Could this be the cause of my problems?

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by Genocidal, Feb 11, 2009.

1. #1 Genocidal, Feb 11, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2009
    For a long time now, I've been trying opiates with no success. Last month I tried vicodin multiple times, with doses ranging from 15mg-20mg each time, 3 or 4 times. It made me tired and a little nauseous (probably from the APAP in the pills), but I never felt any kind of euphoria. Also, earlier tonight I tried oxycodone (percocets 5/325), and I only felt the same symptoms as the vicodin (tired and nauseous). This is really getting on my nerves seeing as I have access to a lot of pills but they never seem to have any effect on me.

In another recent thread of mine, someone suggested that if I take other medications, they could be reducing the effects of the opiates. Well, I'm prescribed 20mg of amitriptyline (aka Elavil and a bunch of other drugs) per night. Amitriptyline is an anti-depressant of sorts. I read online that the chemical effect of amitriptyline is that "it inhibits serotonin and noradrenaline reuptake almost equally." I'm not sure what the chemical effects of hydrocodone and oxycodone are, so I can't compare.

So I'm asking, could my prescribed amitriptyline be the reason why the other, reacreational, drugs aren't working for me? I really do need the amitriptyline (nothing else has worked for my particular illness), so I can't stop taking them. If they are the reason the other drugs aren't working though, I'd really like to know anyway for if in the future I am able to stop taking the amitriptyline. If the amitriptyline couldn't be reducing the effects of the other drugs and I'm just being ridiculous, though, then please tell me.

Thanks,
    Geno

2. get off the antidepressants for a couple of days then take a bunch of oxycodone an you'll be flying

3. The thing is, I'm not taking them as an antidepressant. The normal dosage of amitriptyline for use as an antidepressant is 50-100mg a day, and I only take 20mg a day. Could this still be the problem? And I can't stop taking it; I have an illness and only amitriptyline helps me with it. I've been prescirbed a bunch of other drugs and this is the only thing that helps me.

4. it's the SSRI, it's always the SSRI. if you have to take it then you might as well give up on opiates now lol

5. Thanks for that advice, but I'm fairly certain that amitriptyline is not an SSRI. If it is and I'm just mistaken, then please let me know (I'd also appreciate if you could show me a site or something to verify it, because when I searched the results seemed to say that amitriptyline is NOT an SSRI). Thanks.

6. Just don't take the anti-depressants for a while, and try the percs again. It could be the meds messing with you, or you could just be taking too small a dose. Usually when I eat only 3 or 4 vic's or perc 5's I'll just feel really nauseous and not high.

Whatever you do, just be sure you're careful.

7. hmm i thought it was but i guess im wrong

is it a MAOI inhibitor?

8. Those are pretty weak pills, that could be the problem.

Vics are for coming down, they kill your withdrawels. The perc 5s are also pretty weak, get something without the filler if you really want to try it.

Green oxycodone 15s, blue oxycodone 30s(don't get the fake blue ones that are white in middle, they're xanax). Try one green or half a blue at first, see how you react. Since you're feeling sick you have no tolerance and could vomit, but that will bring on the good feeling if you do.

9. Jack I just checked. Amitriptyline is not an MAOI either. It doesn't look like it could be the cause.. If anyone else has an idea if and why my meds are the problem, please help me out.

Everyone else, please realize that I can't just stop taking them, or else I won't even be able to perate normally. I have a personal illness I don't want to disclose, but I am not taking the amitriptyline for depression.

10. #10 KeinMitleid, Feb 11, 2009
    Amitriptyline inhibits the reuptake of serotonin and noradrenaline. It works the same way upon the same type of receptors that amphetamines do, so the only thing I can think of is maybe it cancels out the high maybe? :confused:

You can always call a random pharmacy and ask them if the two will react and what side effects it may cause.. Most pharmacys won't care and will answer your question.

You can always look amitriptyline up and see if it has any interaction.

11. Also, Cklbmk, I took more than enough of the pills to at least feel something. I took 15-30mg of hydrocodone each time, and 20mg of percocet earlier. No positive effects any time.

12. What he is on is a tricyclic antidepressant, meaning it inhibits both the reuptake of serotonin and noradrenaline.

I can't help you with your problem of not getting high however, I can tell you it isn't the amitriptyline.

13. #13 jack herra, Feb 11, 2009

hmm..this is very unusual if its not a SSRI or MAOI idk what it could be.

i mean is there anything else your on,you haven't eaten all day so that cant be it.

but i agree with kein call up a pharm and ask,if you do post back in here i want to know what they say.

**EDIT**i have a feeling that your medication is interacting with the oxycodone.
    you should definitely call a 24hour pharm and ask them.

14. this is very weird, maybe his body just won't accept opiates :(

15. That's some quality advice. "Quit you prescribed antidepressants so you can get high off hill billy heroin"

Plus withdrawals he may get from stopping his meds cold turkey.

16. by your post you did start to get the feeling though, just not quite all the way there. When you have no tolerance you get the sickness feeling then once you puke it hits all at once.

17. Up your dosage. Titrate until you find a comfortable dose. Problem solved.

This is not a possibility, unless the OPs brain evolved differently than every other mammal on the planet and he lacks opiate receptors.

Prescribed anti-depressants are shitty as fuck; the vast majority of those prescribed them would be much better off without them. Oxycodone, on the other hand, actually has enjoyable effects and thus a reason to use it. His antidepressant meds have a horrible list of side effects, and no reason to use.

18. I know several people who are just straight up allergic to opiates. They just get nauseous and really don't enjoy it. I don't think there's much you can do about it.