Countdown to Shutdown

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Phamas, Apr 8, 2011.

1. Will it happen :wave:

Wonder who will not accept their congressional salaries if it happens ^_^

Surely Ron pAUL!

2. At the moment it seems pretty likely.

What pisses me off the most is that the soldiers aren't going to get paid while this is going on. Bad ju ju all around, I've got a lot of my old Army friends on my facebook and they're really not happy.

Imo, if they're unable to pay the soldiers the politicians involved should forego their own pay. What do you think the chances are of that happening?

3. A couple already have by a couple I mean like.. 2.. some have stated they can't.. lulz

4. I would still want my pay.........shit it's their job. They have a life and family too.

5. It's a matter of principle. They stalled in congress, they're causing a lot of people to go without pay, so they should also bear the consequences of their actions.

6. #6 Aquoz, Apr 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2011
    I read in a WSJ article that the last time the federal government shut down they authorized back pay for all employees under the conditions they return the money they received from unemployment (assuming you were able to receive any).

7. What ever happened to Government accountability? If the corrupt politicians can't do there job then they shouldn't get paid. Can anyone think of any job where you can get paid even if your employer is shut down? For fucks sake they pay themselves with our money just so they can shut down services for us? We are broke but hey lets shoot a few more multi million dollar missiles at lesser humans. Soon our country is going to need a bail out. Good think we can print money out of thin air and pretend its worth something.

8. #8 Aquoz, Apr 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2011
    27th Amendment: "No law, varying the compensation for the services of the Senators and Representatives, shall take effect, until an election of Representatives shall have intervened."

Even if they voted to withhold all pay during a government shut down it wouldn't take effect until next term. The unintended consequences of laws are interesting.

9. What ever happened to it? More like when did it ever exist?

10. They don't have to vote a law in just to give money back to the Treasury, voluntarily. Ron Paul consistently gives un-used portions of his office budget back year after year.

The status quo however always finds new ways to waste tax payer money.