Costs of 600w HPS vs 1000w vs DE HPS

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Karma Pharmer, Dec 17, 2018.

1. So I am starting a new indoor grow set up. I have a few years out door and indoor experience but now that I am taking on this new project I had a few questions

My big question right now in regard to a 3000watt flower room:
    Is the cost of setting up with 600w HPS justified vs 1000w HPS?

and a follow up Are DE HPS worth it?

I can provide a more thourough break down, but right now this might be enough

It is roughly $300 more expensive to set up a 3000watt room with 600w HPS lights
    (~$900 for 5x 600w, ~$600 for 3 1000w)

I get about 7-12 percent more efficiency running 600w, (150-160 lumens per watt versus 140-145)

So does that extra efficiency justify start up cost?

2. A follow up to give some details on the grow,
    it will be a legal grow, so there is a plant count, I plan on doing 4 weeks vegging, perhaps a couple more depending on how fast I can turn my clones into bushes.
    My point is that my plants wont be small and in a tight SOG, I will be growing medium to large plants -

this might be a good point for using 1000w hps since they allegedly get better penetration.
    the 600w are supposed to cause less heating issues and i can get them closer to canopy...

Advice very much appreciated :smoke:

3. I used 1x 1000w with a dimmer for both HPS/MH for my first run. It was a wide reflector light.

I can say the 1000w HPS was a beast during this run, and my 5' by 5' tent for it was perfect.

4. Interesting,

I am looking at probably running two 1000s and maybe checking out how well the 630 LEC lights do, does anyone have experience with these?

Also, MERRY CHRISTMAS!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Merry Christmas!

What's your grow room space?

6. i have about 100 sq ft room for flower space, so I was going to try and fit plants in about 60 or 70 feet, so looking at a little over 3000w of lighting if i go by the ~50 watts/sq ft.

its 10 ft cielings