can’t sleep at night.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. There is a new wave of cheap ass thc cartos that hit the market down in the US mostly, and they really do suck. I tried one similar up here in Canada and it tasted like cardboard, big no no.

I believe this is the patient that ended up dying, or it may have been another person. There are roughly 200 people currently fuck up because of these crappy black market vapes.

5. I always had a bad feeling about these. With the level of distribution, I wouldn’t be surprised if it isn’t an orchestrated anti-weed campaign by the pharmaceutical industry and the Trump admin.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

6. It's nothing like that, deadly poor quality thc extracts have been around for a long time. What I don't like is this has been portrayed like this is the fault of regular e-liquid all over the US. Most other countries were reporting the real facts from day one, but all the US outlets ran with the vaping and eliquid names without even mentioning counterfeit THC cartos for quite a while. The damage is done.

7. Yes exactly. I’m saying this was a coordinated effort.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

8. I'm not seeing it. I mean I know everyone's out to get the vaping industry, I just think this is something that came about and got some news traction, and was a perfect opportunity to run with it as a smear campaign. I doubt it's anything politically motivated, just money. Lots of corporations and government funded programs would love to see vaping outlawed.

9. so crazy how you can think you're buying something totally natural and you're about to have a great day getting stoned and end up in the hospital IN A COMA for 1 week cause of that shit. I hate these selfish people that do this and contaminate what easily grows out of the ground.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Like the old saying, it's not the drug that gets you, it's the cut.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  11. I’d never even heard of carts till cannabis became legal but, I can honestly say I don’t think I’d buy one off the streets if it were illegal here.

• Like Like x 1
  12. The New York Times ran a few articles on this. Unfortunately the butt nugget who wrote the articles is about as deep as cellophane, and pretty much came to the conclusion that the problem isn't bad carts or bad additives in them: it's THC. His reasoning is that since THC is an oil and any oil in your lungs is bad for you, it must follow that all these people with lung infections got it from vaping THC -- despite the fact that he lays out instances of carts being tested and showing mineral oil in them, vitamin e oil, etc... Also despite the fact that people vaping flowers are mysteriously unaffected.

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Welcome to the wonderful world of Mass Media Deception - where we fool ourselves and truth is negotiable! Read the Leafly article on their theory. Like it says, people were using vape carts, not getting sick last year.

14. It isn't all deception. A woman in her 80s that I know got some nasty lung troubles from a vape cart a few months ago. Didn't ask where she got it. but I will next time I see her.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. EVERY SINGLE NEWS STORY that implies or even mentions a cause is deception. We don't know what the problem is. What we do know is, it is not directly related to anything involving cannabanoids. But that's no reason to let a good propaganda opportunity go to waste. They'll figure it out after everyone's done running around with their hair on fire. Read the Leafly article.