Coughing from spirits

Discussion in 'General' started by Switch, Aug 30, 2002.

1. why do people cough when they drink spirits? I've never done it. I've drank a whole glass of gin straight and not coughed (puked my guts up though- ah the days of low tollerance). I don't get it. Why do people do that? Ah I dunno.

2. its not so much of a real cough..but more of a gag...its fast and short so it seems likea cough, but i dont think its a coughing reflex really..but im VERY high right now switch..therefor please do not base your conclusions solely on my response in this here post.

3. I cough when drinking semi frozen treats such as slush puppies or slurpies. What the deal?

p.s. This is the first time ive posted in any forum except "seasoned tokers" and "general smoking". Why didn't I scroll down sooner?

4. Nubbin was correct that sometimes it is nothing but a gag reflex. But sometimes coughing can occur when acid from the stomach makes its way back into the chest and throat. This can be caused from a person having a sensitivity to alcohol. Usually, when the alcohol hits the stomach, the stomach automatically produces acid to help neutralize the alcohol and if too much is produced then it goes back into the throat or chest wall. Thus the esophagus is irratated and a cough is produced. This doesnt happen in everyone though just some people.

5. i pretty much can handle my shit going down......no gagging nothing.......but i remember way way back when i first started drinkin shots that they burned my throat and because of that i would cough a lil after the shot