Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Could someone help me do some research?

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by ZnOT, Apr 18, 2018.

1. Alright so I'll tell you here the story:

I have had heart surgery a couple times so when I smoke/vape I check my heart rate and not allow it to go very high.

I would love to try edibles but I don't know how they raise heart rate compared to joints/vaping and I'm scared of them raising the heart rate more and that heart rate lasting the whole 6h~ trip.

Could someone measure their heart rate when taking an edible first when starting to feel the effects are kicking in, 5-10 min later, then 30 min later (or whenever it's the effects peak) and like 1-2h later and every 1-2h to see how it goes?

Then measure your heart rate while smoking 10-15 min after starting (basically when you feel it hit you good) and then when you are like 30-40min into the high?

I would be so thankful to know how these values differ and this way I would know if it's safe or not for me to try edibles and maybe even stop smoking to just eat.

Thanks in advance, any help or info will be appreciated.

Sent from my Redmi 4X using Tapatalk

• Funny Funny x 2

2. This thread is pointless man no person will have the same results as another...

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. #3 CBDBurner, Apr 18, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2018
    Stay away from sativas I’d go with a cbd strain. Buy a edible and only take half a dose and work your way up to a dose that feels comfortable. it’s something your gunna have to do yourself unfortunately because everyone reacts differently.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  4. Just start with a small dose of some cannabis that can be dosed accurately. Eating will probably be much better for you than smoking. But, definitely start small with a known dose and then find your effective dose. One way to microdose is with a tincture where you can take small amounts until you find your sweet spot. Good luck, I'd probably be nervous, too.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. Hi, thanks so much for your responses, I live in Spain so buying the edible off a dispensary is not an option, I'll have to cook it myself.

The weed I get is kinda potent, I can get a pretty good high just with 3/4 hits off a joint.

How much weed should I put into the edible in my case for it to be a very light (but still containing effects) dose?

I'm gonna eat it slowly (first a quarter or half of it).

If you could tell me how much weed for a firecracker in this case I would be very thankful, I'll start with a firecracker cause it's easier to do and measure I think, then I'll try making cannabutter or something.

6. Go to the edibles forum and there are a lot of directions on how to make firecrackers or cannabutter.

I can tell you that my bf has had 2 open heart surgeries and the weed we get here is between 25-30% THC so it's really good. He smokes as much as he wants as often as he wants to. He's eaten some very strong edibles too. He's never had any problem or concerns. He has never said he feels like his heart is racing or anything like that.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. I can’t help you with dosing homemade edibles. I make them but I don’t try to make them a certain strength I just eat it and try not to go overboard with it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. When I smoke my heart rate does speed up sometimes from 80 to 150-160 (if I smoke too much).

I have the theory thought that the heart rate is not higher the higher I am.

I think it goes up when the weed is hitting cause then it goes down quickly to 110-120 bpm.

As edibles hit you slower that may not raise heart rate that much.

9. #9 cunegonde, Apr 18, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
    Hi there,
    I recently had an EKG stress test that showed nonspecific EKG changes when my heart rate goes too high, but in the test that was around 180 bpm. I'm in decent shape, I actually enjoyed the treadmill test and went until they said I could stop because they had what they needed. I have to do another test next week that's more involved where they actually look at my heart, but they're really just doing it to rule out heart problems. I'm hoping there isn't really anything. I have horrible anxiety so I can never trust my heart. Because of this though, I'm watching my heart rate like you.

I can only relate my experience, I'm not a medical professional and everyone reacts differently. But in my experience I mostly use edibles and also occasionally vape some wax if I need more immediate help. I prefer edibles though. I've experimented enough to find the good range for me. I make them into firecrackers and take just enough to take care of my health issues. If I get the wrong strain and it makes me anxious, then my heart rate gets too high, so I'm just really careful and use small doses. But the edible effects come on slowly enough for me (again, with the right strain) that it doesn't stress my heart much at all. I don't know how high my heart rate is actually getting, but it doesn't feel like a sudden jump, like when I vape.

Vaping though sometimes makes me dizzy and really increases my heart rate, so I really do that sparingly, in emergencies. I've taken my blood pressure right after vaping and it doesn't seem to be any different.

I actually took my usual edible dose about 20 minutes ago if you really want heart rate data. I have pretty debilitating anxiety, so if this was a study that might mess up the data. My current heart rate is 98. With edibles, I usually get some sort of initial slight high, I'm guessing from absorption in the mouth? And then in about 90 minutes the edible kicks in. So my heart rate is up a tiny bit. But I also have a tolerance built up, so your first time with edibles will likely be a stronger high than I get now.

Just my guess? I think that edibles increase my heart rate for a longer amount of time, but in a gentler way and it doesn't get too high. When I vape my heart rate jumps immediately. Now you've got me curious to get this data myself.

The problem with advising on doses is that it varies, even between doses with the same person. If I switch to a new strain, I have to test really slowly all over again to see how it affects me. The people who advised trial and error are right, unfortunately. My dose is about 1/3 of a gram. Less and I don't feel it, more and I end up falling asleep before I want to. But even that can vary depending on time of day, medication taken, how much I've eaten and when.

10. 40 mins: 96
    60 mins: 93
    90 mins: 92
    2 hrs: 92
    (0:00 is when I actually ate the edible, it kicked it around the 60 minute mark)

This means nothing to you, because everybody else will have a different result, but I was interested for myself. Turns out edibles don't raise my heart rate at all. It probably went down because I was less anxious. I haven't actually measured my heart rate while vaping but it definitely raises my heart rate.

11. I'm really thankful man, even considering that your case and mine are different it helps me as seeing it doesn't vary at all on you probably means that on me (no tolerance on edibles) it will get up but not crazy like smoking does.

I'll try to get a proper dose starting very low and if the first day I don't even feel it, well, it'll be the next one.

What I thought is making a normal edible, and eat like 1/8 or 1/6 of it, wait 30m-1h, eat another 30 min, another and that until I feel something even very mild then stop and wait till everything gets me high, if that is not enough, next day I'll do a little bit more.

Anyways, could you try and measure your heart rate vaping the next time you do and tell me the results? Because if vaping does raise your heart rate that may be a good sign that edibles do not raise it that much.

My theory is as yours, that when smoking/vaping all the thc kicks you instantly (in a short period of time) while when eating it kicks you slowly so it doesn't put the same amount of stress in your heart.

Again, thanks man!!

12. I can do that, even if just to help ease anxiety, but I'm no doctor and really can't tell you how you would react. I'd hate for you to have problems. Your plan to go slow is good. I have had edibles that noticeably raise my heart rate, it depends on the strain. It took me a while to find the strains that don't do that. I'd suggest start with indicas, those generally relax me more than they increase my heart rate. But in the end, it's not worth risking serious health problems.

13. I've always been told to smoke/eat indicas, never really knew what I was buying but I have a friend that knows a dealer that actually tells him what he sells so I might get my hands on an indica this time (and I'll actually know for a fact it is an indica).

Thanks man!

14. It makes a huge difference for me. I can't even handle some hybrids if they have too much sativa. Thanks to anxiety, I don't need to amplify anything. I actually just switched my vape from a hybrid to an indica and I'm glad I did.

I did try the new indica vape today and took my heart rate 3 times.
    Right before: 93
    a few minutes after, when I felt it: 99
    20 minutes later: 94

So for me, vaping causes a very small heart rate increase. This is with an indica strain, mind you. The hybrid strain I was using before was a little more "up".

Best of luck with your search, I hope you get similar results, but be careful, it's not worth trashing your heart over.

15. Thanks man, when I vape (but I don't know if my weed is indica hybrid or sativa) my hr gets much higher, can get to 140bpm if I smoke non stop.

Anyways thanks is good to know it doesn't speed it up much for you, I'm thinking it does also have to do with tolerance and if you smoke daily or so probably your heart rate doesn't change that much compared to someone that doesn't have a tolerance.

16. Yeah, tolerance makes sense. Best of luck!