Cornfield grow question

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by Spanish Dan, Apr 22, 2010.

1. Hi guys,
    I'm planning on growing a few plants hidden in the cornfields around where I live in Spain. I've been doing quite a bit of reading up, and I'm aware of most of the pros & cons. However there is one thing that I've never seen mentioned about watering....
    All the corn fields around here are automatically irrigated via lots of 8ft sprinklers dotted around the field which soak the corn once a day. It gets so hot here in summer they need it!
    On one hand this is great because my plants will be watered for me, but I'm worried about the buds getting wet and growing mould as harvest time approaches.
    Has anyone any experience of this? Would appreciate any advice!!:)

2. Once a day is too much water. You want equal dry times and wet times. If they get watered once a day then thats not nearly enough dry time. You could get root rot early on. I would still give it a try though! I dont know nearly how much water gets put on them daily so give it a try start a grow journal and keep me updated.
    EDIT: Or plant them in the spot where they would get the least amount of water. and put buckets under the water spouts and collect water in case you might need it.

3. Plant your girls so you have as much corn between them and the sprinklers. And if you keep your plants shorter than the corn, during the flowering months, the corn will be much taller and hopefully block some out some of that water. Do you know if the water is treated with any fertilizers/pesticides/fungicides/etc?

I would look up corn growing information and compare it to cannabis if possible.

4. Thanks for the advice. I was thinking the water would only be a problem when they're flowering but it seems like its more than that. I'm pretty sure it's treated with god knows what as well.

There's another spot not too far away which is just short pine trees, maybe thats a better place. I was just hoping to avoid lugging loads of water to them every few days. It gets bloody hot here in July/August :)

I'll try a few plants in the corn as well, choosing the spot carefully as advised.

5. my friend grew in a cornfield last year and it turned out pretty well. he planted late but he still got like a half o. if you start it in the right time im sure it will be fine. i plan on growing in a cornfield to try it out, just start it soon and use your own nutes.

6. 14g (1/2 oz) is a terrible investment for growing outdoors IMO.

7. Make sure you take out the corn that blocks the sun or you will be sad come harvest.

8. he started in june and never took care of it.