Cost issues... NEED HELP QUICK!!

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by TSGCDXX, Jan 23, 2013.

1. My landlord just rang me and said our electric bill is far too high. Im running a 400W hps 12 hours a day atm plus fans. What can I change to grow some premo bud without draining the electric??? Ive already cut out a few other things eg laptop, amplifier/sound system left on all the time. We already have cfl in most lights atm, just have halogens running in the bathroom. How good are CFLs for growing with?

Little by little, a little becomes alot.

2. No matter what you grow with youll be using more energy than what your landlord wants.

The simple solution is dont grow where YOU dont pay the electric bill.

Find a place you can rent that you have to pay your own utilities

3. I am paying the bills as of next month but the tight gits only dropping the rent by €40 so I cant afford the cost of 400W HPS

4. Rofl this is the strangest situation u could put yourself in

5. Thats the mentality of the people here. They only help you out if they profit from it somehow. Ive been living in this house for 3 years, never been late with rent and looked after the property as if it were my own. He knows Ive been growing for the past few years but because hes got a new tenant moving in upstairs hes changed our agreement too. Worst thing is we have no contract!!

6. Bah just tell him to suck it! 400watt hps on 12/12 is what like $40/month depending what your kw/h price is?

7. Can you offer to pay the extra money on the electricity bill? I would give you better advice if i knew anything about growing lol

8. WTF I just done the math and it costs €22.75 a month to run the HPS!!!! Somethings not right here. He claims our bill is €140 for the month!!!!

9. If i use my 90W LED alone it costs €5.11 per month. Problem is it gets too cold in the tent so if I add an 80W tent heater it should cost €9.66. This should be ok but I hear you get smaller buds with LED so if I add an NFT tank, the pump shouldnt use that much electricity and I should get great results no??

10. Well for the whole house I'm sure it does but wtf hydro costs money if he had a problem with it then he shouldn't have given it all inclusive.

The real problem is the he's a cheap bastard and doesn't want to pay to have separate meters put in.

11. Well I mean to be fair, I wouldn't want to pay for someone elses marijuana grow if I was his landlord.

12. I agree and dont expect him too but I need to cut costs. Am I right in thinking an NFT pump only needs to be on 4/5 times a day for 2/3 mins at a time?

13. What's the price per KWH where you live? A 400W HPS really is fuck all in the scheme of things, your coffee maker uses more power than that HPS light. See if you can get a copy of the bill, something isn't right. My 1000W HPS costs me about $50 a month to run at $0.12/kWh.

14. My KWh is .158

15. So then your cost for your 400W is (on 12/12) (Hours * KW * rate) 12 * 0.4 * 0.158 = $0.76/day or ~$22.75/mo. Your fans would likely consume another $5-$10, I'm not seeing how your power usage is so high. I'd be asking to see a bill at that point. 18/6 puts you at about $30/month for the light. Someone please correct me if my math is out of whack here.

16. Thats what I calculated it as too!!! Seeing as I dont have a contract I might just mive out without notice lol

17. Cost in cents per 1000 lumens of various lamps.
    (Expressed in cents per kilowatt)

Cost Per Kilowatt Hour Of Electricity
    Lamp\tOutput\t8¢\t10¢\t12¢\t16¢
    100W Incandescent\t1,750\t.46\t.57\t.68\t.91
    4' Fluorescent (CW-40W)\t2,960\t.11\t.13\t.16\t.22
    175W MH\t14,000\t.10\t.12\t.15\t.20
    400W MH\t40,000\t.08\t.10\t.12\t.16
    1000W MH\t125,000\t.06\t.08\t.10\t.13
    100W HPS\t9,500\t.08\t.10\t.13\t.17
    400W HPS\t50,000\t.06\t.08\t.10\t.13
    1000W HPS\t140,000\t.06\t.07\t.08\t.11
    Note about the chart: These figures denote the part of a cent used to produce 1000 lumens. In dollar terms the figures for a 1000W HPS are $.0006, $.0007, $.0008, $.0011.

18. i copied and pasted a chart so u have to piece it together

19. I live in spain so that chart is no good to me but thanks anyway mate B)

20. oh ok, well good luck fellow stoner :) I bet they got some fiiine bitches there