Cost of the DEA

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by halcyone, Dec 29, 2009.

1. I am starting this thread to compile facts surrounding the costs associated with keeping the DEA propped up. Any factual contributions to this thread would be greatly appreciated.

In 2008 according to the DEA www.justice.gov DEA budget was $2.4 billion. The daily budget for this was $6,575,340. After 3 years during Operation Funk 49 (2004-2007)they arrested 59 people, came up with 2 pound of heroine, 1,246 pounds of cocaine, 640 pounds of meth, and (more than likely more than) $9.1 million in cash. Assuming that the budget from 2003-2007 was $1.9 billion, the total over the three year investigation cost the taxpayers roughly $5.7 billion. That's not including other activities by the DEA, as Operation Funk 49 was the "Feather in their cap".
    The estimated cost to incarcerate these individuals is roughly $30,000 per year.

2. and politicians wonder where our money is going.
    i say legalize all drugs and let the addicts die the death they want
    seriously, what happened to the darwin theory?

3. i like the way you think!

4. If anyone can give more numbers on the costs that I am not finding at the moment it would greatly be appreciated. I feel that if we display total costs (federal, local, individual) that the average citizen would be inclined to rethink their complacency and put pressure on governing officials. Again, any input would be greatly appreciated.