Could Jesus have been just another enlightened man?

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by DDV, Jul 9, 2012.

1. "From what I know"

Dude, you dont know anything. Read the bible and THEN try to fit Jesus into your narrowed view of the world.

2. It seems to make more sense that the budda story came first and then was adapted to fit the times and culture of jesus.

Mabye there was a precursor to buddah who everyone has forgotten because they existed in a time before written langauge

3. Enlightenment means no more rebirth, no more suffering. It literally means "an extinction". In Christianity, this is called the Kingdom of God. In Buddhism, it's called enlightenment or Nibbana. I've outlined many parallels earlier in this thread, you may want to check it out.

Well Buddha did exist way before Jesus did, and Buddha himself said there have been many Buddhas (enlightened ones) before him, and many after. Also, there is always the possibility Jesus traveled to India to study the Dharma, but of course that's another topic..

4. 1. yes which is why I suggest that

2. what do you base that on? Is there any evidence of that or is it wishful thinking?

More likely to me it seems the teachings of "buddah" culturall diffused to other cultures which adapted their own because they had atleast 500 years to do so, and if there was a precursor story to the modern buddah one then those stories had even more time to diffuse. IF they are both based on an ancient precursor it would make sense that they both would have slightly different details (details which also vary by what culture was the predominant one at the time)

5. [quote name='"MysteryRoach69']what do you base that on? Is there any evidence of that or is it wishful thinking?

[/quote]

The lost years of Jesus. No one knows where he was during that period of time, but it has been suggested that he traveled to India. Right after this period of time is when he began to teach (teachings which are in line with eastern thought of that time), so it would make sense.

In the Hindu text, Bhavishya Maha Purana, there is a writing referring to "Jesus the Messiah", who's skin was pale and was a foreigner. In Buddhist texts, also, there are references during that time of a traveler who had pale skin and visited the region of India to study Eastern religious traditions.

Remember, though, this is just a possibility, as no one knows for certain where he was during this time. I am not claiming he traveled to India either.. it's an interesting topic though, and I encourage you to conduct further research on it if it interests you. I believe there are some good documentaries on YouTube too.

6. 1. What is the meaning of life?

2. Can you reach enlightenment?

What if the answers to these 2 questions are:

1. There is no meaning of life.

2. There is no such thing as enlightenment.

It's amazing how meaningful your life becomes and how enlightened you feel once you give these answers! :D

7. That's right. The Gospels skip from Jesus age 12 to Jesus age 30. That's 18 missing years.

I guess wild speculation is the only thing people can do. Maybe he went to India, but then again maybe he just stayed in Jerusalem and worked on carpentry building tables for people. :p

8. I think your in to something man..

Dig deeper, see how far the rabbit hole goes!

9. #89 Perpetual Burn, Mar 6, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2013
    There is no attainment which means there is nothing but enlightenment/the Body of Christ.

'So in Christ we who are many form one body, and each member belongs to all the others.'
    -Romans 12:5

10. The realization of this is called enlightenment

11. Some say he even came to the UK.

Those texts you mentioned, where he's referred to as having pale skin, seems unlikely to be accurate. For while he couldn't have looked like the Indians, it seems doubtful he would have looked like the traditional image he's usually portrayed as having - the blond and blue-eyed Robert Powell in Jesus of Nazareth. He was born and raised in Judea, wouldn't it make more sense for him to have looked more like the Palestinians do today?

12. Jesus could have been enlightened, he could have never existed, or maybe his life was drastically different then the sources tell us. Same applies to Buddha. All we have are stories of these individuals... My impression is that there are many differences in the message. Most obviously is the difference in the habits and rituals they prescribe... Buddha said you can practice on your own, come to your own conclusions, follow your own rules, and you are on the path, whereas Jesus said follow me, I am the only means to your salvation, build churches for my God, worship the God I present to you, He is the only true God, worship directed towards anything else is sin, but my dad can forgive you, I am the Way, ect,.

I don't know... Buddha seems to give us metaphors for describing fundamental truths, paralells, overlaps in our experiences that are otherwise difficult to have a conversation about, whereas Jesus seems to have some positive ideas like charity, humility, forgiveness, compassion, mixed into a superstitious and freakishly patriarchal ideology that is incredibly drawn out and impossible to understand.

13. #93 Kush Lord, Mar 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2013

Nah, the teachings are very similar...it seems they were trying to convey a similar message to the people.

Jesus and the Buddha were both teaching about a reality that goes beyond the traps of the ego. The Buddha battled a demon called mara under the bodi tree and Jesus battled satan in the desert, this demon is the ego. We all experience it, we all recognize that part of us which intrudes our mind, tempts us, puts us under an illusion, etc.

They were teaching of ways to recognize this and to overcome it. In Buddhism, its called "Nirvana", in Christianity its called the "Kingdom of God."

14. #94 DDV, Mar 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2013
    You are the very first person who has shared this insight with me. I thank you for your contemplation of this matter, not many care for it.

15. I love how people here are claiming that tons of historical writers and scholars wrote about Jesus when he was alive or shortly after his death. You guys must like to completely make things up. Getting my degree I never came upon one real piece of writing worth of note, especially in all my Roman classes. Please consider historiography and stop backing up facts with inaccurate books.

Reading all this I compare it to someone trying to prove Elves exist and giving me the Silmarillian.

I'll solve this argument quickly, he didn't exist. The history record of Christianity and Jesus is so laughable it baffles me that so many people actually believe it. Just my opinion, skip over and keep believing...

16. You've solved nothing my friend. :rolleyes:

The idea of Jesus and what he represents does not need to have any physical reality to be real, especially in an academic, currently believed historical sense.

Christianity and Jesus are two VERY different ideas. Separating them in the mind is essential.

May I point you towards considering the ideas in THIS POST for an alternate perspective of the things you say you've studied.

17. If that is how you interpret this stuff then i can see your point. Still, we can point out differences just as easily as similarities, therefor i don't see how it is any less correct to chalk them up as separate historical forces with different messages with some slight overlap.

"Very similar" is relative to perspective though ( and in fairness so is 'slight overlap'). I tend to view them as distinctly different entities with distinctly different messages. I wouldn't disagree with leaving this at agreeing to disagree, though. There is room for differing perspectives and i don't see how we could go much further than discussing perspectives when it comes to a topic like this.

Essential for what? They are different sure, but each is totally dependent on the other. Without Jesus there would be no Christianity, and without Christianity the memory of Jesus would probably have vanished and he would be another dead shmuck long since forgotten.

18. Isn't that what (most) major religions strive for? A cessation of suffering. Be it Heaven or Nirvana or Moksha. I've spoken of this countless times here so I'd better not start again.. I tend to preach this stuff daily..

19. Suffering exists as Hell on Earth while celebrating exists as Heaven on Earth.

20. From a Buddhist point of view, life is suffering - because everything is impermanent. You never get lasting happiness, and if you do, you cannot hold it forever. Even those who dwell in the Heaven realms don't dwell in them for eternity. Therefore, the goal of most religions is to trascend the mortal form in one some way or another and stop the suffering; Nirvana, moksha, Kingdom of God, they are all the same. Hell is all the same too - not a place you go to, but a reality you live in. How is it that for some people this life is delightful and for others it is nothing but misery? Heaven and hell, right there.