Could weed become dangerous?

Discussion in 'General' started by marijuLIana, May 5, 2011.

1. #1 marijuLIana, May 5, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2011
    This is just a thought, like a total "maybe?" I dont even believe this, I just thought it was a reasonable argument to consider.

I will not argue or even begin to argue that marijuana IS and always will be a plant and in that aspect natural. It's just that the fact that in nature everything seems to be balanced naturally and we as humans always try to develop our own way and the outcome is not always good. For example if you add a new strain of plant to an ecosystem things can go very unbalanced, this being an unlikely but still possible situation, or maybe it will do no harm at all.

The strains that have been created by nature are plants that have been developed by the original cannabis plant being secluded in a specific climate and area and acquiring specific trates to fit its exact needs and natures balance. Something I learned about in Bio but I'm not completely sure about the correct name, so someone let me know what its called if you know. Like when the same plant develop in different secluded areas they slowly begin to change and adapt, but will still be considered the same genetics, and will still be compatible. Similar to if two of the same kind of lizard was separated and secluded over long periods of time they would acquire different trates, but still be able to mate if ever met again.

Anyway to the point: We have taken these strains that naturally developed over thousands of years like strains from India, Russia, Mexico, etc and created own own versions that may not have been possible to happen in nature. There for in that aspect not natural. When I say natural I'm meaning in nature with little human contact, but then again we could be considered part of nature. What I'm saying is many of these high THC, while low in CBD and CBN plants or plants of any other order and combinations of Cannabinoids may not have occurred as they are in nature itself.

- Could this be dangerous over long periods of time? I dunno probably not I dont think but its just something to consider. I know I did not use proper terms most likely but its just the general idea, I'm not a scientist! But I know smoking a huge bowl of kief or hash is different considering all the cannabinoids are not in the same balance. Many cannabinoids counter effect a more head high that a deep sativa can give you, and keeps you calm. Maybe someone has had a panic attack from smoking a heavy sativa based plant's THC in huge amounts at once and can relate.

Anyway :smoke: happy toking! :wave:

2. probibly not. i suppose we might see some herbivorous animals getting a taste for weed. but my guess is if it grows so well in places like "the emerald triangle" it would of spread that far north at some time anyway, we just hurried it up is all. you have a good point though.

3. I don't believe marijuana is dangerous but I do believe EVERYTHING has it's cons.

4. As far as I know, there is no study suggesting there are any long term adverse affects of smoking Marijuana.

CBD helps with anxiety and keeping people calm. If anything, people will just have to deal with being paranoid while high, or try and find more balanced weed.

5. the real question is: what have you been smoking?

6. If we take squirrels from different species and breed them, we do not get a tiger -or even a carnivorous squirrel!

"Hybrid vigor" may show up when crossing strains, giving us a larger plant that is possibly a more potent variety, but a real "killer weed" is next to impossible! Why?

Natural cannabinoids have a remarkable safety record- zero fatalities in humans from overdose- whether given singly or in combination, or by inhalation, eating it or by injection (Don't try injecting cannabis extracts- they must be chemically fiddled with to work!). The LD-50 is all but impossible to reach in most species. It seems very unlikely that naturally breeding two (or more) varieties of cannabis could bring about a "dangerous" strain. The natural cannabinoids all mix well together and do not suppress breathing like opioids. In fact, cannabis is much safer than aspirin! :eek:

However, with modern genetic manipulation and gene-splicing, almost anything is possible! But since this is out of the range of most folks, so I'm not too worried.

CLKWRK, you might find these interesting-

Long Term Use

Cognition and Long-Term Use of Ganja (Cannabis) (full - 1981)
    Cognition and Long-Term Use of Ganja (Cannabis)

Long-Term Marijuana Users Suffer Few Health Problems, Australian Study Indicates (news - 1997)
    Long-Term Marijuana Users Suffer Few Health Problems, Australian Study Indicates

Long-term cannabis use: characteristics of users in an Australian rural area.
    (abst - 1998)
    Long-term cannabis use: characteristics of users i... [Addiction. 1998] - PubMed result

Neuropsychological Performance in Long-term Cannabis Users (full - 2001)
    Arch Gen Psychiatry -- Neuropsychological Performance in Long-term Cannabis Users, October 2001, Pope et al. 58 (10): 909

17. LONG-TERM EFFECTS OF HEAVY MARIJUANA USE (news - 2002)
    ScienceWeek

Heavy Marijuana Use Doesn't Damage Brain (news – 2003)

Heavy Marijuana Use Doesn't Damage Brain

Minimal Long-Term Effects Of Marijuana Use Found In Central Nervous System By UCSD Researchers (news - 2003)
    Minimal Long-term Effects Of Marijuana Use Found In Central Nervous System By UCSD Researchers

Survey of Australians using cannabis for medical purposes (full - 2005)
    Survey of Australians using cannabis for medical purposes

Long-term use of a cannabis-based medicine in the treatment of spasticity and other symptoms in multiple sclerosis. (abst – 2006)

Long-term use of a cannabis-based medicine in the ... [Mult Scler. 2006] - PubMed result

Long term marijuana users seeking medical cannabis in California (2001-2007): demographics, social characteristics, patterns of cannabis and other drug use of 4117 applicants. (full - 2007)
    Long term marijuana users seeking medical cannabis in California (2001

Protracted cannabinoid administration elicits antidepressant behavioral responses in rats: role of gender and noradrenergic transmission. (abst - 2009)
    How important are sex differences in cannabinoid a... [Br J Pharmacol. 2010] - PubMed result

The morphology of the immune system in opiomania, cannabism, and polynarcotism (abst - 2009)
    Unbound MEDLINE | [The morphology of the immune system in opiomania, cannabism, and polynarcotism] PubMed Journal article

Effects of cannabis on lung function: a population-based cohort study.
    (abst - 2010)
    Unbound MEDLINE | Effects of cannabis on lung function: a population-based cohort study. PubMed Journal article abstract

The pharmacologic effects of daily marijuana smoking in humans (abst - 2010)
    ScienceDirect - Pharmacology Biochemistry and Behavior : The pharmacologic effects of daily marijuana smoking in humans

Granny :wave:

7. Weed isn't dangerous alcohol is dangerous tobacco is dangerous life is dangerous but weed definitely is not dangerous! And i believe that one day weed will be legalized in all over the world! peace :)

8. I do not know does this sound like it was dangerous for these guys?
    Justin Wolfe on Virginia death row [Archive] - Prison Talk

Triggerman: Death Row Inmate is Innocent - Centreville, VA Patch

:wave: