Could God create a rock so heavy he couldn't lift it?

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by g0pher, Jan 19, 2009.

1. #1 g0pher, Jan 19, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2009
    Could God create a rock so heavy he couldn't lift it? If he could then wouldn't this mean that he isn't all powerful? But the same goes for if he couldn't create a rock this big it would also mean that he isn't 'all powerful', either way there is something God can't do and as a result it would mean God can't be omnipotent.

Omnipotence - the power to do anything (with no exceptions)
    Omnibenevolence - being completely good

how is it that an all-seeing God didn't see Adam and Eve eat the apple, and omnicogniscent God didn't know they had or were going to do it, and an omnipresent God wasn't there to observe?

Also, If someone is completely good, there isn't even the tiniest bit of badness or wrongness in them - they would only be capable of being good. So if God is omnipotent, He is capable of anything, including horrific evil. But someone who is capable of evil and chooses not to do it is only benevolent, not omnibenevolent, for there would have to be something about them capable of being not good.

Similarly, if he is omnicogniscent, he is incapable of not knowing something - he cannot forget. If there is anything you cannot do, you can't be omnipotent.

Therefore God is a paradox to his own existance

2. Holy shit nice man. I never thought about it this way

3. the answer to the question posed is, "He could. But why would he?"

4. This where 'free will" comes in...

i never understood it...

I if was God - why not make everyone a good qaulity person?

5. Double-think, my good man.

God plusgood. So I plusgood. Minitrue say so.

6. Could God create a rock so heavy he couldn't lift it?

If there was a rock that big it would sink in space and time and create a black hole. The reason he doesn't create something like that is because it can't be comprehended in this life and our 3rd dimensional existence.

I if was God - why not make everyone a good qaulity person?

There would be no point in life otherwise. He would contradict himself by creating a heaven on earth.

7. You completely missed the OP. The rock question was merely a rhetorical question and title to the OP.

You act as if you know the meaning of life. Human understanding has brought us to determine that life, as a biological function, only aims to continue its process of living. Henceforth, we have evolution by natural selection, whereby organisms more able to live in an environment will consequentially be more able to reproduce and continue living.

On a non-biological/spiritual level, the meaning to life is completely uncertain. One could postulate that there is no meaning to life, that life is merely a biological function and that giving significance to it would be pointless. Others on the other hand create deities and then submit their lives towards their god(s) and in that way signify their existence.

If taken in the Christian tri-poly/monotheistic stance, heaven is only a state of being, where one is in peace and harmony with that of the universe. Taking 'heaven' in any literally physic sense would be completely unjustified and just as senseless as believing in written texts like the Bible verbatim, anyways.

8. [ame="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=UEkJJidVjGU"]YouTube - The Riddle of Epicurus[/ame]

Your answer.

9. First you'd need to believe in god. Then if there is a god, my question would be - Why would god create a man that would rape a baby? Why would god send someone to an eternity in a lake of fire just for not praising his name? ......The list could go on and on.

If i were god, things would be different. jmo

10. hey man... its not 1984 anymore....:D

11. It is when we realize our own divine nature that we will understand the concept of God.
    The realization that the Universe as a whole makes up on consiousness, One God, will bring us closer to the realization that we are, in essence, God. True deification, no, more of a reunion with our own divine selves.

12. Many believe that due to the fact that god created us "in his likeness" that we are in fact little gods or saints. What makes us able to do things complex such as even reason God away? How do we explain miracles? As humans I feel as though at one point we will be capable of explaining everything away but incapable of finding any absolute truth

13. Beat me to it.

14. but that doesnt seem to refute the christian arguement in regards to miracles and other things that happen which are out of our control. And also, what brings us to this realization?

15. If we're assuming God IS real, then yes he could create a rock that he could not lift. However, he could also uncreate the rock, as he is the creator.

I'm agnostic by the way, just trying to add to the conversation.

16. But how do we know that things like that are out of our control? for all we know every moment of a particular person's life may have been leading up to or preparing them for that one miracle? there is limitless energy contained within your mind that needs only to be discovered.

Take for instance the pilot of the 737 that crash landed in the Hudson. Perhaps everything he had thought and experienced in his life had prepared him to save the lives of 150 people that day.

I can't tell you what brings us to that Realization, only you can discover the path to your own personal Realization. I'll tell you tripping acid was extremely useful as a catalyst for me. Our collective outlook on our existence is constantly growing and evolving though, there is no single answer.

17. Assuming God were to exist as you suggest, He could create so much power that He Himself would never be able to use it all up, doing whatever he wished to with it.

18. Extremely unlikely events that occur, positive result freak accidents, hyperbolous accounts of less-than-incredible events, dramatization, losses in translation, etc.

Do either of you understand the concept of a paradox?

19. What is it do you doubt we understand about it?