Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Could Medical Marijuana prevent legalization?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by Mofu Shaman, Nov 10, 2011.

1. I decided to put this in apprentice cause its not really a question about MMJ itself but if anyone disagrees i guess just move it.

Does anyone else feel like medical marijuana could prevent or slow the progress towards legalizing? Think about all of the prescription meds that get you at least in some way high or are otherwise enjoyable. There is literally no chance of things like that becoming legal. Maybe thats a bad example, but I still feel like branding weed as medicine will make people less likely to legalize it for recreational purposes.

2. i get your point. we don't have MMJ here though so i can't really comment. but i can see what you mean and it does make sense.

3. I doubt it. Here in California we've got a ton of dispensaries. Last year we had Prop 19 to legalize marijuana, and it only lost 46% to 54%, where in other states anything like that would be shot down easily. If anything, its demonstrating that weed is a safe substance.

4. medical marijuana was the only way to get the window open apparently.
    MMJ in CA and other states is creating many of its own problems. Don't forget folks that it was local governments in CA who asked the feds to step in and do something. This didn't just rain down from DC one day because Barak was in a bad mood.
    The worry is the window could close at least partially. Maybe it should. The set up of having a quasi legal substance makes the poor more likely to remain criminal and allows a subset of users to exploit holes in the system. For example, look at recent high level CA HA arrests or many of our central valley farming with HUGE plots in the open behind barbed wire with armed lookouts.
    The money has to come out of it, or we're never going to get anywhere.

5. Now why would the fact that cannabis is more effective in blocking Alzheimer's than Aricept, slow legalization?

Marijuana May Slow Alzheimer's (news - 2006)
    [FONT=&quot]Marijuana May Slow Alzheimer's[/FONT]

Why would the theory that cannabis may REVERSE Alzheimer's, slow legalization?

The activation of cannabinoid CB2 receptors stimulates in situ and in vitro beta-amyloid removal by human macrophages. (abst - 2009)
    The activation of cannabinoid CB2 receptors stimul... [Brain Res. 2009] - PubMed - NCBI

Why would marijuana's effects against diabetes be a problem?

Marijuana compound could prevent eye damage in diabetics (news - 2006)
    Marijuana compound could prevent eye damage in diabetics: The Hempire - [cannabis, britain]

Cannabinoids inhibit and may prevent neuropathic pain in diabetes. (news - 2010)
    MediGardens: March 2010: Cannabinoids inhibit and may prevent neuropathic pain in diabetes. (University of Calgary; Alberta, Canada)

Lab Notes: Pot Has Benefits for Diabetic Hearts (news - 2010)
    Medical News: Lab Notes: Pot Has Benefits for Diabetic Hearts - in Lab Notes, Lab Notes from MedPage Today

Or cancer?

Antitumor Activity of Plant Cannabinoids with Emphasis on the Effect of Cannabidiol on Human Breast Carcinoma (full - 2006) Antitumor Activity of Plant Cannabinoids with Emphasis on the Effect of Cannabidiol on Human Breast Carcinoma

9-Tetrahydrocannabinol Inhibits Cell Cycle Progression in Human Breast Cancer through Cdc2 Regulation (full - 2006) http://cancerres.aacrjournals.org/cgi/content/full/66/13/6615

{Delta}-9 Tetrahydrocannabinol inhibits growth and metastasis of lung cancer. (abst - 2007)
    http://www.aacrmeetingabstracts.org...searchid=1&FIRSTINDEX=1760&resourcetype=HWCIT

Marijuana Cuts Lung Cancer Tumor Growth In Half, Study Shows (news – 2007)
    [FONT=&quot]Marijuana Cuts Lung Cancer Tumor Growth In Half, Study Shows

[/FONT] Active Ingredient in Marijuana Kills Brain Cancer Cells (news - 2009)
    Active Ingredient in Marijuana Kills Brain Cancer Cells - US News and World Report

And then there's these-

Cannabidiol May be Effective in Preventing Bovine Spongiforme Enzephalopathy (Mad Cow Disease) :eek: (There is no cure for Mad Cow disease!)

(news - 2007) AAMC: Cannabidiol may be effective in preventing bovine spongiforme enzephalopathy (mad cow disease)

Chemicals in Marijuana May Fight MRSA (news - 2008) (You know, the "Flesh-eating bacteria"!)

Marijuana Ingredients May Fight MRSA

Now why would any sane person want to limit a safe herbal medicine that does all that? :confused_2: And you can grow it in your back yard for pennies! :D You can smoke it :smoke:, vape it, eat it or make tinctures- and no matter how much you use, you cannot fatally overdose!

No, I do not see MMJ as slowing things down! When the medical facts about cannabis are known, the need for legalization becomes OBVIOUS! :yay: :smoke: :hello:

Granny :wave:

6. [quote name='"Storm Crow"']Now why would the fact that cannabis is more effective in blocking Alzheimer's than Aricept, slow legalization?

Marijuana May Slow Alzheimer's (news - 2006)
    Marijuana May Slow Alzheimer's

Why would the theory that cannabis may REVERSE Alzheimer's, slow legalization?

The activation of cannabinoid CB2 receptors stimulates in situ and in vitro beta-amyloid removal by human macrophages. (abst - 2009)
    The activation of cannabinoid CB2 receptors stimul... [Brain Res. 2009] - PubMed - NCBI

Why would marijuana's effects against diabetes be a problem?

Marijuana compound could prevent eye damage in diabetics (news - 2006)
    Marijuana compound could prevent eye damage in diabetics: The Hempire - [cannabis, britain]

Cannabinoids inhibit and may prevent neuropathic pain in diabetes. (news - 2010)
    MediGardens: March 2010: Cannabinoids inhibit and may prevent neuropathic pain in diabetes. (University of Calgary; Alberta, Canada)

Lab Notes: Pot Has Benefits for Diabetic Hearts (news - 2010)
    Medical News: Lab Notes: Pot Has Benefits for Diabetic Hearts - in Lab Notes, Lab Notes from MedPage Today

Or cancer?

Antitumor Activity of Plant Cannabinoids with Emphasis on the Effect of Cannabidiol on Human Breast Carcinoma (full - 2006) Antitumor Activity of Plant Cannabinoids with Emphasis on the Effect of Cannabidiol on Human Breast Carcinoma

9-Tetrahydrocannabinol Inhibits Cell Cycle Progression in Human Breast Cancer through Cdc2 Regulation (full - 2006) http://cancerres.aacrjournals.org/cgi/content/full/66/13/6615

{Delta}-9 Tetrahydrocannabinol inhibits growth and metastasis of lung cancer. (abst - 2007)
    http://www.aacrmeetingabstracts.org/cgi/content/meeting_abstract/2007/1_Annual_Meeting/4749?maxtoshow=&hits=80&RESULTFORMAT=&fulltext=cannabinoid&searchid=1&FIRSTINDEX=1760&resourcetype=HWCIT

Marijuana Cuts Lung Cancer Tumor Growth In Half, Study Shows (news – 2007)
    Marijuana Cuts Lung Cancer Tumor Growth In Half, Study Shows

Active Ingredient in Marijuana Kills Brain Cancer Cells (news - 2009)
    Active Ingredient in Marijuana Kills Brain Cancer Cells - US News and World Report

And then there's these-

Cannabidiol May be Effective in Preventing Bovine Spongiforme Enzephalopathy (Mad Cow Disease) :eek: (There is no cure for Mad Cow disease!)

(news - 2007) AAMC: Cannabidiol may be effective in preventing bovine spongiforme enzephalopathy (mad cow disease)

Chemicals in Marijuana May Fight MRSA (news - 2008) (You know, the "Flesh-eating bacteria"!)

Marijuana Ingredients May Fight MRSA

Now why would any sane person want to limit a safe herbal medicine that does all that? :confused_2: And you can grow it in your back yard for pennies! :D You can smoke it :smoke:, vape it, eat it or make tinctures- and no matter how much you use, you cannot fatally overdose!

No, I do not see MMJ as slowing things down! When the medical facts about cannabis are known, the need for legalization becomes OBVIOUS! :yay: :smoke: :hello:

Granny :wave:[/quote]

I love this post, show every reason why the herb needs to be legal not to mention any other medicinal uses that we are unaware of

7. Well, when people hear medicinal mj, they think of like pharmacies....

No.. those are FEDERALLY regulated drugs, mmj is a FEDERALLY illegal drug.....

This mmj thats going on right now, while there are many people who actually only have mj as a good, safe option to treat themselves, is what i like to call a "loophole"

Someone, smart enough to look into it, found a loophole where in weed can pretty much become legal in each individual state, but not become legal, so people can ease their way into being comfortable with it...

Its hard to deny that since the mmj explosion a few years back, peoples eyes have been opening, legalization has been on a ballot and likely a lot more this year.....

Its not that its going to cause legalization perhaps... but it surely is NOT hindering it what so ever....

Its a step forward from illegal, i think we all agree on that

8. The reason it's not legal is all the greed and close-mindedness people at the top have. Pharmaceutical companies make billions of dollars a year and knowing that MMJ is easy to grow so many people will, they lobby politicians to keep it illegal. And some conservative people believe that when people are high, they act like the actors in the movie "Reefer Madness" and believe that all hell will break loose when MMJ is allowed for everyone.

9. granny, you are my idol.