coughing up blood

Discussion in 'General' started by l3b4, Jan 14, 2010.

1. hey gc I decided to post about this here because I need some feedback and maybe some of you have been in a similar situation...

for the past few days when I wake up and before I sleep I've been clearing my throat of mucous only to find a blood red substance in the mucous not a lot but a good amount. Nothing really hurts though, maybe my throat is a little sore but that's about it... do you think it's from smoking? that would be my first assumption. I've also been smoking a few cigarettes lately (well like 2-3 over a course of a week)

Anyway, i know some of you are just going to tell me to see a doctor but I would not like to do that yet because I still live with my parents and I don't want them finding out about this if they don't have to...

thanks gc :)

2. Seriously, call a doctor. We can't do anything, man. If you're worried about this, I think a trip to the hospital or something is in order. Tell your parents, too... I'm sure they'd be concerned.

EDIT: I've been smoking a couple cigs a day for the past few weeks as well, and I am not coughing up any blood.

3. First off, unless your taking like humongo bong rip after humopngo bong rip then marijuana is NOT going to do that to your throat. Smoking 2 or 3 cigs a week is definately not going to do anything to you either. Do you have any other problems? Runny nose/Stuffy nose, coughing, fever? if you have any of those other symptoms then i would say just take some medecine for it and if it doesnt clear up in a week or so then to go see a doctor.

For extra measure you COULD just stop smoking the cigs because they are soooooo bad for you anyways. But yeah, marijuana isnt making you cough up blood, i promise

4. go to the hospital and get it check out.

Its probably just an infection or something minor, but don't take the chance man.

5. You might have tuberculosis man, but I'd think you'd be coughing alot more. Then again it could be early, it's a highly contagious disease so you can catch it from anyone who has it, even if you pass em on the street It's the only disease i can think of that makes you cough up blood though, oh, and it's fatal,..... You should probably get checked out. Anytime blood comes from inside your body to the outside and it's not a flesh wound, it's usually bad.

6. wut do u smoke out of

7. eww...better not be like a foily or something :eek:

8. could be a sinus infection, get any kind of blood when you blow your nose?

9. only thing ive spit back from marijuana (no matter how small the hit is) .. is a little black tarry substance. its dark, and its tarry so im saying its tar and therefore awful for you.

makes me sick when i see this from my marijuana smoke... especially when people say/think its 100% perfect.

make the switch thousands of smart people have made. by a vape my friend:p

search google for your medical answer... its all there, why dont people do this normally?(search google).
    you want me to search it for you? you would already have your answer if you did llol..

10. That happens to me in a change of weather. Dry radiator heat shit like that. Its usually just your sinuses acting up.

If your worried about it go see a doctor but I have the same problems from time to time and its nothing to worry about.

11. you might just be getting sick? if its not a large amount of blood just like a little bit in the mucus then i'd say your fine...I had i little cold last week and I woke up in the morning and sneezed and this huge globby blood wad of snot came out it was fuckin grosss! but after that nothing happened and now i'm better

If your worried about it see a doctor...if your not wait a couple days if its still happening then see a doctor I dunno

12. Blood in your mucus is pretty much a 100% "go to the doctor" advice.

The problem with this symptom is that there isn't much that it could be that isn't potentially life-threatening if left untreated.

You're an adult, time to accept the consequences of your decisions.

13. Lose the cigarettes.

14. If it's only in your mucus when you wake up then that probably means you've been having small nosebleeds in your sleep. Is your climate really cold and dry in the winter? That would make sense, even more so if you smoke cigarettes. It's happened to me before numerous times. If it continues I'd go see a doctor.

15. If you cough up blood your first instinct should be FUCK I have to see a doctor RIGHT NOW. Not post on a message board.

16. #16 PennLaxPlayer, Jan 14, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2010
    If it's blood in you're mucus then you have a sinus infection. It happens to me when I get bad ones. When it does happen I mainly cough up blood and little mucus.

Be on the safe side and go to a doctor. You are most likely having a sinus infection, but you never know if you could have lung cancer while having a mucus problem.

Edit: Don't get paranoid about the cancer part or even mention it to the doctor. Blood in the sinus and blood from the lung will be two different colour shades(Sinus blood clots before you cough it out. So it will be darker. Blood from the lung will be beat red like from a cut.) He will know.

17. #17 l3b4, Jan 15, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2010
    okay thanks for the advice gc :)

I neglected to mention that i was ill for 2weeks before this happened i had a runny nose and slightly congested sore throat. I took antibiotics and now I'm not ill but then the blood started... the blood is darker and seems clotted and the weather has been changing oddly here so that may be the case... I'll try to wait it out for a little longer but if it persists then I'll see a doctor... my uncle is a pulmonologist too haha

I'll stop the cigs because I don't want to start smoking them anyway but I think the cause of the bleeding was my sickness and sore/dry throat mixed with the dry weather maybe caused some sort of bleeding and maybe my smoking is just keeping it from healing correctly ?

Yeah I'm not really sure but I'm going to hold out just a bit longer... if it was anything serious would I feel any other symptoms? because beside the bloody mucous I feel completely normal...

thanks again gc <3

EDIT: oh sorry i forgot to say that I smoke out of either a bubbler, a reallyyy small pipe, or a chillum/1hitter glass thingy

also I was just getting ready to sleep and my first two mucous spits contained some blood (the first more than the second) but after that I couldn't produce anymore bloody mucous, just regular mucous and spit... but that was the usual trend before too. I bet (but hope the contrary!) I'm going to wake up tomorrow and spit following the same trend...

The next time I see my uncle (most likely this weekend), I'll throw him a btw is it normal...

18. you might have busted a blood vessel in your esophagus from persistent coughing over time. i'd lay off the big bong rips and cigs for awhile. it will heal over time, but only if you let it.

19. I'd get off grasscity and get my ass to a doctor

20. it could just be broncitius it happened to me when i had it.