Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Cough up phlegm all the time? Is this normal for regular smokers?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by mariajuana, Jun 1, 2012.

1. Hello everyone. I've been smoking for about 3 years, but only a little less than a year as a regular smoker (like every night, and about twice a day on the weekends).
    About 2 (or was it 3?) months ago I got a cold. I stopped smoking while it was strongest but as it mellowed out I started taking like a smooth pipe hit every night. For about a month I was coughing up phlegm several times a day and EVERY time I smoked. I felt completely better as far as body and everything goes, but I would cough up phlegm regularly.
    Of course by now I feel completely normal, no sickness at all but I still cough up tiny tiny bits of (what seems like, though sometimes it is clear) phlegm several times a day. Usually when I wake up, really tiny bits of phlegm at random times of the day, and after I eat.

Anyways, I was wondering if this is common for regular smokers after a cold? The quantities of phlegm definitely have gone down...just quite slowly. Once again, I am completely fine in every way, except the phlegm. It's like that little thing is taking a long ass time to get back to normal.

Thanks in advance. :smoke:

2. from the thread title, yes this is normal
    Marijuana is an expectorant, when smoked it causes you to cough and makes your coughs more productive, cleaning your lungs and throat of phlegm and other crap including nicotine from what i understand, IF smoked only on occassion MJ will actually CLEAN your lungs for you, however regular use will still build up some shit as the expectorant effects take some time to do a REAL good job, which would also explain coughing up phlegm even if you haven't smoked in a while

3. #3 Gryphonics, Jun 1, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2012
    You're getting a smokers cough or will get one soon.

You get a smokers cough from smoke paralyzing and killing the cilia in your throat, and cilia move dust, dander, debri and keep your throat clean, you've stunned yours so your body produces extra mucus to keep your throat clean and to catch dust and stuff.

And tobacco smoke also irritates the mucus membrane.

You smoke tobacco too?

Do you also spit it up and have to clear your throat by tightening your throat muscle and exhaling fast to get that shit out?

I've had to for the past while, it's getting really old and I'm even starting to gross myself out, I'm sure girls don't like the hacking sound when trying to clear your throat of mucus. Looks like a good time to quit the reals devils weed..

4. Nope. I've tried it a while ago but I've never been a tobacco smoker. It'd be nice to not cough up this phlegm. But if it's that or not smoking weed, then phlegm and I will be friends for the rest of mah life.

5. [quote name='"mariajuana"']

Nope. I've tried it a while ago but I've never been a tobacco smoker. It'd be nice to not cough up this phlegm. But if it's that or not smoking weed, then phlegm and I will be friends for the rest of mah life.[/quote]

the color of your mucus may give us some ideas...if it is clear then there is really nothing to worry about, other then having to put up with it occasionally. a few days break will fix it if it becomes an annoyance or a problem to you.

6. i smoke weed everyday and like 3 cigs everyday. (one after each session). I have a bit of buildup in my lungs, but if i stop smoking for like 3 days it goes away. doesnt really concern me at all. just stop smoking anywhere from like 4 days to a week+ and u should notice a difference

7. Thanks everyone. Yeah, it's clear mucus, and I feel completely normal. It's all good. Just making sure it's normal.

:smoke:

8. If it really starts to build up in your throat, I think the smoke is irritating your mucus membrane.

Anyways, drink some water, it REALLY helps. it thins that mucus shit out so it's not as sticky and annoying. Even if you hate water, just get a flat of bottled water and juice mix.

9. Thanks man. And I like water, I drink it more than anything else. And yeah I stopped smoking for a few days and each day it got better. Gonna toke again today though!

10. You doing better man? Hope the water helps, makes me forget about it for a long time until it gets sticky and thick again and I feel it in my throat. Have an awesome night, glad I could help as little as I did.

Edit: I've also found out that coffee and soda make it worse and make it extra thick and hard to clear out, so if you can, cut down on those a bit.