Could someone explain ratios to me please

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by wheelyzz, Mar 25, 2014.

1. Hi all, new to this forum, but not a total noob at growing, however,

Id like to know a few things about nutients that i cant quite understand.

For example I have some various nutrients to my disposal and they have quite different NPK values.
    Ionic Bloom - 3.1 : 1.9 : 5.9
    Flora Bloom - 0 : 5 : 4

Why is there such a difference between these 2 if they are both essentially bloom nutes. Is it because flora bloom has to be mixed with flora micro to correct the ratio?

Flora Ripen - 0 : 6 : 5
    Is this really a big difference compared to Flora Bloom?

Thanks for any advice guys.

2. For veg ideal 20N 20P 20K for flowering 10N 30P 20K 

3. Thanks for the reply Guru Grower, ill keep that in mind.
    Doesnt really answer my question though.

4. npk is just the percent of that nute in the solution...a 5 is 5%..essentially all nutes are the same macro and micro nutrients just different levels and certain brands add more things like different forms of humic acid...like skuny said a 20-20-20 is good because its 60% nutes which would be a bigger bang for your buck but also makes it easier to burn so you have to watch your ec/ppm

5. Thanks i get that, but can anyone explain with some science what the difference is between the above mentioned nutrients.

6. Instead of someone having to do this it would be much easier to just do a Google search on "NPK Ratings" and "What do NPK numbers mean".

That is, if you believe in the whole NPK fertilizing mentality...

j

7. why is it that 20 : 20 : 20 is best for vegging cannabis yet non of the nutrients are this?

i have
    Ionic Grow - 3.3 : 1.2 : 5.4
    FloraNova grow - 7 : 4 : 10

Is there enough N in Floranova grow or would adding human piss to it be a good idea?

8. As far as ratios go 10-20-10 is the exact same as 5-10-5, or 1-2-1. It's the percentage of NPK.

The reason different brands are different is because they have different opinions on what's best.

I thoroughly recommend the ionic grow and bloom. I have been using it a while now and its by far the best nutrient brand I have ever used

9. Thanks.

so for:
    Ionic Grow - 3.3 : 1.2 : 5.4
    FloraNova grow - 7 : 4 : 10

The N and K are almost the same then, but the difference is in the P level?

Would you still add extra human urine ever to Ionic Grown then? How would you know?

Would / could I add any Flora Bloom as a booster to the Ionic Bloom?
    Ionic Bloom - 3.1 : 1.9 : 5.9
    Flora Bloom - 0 : 5 : 4

10. Nitrogen Phosphorous Potassium(K)

Nitrogen for veg and plant growth.
    Use less phosphorous for cleaner smoke. But high pk's for big buds.
    Potassium for bigger buds.

Yes you can double up on those kind of nutes. They are just numbers. You can add 0-50-30's if you like and so forth. Play around with it and try not to burn your plants.

11. Thanks, thats interesting, less P cleaner smoke, more PK, bigger buds. Do you need more P and K at the same time?

Sorry, but what do you mean when say double up and add 0-50-30.

12. Are you seriously asking if you should piss in your nutrient solution? God no, you will poison them. Urea needs to go through several complex changes to have the nitrogen freely available. It needs to be broken down by specific bacteria. Do not piss in your tank

I recommend using ionic grow, and ionic bloom. There is no need to the boost bottle, this just fucks with your PH. The bloom and grow are very well balanced and contain everything you need from start to finish. There's no need to add anything. Although if you don't have much calcium and magnesium in your tap water you may want to add a little of that. If you buy the soft water versions you shouldn't need to though

Just keep your nutrient strength right where the plant wants it and you won't ever get any nutrient problems

13. Ye ive read lots of people use it for nitrogen when diluted down. I dont think its so crazy. people put bat shit, cow shit and worm casting in and around their girls, why not a little piss?

If i needed more N tho, would i not just change to using the floranova grow instead? it has more n than the ionic grow.

Do you add epsom salts as a routine schedule or when ever its needed?

thanks.

14. so i may as well thro the other stuff out then?

15. Are you growing in soil or hydro?
    I haven't used ionic soil version, only the hydro version. The hydro version has plenty of nitrogen, no extra piss necessary. I have never had nitrogen deficiency while using it.

Using raw organic fertilisers such as bodily waste can work, but it needs to be broken down by certain bacteria before it becomes available. This can take many months to fully break down. Getting the correct ratio of elements is pretty much hit and miss. It can be done but you need to know your shit (pun intended). If your going to use a nutrient solution that's already been tailor made for the job, why do you think changing the ratios will make it better anyway? Growth Technology has been making nutes for decades, I'm sure they know what they're doing.

By all means try it if you want, in soil your plants will probably survive, although that depends how much piss you give them. But I'm certain they won't benefit from it, even if they did get a little nitrogen from it.

However if your growing hydro you really don't want to put it in there. Bacteria is not a friend of hydro

16. i see bat guano is better for N..
    In hydro and coir.

What about Ripen, is it worth using it for the last 10 days?

could i use the floranova grow as a foliar feed?
    Is there any point adding seaweed?

Does foliar feeding maxicrop help?