Could ganja cure...

Discussion in 'General' started by I Wayne, Aug 26, 2011.

1. Downs syndrome? After my first few smoke sessions as a kid it most definitely brightened my thinking. I was thinking no one would ever be like, "oh yeah, let my kid with this disease smoke weed to see if it helps." And because it is illegal maybe no tests have been tried with it on anything other than animals? I can't really find any info online about it but does anyone have any thoughts?!

2. Cure it? No. Downs syndrome is a result of a trisomy of i believe chromosome pair 21, smoking weed doesn't change your genetics, thats all there is to that.

could smoking help downs? thats still up in the air i guess, it does all sorts of other wonderful things, who knows :smoke::smoke:

3. I don't know. Maybe you should smoke a few bowls and report back with the results.

4. It definitely cured mine.

5. #6 Storm Crow, Aug 26, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2011
    Actually, that is a good question! :eek: I have only one study on it and it is pretty heavy "Sci-speak". :cool:

Glial expression of cannabinoid CB(2) receptors and fatty acid amide hydrolase are beta amyloid-linked events in Down's syndrome
    . (abst – 2008) Glial expression of cannabinoid CB(2) receptors... [Neuroscience. 2008] - PubMed - NCBI

I could print it out, but you likely would all be going :confused_2:!

What it means is that Downs syndrome and Alzheimers are a lot alike. They both have beta amyloid plaque building up in the brain. The plaque, basically, gums up your brain!

There has been very little done on Downs and cannabinoids, but a big bunch has been done on Alzheimer's. Since the two conditions are so similar, it would stand to reason that treatment would have similar effects! So let's look at the effects of cannabinoids on Alzheimer's.

THC prevents the deposit of amyloid plaque through the CB1 receptors. and does it better than "conventional" medicine! :smoke:

Marijuana May Slow Alzheimer's (news - 2006) (WebMd)

[FONT=&quot]Marijuana May Slow Alzheimer's[/FONT]

"THC, the key compound in marijuana, may also be the key to new drugs for Alzheimer's disease. That's because the marijuana compound blocks the formation of brain-clogging Alzheimer's plaques better than current Alzheimer's drugs."

But THC activates both the CB1 and CB2 receptors! The CB2 receptors set off the removal of the plaque from your brain! :yay: (I wonder if RSO could reverse Alzheimer's? And can tokers even get Alzheimer's?)

The activation of cannabinoid CB2 receptors stimulates in situ and in vitro beta-amyloid removal by human macrophages. (abst - 2009)
    The activation of cannabinoid CB2 receptors stimul... [Brain Res. 2009] - PubMed - NCBI

The way THC works is that it takes the place of one of our own body's endocannabinoids, Anandamide. THC and anandamide are very similar and can do the same "jobs" in your body. Some people are "endocannabinoid deficient". This affects their health in many ways! (read this if nothing else!)

Clinical Endocannabinoid Deficiency (full - 2004) http://www.freedomtoexhale.com/clinical.pdf

A deficiency in Anandamide makes the mental effects worse!

An amyloid β(42)-dependent deficit in anandamide mobilization is associated with cognitive dysfunction in Alzheimer's disease
    (abst – 2011)
    [FONT=&quot]Unbound MEDLINE | An amyloid ²(42)-dependent deficit in anandamide mobilization is associated with cognitive dysfunction in Alzheimer's disease. PubMed Journal article abstract[/FONT]

Cannabis also can have CBD / cannabidiol ,which does it own thing by activating the CB3/ GPR-55 receptors-

Cannabidiol in vivo blunts β-amyloid induced neuroinflammation by suppressing IL-1β and iNOS expression (full - 2007) Cannabidiol in vivo blunts

Cannabinoids cause neurogenesis, the growing of new brain cells!

New neuron production can be increased in the hippocampus of aged rats following cannabinoid treatment (abst – 2009) smokeWeedErryDay

Of course those new brain cells will need functioning CB1 receptors to keep the plaque from being laid down, so Omega 3 should be used in combination with the cannabinoids, THC and CBD. (You can't make good CB1s without Omega 3!)

So it is possible that cannabis may be able to lessen the effects of Downs on the brain, just as it does with Alzheimer's! Nothing can be done about the extra gene, but the mind-destroying effects of the beta amyloid plaque found in both conditions may be slowed, or possibly reversed, by heavy doses of cannbinoids and Omega 3!

But no studies yet, so we really don't know! :( I will keep looking! :D

Granny :wave:

6. Considering storm crows' post I would think so. But it may be a very long time till we can actually get someone to say yes to a test like that.

7. #8 Sweetleaftoker, Aug 26, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    Hahaha burrrn

8. Science never fails to cease me. The experimental set ups are so simple, yet genius.

9. storm crow knows whatsup

10. Granny rules so much its not even funny.

11. But it may be a very long time till we can actually get someone to say yes to a test like that.

And that is WHY I make these "wall-o-text" posts! Before the mid-1800s, most people did the major part of their own medicine. Now we feel powerless and are afraid to take the matter in our own hands- with a few exceptions.

There ARE still some people brave enough to to try a radical and different approach than conventional medicine permits! Cannabis is one of those "radical" ways of healing.

In Downs and Alzheimer's, there is no cure, and conventional treatments are limited. So why should we settle for what conventional medicine offers? WebMD stated that THC works BETTER than our prescription medicines at keeping amyloid plaque from being deposited.

How many Alzheimer's patients are treated with THC? How many with less effective conventional medications? And what are the side effects of those medications- are they less serious than those of cannabis?

You guys at GC are dang lucky- you got me to read and translate all this stuff!

So pay me back by becoming an activist! The anti-cannabis bias in medicine has to be ended! EDUCATE your doctors, friends and family!

All of you can print up the studies I post and can find a stamp and an envelope! I have made these long study-filled posts for several conditions- I usually even translate and explain their significance, so I don't know how I can make it any easier you you guys to change the world! (and really NEEDS changing!)

Granny

12. and this is the reason i havent been on this website in months...most ppl are a smart ass or dick. but thank you for that fulfilling information!