Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Could cannabis help?

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by SoothingSynesthesia, Nov 5, 2012.

1. Well this is about my step dad. He hasn't been officially diagnosed but we think he may have some form of ptsd(army among a few other things). He barely gets any rest and has anger issues. In other words he is always overly stressed and it has been causing problems for him.

The previous visit to the doctor, he was told he may be put on some medication(s). I want to educate him on the potential for using cannabis as a medicine. Not saying he will and I am not saying I am trying to get him to use cannabis but I want to change his opinion on it.

He has the mentality that smoking or ingesting cannabis makes you dumb, lazy, etc.(we all know the rest, haha). I have counter arguments for all those claims but what I really want to know is how cannabis can help with ptsd(or whatever he may have). I know a good indica can help with the sleeping problems but how/what/why could help him with the anger/stress/ptsd. I think a fairly large portion of his problems is from lack of sleep. BUT in his mind he could just get some pills to correct his issues.

So what are your opinions? Could cannabis REALLY help him? or is it better to go with the medicine prescribed to him? Whatever he chooses is up to him but is it possible to have a sound argument to why cannabis may be a better/healthier solution? I am well aware it isn't a "cure all", I was just wondering if anyone could educate me on the possibilities.

Now off to granny's list! I would prefer some personal experiences though! Thanks for reading! :D

2. I'm in Colorado, home to a bunch of returning war vets and PTSD is certainly high on the list of pending approved ailments.

First, you need to educate your dad off this brainwashing he's been through about cannabis. For me, been a patient around 2 years and just showing family members the positive sides of using cannabis has been enough to "start" to change my mom's mind but she's still on the fence.

Definitely invest in the Pot Book by Julie Holland MD...

Does he drink? Heavily? From what I've read is the idea behind cannabis PTSD treatment is to shield the mind from those awful memories or at least come to terms with them.

Even if he just switches booze for cannabis and puts no effort, definitely safer.

3. Thanks for the reply! He does drink on occasion but not heavily. His normal routine is work, come home, t.v./errands, and heads to bed only to be called in for work shortly after. If I had to guess he usually runs on 4 hours of sleep and most of that is from naps. Plus his schedule constantly shifts.

He doesn't really take anything but if he had to I am sure he would trust pills over cannabis. Then again I am not educated on the potential medicinal effects cannabis provides. I don't know what would work better for him. At the very least, I am sure that smoking or vaping(whatever the method) would help him rest.

I'm pretty confident I could at least defend myself against the stereotypes but I would like to at least back my argument with proof that cannabis could actually benefit him.

4. It will be very difficult to find someone using it for PTSD right now because they're probably younger and still in the service. I'll keep my eye out for a study but I'm sure you could find at least one. Best of luck :smoke:

5. yes, weed would help him greatly

6. I probably have ptsd and cannabis has helped me a great deal. I find that hash helps me a little more than weed though.

7. I think that using Cannabis in relation to mental issues (such as PTSD) will really depend on the individual. As is the case with most medication in these instances.

Essentially, it's worth trying, but don't focus solely on it. Either way, i'd suggest you or your dad doing personal research into PTSD medication and making some decisions yourself. At any rate, the most obvious thing to remind him is that Cannabis has been a street drug for a few decades and a medicine for thousands of years - in case he isn't informed or has a bias.