Coughing Up Ash

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by Matt55, Jul 24, 2018.

1. I've been smoking daily for about 4 years now. In the past year or more I've been coughing up black bits(Believed to be ash/resin/tar ect.) in my spit. I originally brushed it off and cut back on smoking. I smoke very little still daily though and it still continues. I used to get a lot of chest pain but i don't anymore. I seem to cough more ash up when a vape. Does anyone know the exact cause for this and is its serious?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Are you coughing up ash even when its filtered through ie a bong, or a joint with a filter?

• Like Like x 1
  3. How does one cough up ash??

• Like Like x 1
  4. I've done it. From inhaling roaches or packing a pipe without a screen.

• Like Like x 1
  5. I only use a bong its a TAG 14 inch with 1 honeycomb

• Like Like x 1
  6. Buy an ash catcher :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. But would that really fix anything its not like I'm smoking a lot like .2 -.3

• Like Like x 1
  8. I smoke around just as much in a day too sometimes I smoke a full gram. And its also about how clean you keep the bong too. However ash catchers help. A dirty bong can make you sick.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Yea I keep it pretty clean. I'll try an ash catcher though thanks

• Like Like x 1
  10. Also have you tried pipe screens? I pop em into my bowl and, threw the herb on top and, I notice it really keeps the water a lot cleaner and, less ashy. However I still see resin and, tar build up after many sessions.

11. No I've thought of it though thanks

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. What makes you think this is ash, not phlegm?

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. its like bits of ash in phelgm

• Like Like x 1
  14. does phelgm have black bits that looks like dirt in it

• Like Like x 1
  15. I don't think so. Phlegm will be on anything you cough up. This just means you're coughing up something you've been inhaling and as mention a pipe screen or ash catcher might help. You could also switch to smoking joints/cones. I have never heard of someone smoking joints all the time coughing anything up. Hope this helps!

• Like Like x 1
  16. Nothing to worry about. I'd be more concerned if you didn't cough up bits. A lot of those bits are likely particulates from just living and breathing air. Indicates that the cilia in your air passages are alive and doing their job moving crud out of your lungs so you can spit it out. Never swallow the lung butter as it is wastes your body is trying to get rid of.

I've been smoking cigs and pot for 50 years and have more than a few bits in my goo. ;)

• Like Like x 1