correcting a sleep schedule?

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by dylan843, Mar 15, 2013.

1. I've been going to sleep at 6 or 7 am and waking up at 3 or 4 pm for the past month or so. And now I'm starting a job in a week and need to get back to normal

Any advise on this?

Btw, the whole stay awake the whole next day until bedtime dosnt work for me. I still don't get tired until 6 or 7 the day after I do it.

Sleeping pills are a no go too

2. Mind over matter dude if its important you can do. I do it every week, if I can do it you can do it

3. -Turn off ALL the lights in your bedroom, especially blue lights. Cover all windows if there are any street lights or other buildings shining into your room. If you don't have blinds on your windows, too bad, go buy some. Even that little blue light on your computer monitor that tells you it's in sleep mode - turn that shit off. Your room needs to be blacker than OJ.
    -Stop eating shitty food
    -Get adequate sunlight during the day.
    -Avoid caffeine, tobacco and all stimulants.
    -Smoke Indica around 9PM
    -Do NOT nap during the day, even if you feel like you must.
    -A glass of red wine after dinner.
    -Exercise in the early morning, within an hour of waking up.
    -Don't use your computer/TV for at least an hour before you plan to go to bed.
    -Jack off before bed

4. Good tips thanks, but there's way blacker black people than oj, just sayin :p

5. don't drink alcohol to help your sleep :/

you'll naturally re-adjust, but it's going to suck at first.

6. First day will suck, second will be a bit better. Before you know it you'll be golden. There is no "easy way" unless you just get up an hour earlier every day if you have time.

7. There's a world of difference between having a glass of wine to depress your nervous system and getting shitfaced.

A glass of wine is better than none at all for his particular issue.

8. absolutely not.

there's nothing beneficial about drinking alcohol for sleep or otherwise. this information is so old and misleading as advising to have a few drags of a cigarette to help relax.

9. Actually, there is a bit of truth to the alcohol argument.

But the amount that helps is miniscule, and nearly impossible to get correct.

10. please explain, i honestly don't know of any real benefits.

depression of CNS is also achieved with various drugs (xanax, ambien, opiates, etc). alcohol is no less addicting and damaging.

11. its a huge pain in the ass.

12. I used to have do do this to my bipolar ex-wife. I'd come up with reasons for her to stay awake and I would basically force her to stay awake for as late into the day as she could retain consciousness. Usually took me about two-three days to get her to be awake during the day under normal circumstances.

13. #13 RawStoner, Mar 15, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2013
    Wrong.

Red wine actually has health benefits, unlike most hard liquors.

100% of alcohol is a CNS depressant, meaning it "depresses" the body. One of the side effects of depressing the nervous system is a more relaxed and tired state.
    Central nervous system depression - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Once again, wrong.

Opiates are FAR more addictive than any alcohol, as is Xanax. It's intellectually dishonest and silly of you to suggest otherwise.

You sound like the type of person who can't just have a glass of wine and be content with that, i.e. a lack of self control.

1 glass of wine = good

14. What are the benefits?

It's good for the heart?.. so is exercise and less fat in your diet.

Do you suggest drinking a glass of wine every day?
    that's a shit load of ethanol over the course of a year.

Again, depressing CNS is not a way to improve sleep. It is the same approach that is done through sleep and anti anxiety meds.
    If a person doesn't want to rely on zolpidem for sleep, to suggest alcohol as substitute is wrong. If it is slightly less addictive than heroin that's not exactly a win.

.. and why would I need to control anything if I don't drink? :/

15. When yuh get older often your primary physicians will recommend you have a glass of wine at night.

16. What is the basis for this recommendation?
    are these the same physicians that will gladly prescribe sleeping pills at first mention of insomnia?

17. #17 greenbird, Mar 16, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2013
    Delayed sleep phase syndrome. Been there.

You say you're going to sleep around 6 or 7 am? Stay up 4 hours later every day until you're at the time you want to go to sleep, and stick to it. It works man, tellin ya.

Stay up until 11a then sleep your usual amount. Then stay up until 3p and sleep your usual amount. Then 7p, so on and so on. Go to sleep later and later day by day until you're there.

Seriously works, mostly fixed me but I'm still an insomniac as needed.