Could use a little advise

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Capital, Nov 28, 2010.

1. #1 Capital, Nov 28, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2010
    So I have been reading the grow articles around here for about a year. I have always been to hesitant to try jumping in and investing a large amount of money in equipment. Well I decided to start off very slow and just try 1 plant at first. I have roughly a 5x5ft area to set up, stealth is not a concern. Can anyone help me out with specifics of what I will need to run this single plant grow in a 5x5?

I plan on using CFLs and a oscillating tower fan I have.
    How many lights and what watts etc for CFLs should I get for a single plant?
    Think I'll steer clear of hydroponic systems or anything of that nature and just try a tradition soil grow until I understand the fundamentals better.
    Is there a way to get ventilation without a grow box? Smell isn't really a concern but I just don't want clothing and everything in my apartment to smell to much.
    I'm still a bit intimidated about lighting and how to position my lights most efficiently at a given day in the grow/stages.

Any help or advise is appreciated

2. also curious what the difference is between normal and auto flowering strains? Is it just a quicker cycle or what?

3. A single plant grow in a 5x5 would be a massive plant and take alot of veg time.

Think about how much you can spend on lighting, and get the most you can, then put in a few extra plants so you can veg them for less time and use up all your space to get a good yield.

I don't have any advice about growing in soil because I've never done it, but I can tell you that dwc hydroponics is really, really, really easy if you can take the time to set it up right and are willing to monitor things a bit. (most people I know stare at their plants all day anyway though).

As far as positioning the lights goes, the idea is to get them as close to the plants as you can w/ out raising the temps too high or burning the plants w/ the lights.

4. #4 Capital, Nov 28, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2010
  5. That's gonna give you problems w/ roots growing together.

Especially if you're not using all female clones or feminized seeds. You try and separate the males w/ the roots tangled up and you're screwed.

Search this site for a thread called "let's build a bubble bucket". You can make better ones than that for half the cost w/ one trip to home depot or lowe's.

In your space, if it was me, I'd do 4 big plants, w/ 2 400 or 600w lights, one per two plants. You can probably get alot of weed that way.

I get seeds from the single seed centre. No problems w/ any orders so far.

Pick your strain based on what kind of high you like, how much space you have to grow, how long you're willing to wait to harvest, and how much weight you want to get. As far as I can tell, any good homegrown weed is better than any commercial weed, so in my case I look for strains that yield big.

My seed order that I just places has jack herer, white widow, and critical.

I can tell you that you can do alot w/ the space you have to work with, just make sure to have plenty of light dude. If you build it they will grow.

6. 100 ACTUAL Watts per plant, 50-75 there after(depends on how you position them)

IMPORTANT: Get your PH Soil/Water testing kit(s)!!!! and depending on if you need to take your tap water's PH Up or Down will result in if you buy PH UP or DOWN

Other than that, you should be pretty set to go, Look into Hempy Buckets, its a freeman's passive hydro, ive got 3 on the go at current and im loving it :D

I treat it like soil almost, except the PH is @ hydro levels.

Its one of those American Beer cups with a single hole (not sure how big lol, i just used a heated screw driver) 2 inches from the bottom

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCg39XCSh_Q]YouTube - Creating Small Hempy Buckets + Transplanting[/ame]

here is a video, this guy only uses perlite, everywhere else ive read on Hempy Buckets always use 1part Vermiculite and 3 parts Perlite. <-- Thats what i use