Cost of running CFLs?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by MoarCowbell, Sep 4, 2010.

1. hey guys im just curious how much its costs to run CFLs?

i only have a Y splitter. running a 100 W equivalent CFL and a 23 W CFL or some little shit. i am in flowering so i run them about 11-12 hours a day, but in veg i run em for 14-15 hrs a day. i also run the timer 24/7

can anyone give me a reasonable estimate on monthly cost to run this setup?

thank you, i appreciate any help

2. that won't be noticeable

3. so like a few dollars a month? i expected like 2 bucks a month maybe for 2 little cfls on less than half the day. i, not worried about anything i just dont want to have it cost alot because id feel guilty and give my mom some money when she pays the electric bill. (stealth growing) plan on movin out real soon tho.

does the timer running 24/7 use alot also?

4. I run a big 250w cfl and 6 small 23 actual watters and my bill went up 10 dollars a month

5. Yea I run with over 300wt and it only pushed the bill up maybe $5-10!

6. I got bored one day and figured this up for 1 100W Equivalent CFL.

After looking at my bill and Killowatt hour prices and what I came to the conclusion that it costs about .02 cents a day to run a 100W EQ CFL.

That could be slightly different everywhere because power prices are not the same but I wouldn't think you would pay over .04 any where.

So in conclusion it costs about .60- .62 cents a month except febuary and thats only .56 cents:D for 1 CFL

DOT

7. First, look at actual watts not equivalent watts.

Take the total watts you burn and multiply by the number of hours per day they run. Don't forget to include fans, pumps, and anything else you want to include in your cost basis.

Multiply that by 30 (average days per month).

Divide by 1,000. Now you have the number of kilowatt hours per month you are using.

Look at your last electric bill, it might say on there what your rate is, and if not then just divide that total bill by the total kilowatt hours used as shown on the bill, that will give you your average rate. Multiply your grow op kilowatt hour usage by that rate.

Example:

Running 6x 23 watt CFLs for 12 hours a day = 6x23x12 = 1656 watts per day.
    Multiply by 30 days per month = 49,680 watts per month.
    Divide by 1,000 = 49.7 kilowatt hours per month.
    Last bill was $100 and total kilowatt hours used on that bill was 800, your cost is about 12.5¢ per kilowatt hour, so your grow op costs 12.5¢ x 49.7 = $6.21 in electricity per month.

In some places your rate will vary at different times of the day, but the above simple method gets you close enough to get a sense of the cost.

8. WOW thank you guys for taking the time for these educated answers. i appireciate it.

im only running less than 50 real watts through a Y splitter (does that boost watt consumption? i dont really like using the splitters i have a feeling that they may be adding usage...idk) and a small electric timer that constantly runs but i cant imagine it costing alot to run. so yeah 2 bucks amonth sounds appropriate. ill look at the bill next time it comes. thanks again you guys

9. 23watt x 2 = 46 watt.

.046 x 12hours x .06cents Kw/h it would cost me 3 cents a day to run those 2 lights.

10. wow dude thats epic haha because my plants are doing fine for 3-5 cents a day.

i appreciate your post.

11. people over think electricity and small things, the small things hardly make a difference, it the big items in your home, like the fridge, water heater, washer and dryer, and if you have electric heating (as i do). i actually would save money running 2 x 600watt lights for 12hours in the winter, and turn off my heating. Just vent all the hot air into the rest of my home. even turning down your water heater a few degrees save more then you'd think. Hang drying a few loads when you have the time. remembering what's in the fridge so you don't have to always open it to see. turning your computer off at night. (mine runs at 350watt)
    visit your local power company's website, they usually have some smart ways to same energy.