Corn question

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by SplitGenetics, Aug 4, 2012.

1. #1 SplitGenetics, Aug 4, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2012
    I put corn in my Garden for the first time this year. It's adapt well so far, the male flowers are in bloom on most of them and massive amounts of pollen has been falling off of them.. But I don't see any sign of corn growing or coming in. I'm not experienced with corn at all so thats why I decided to post about it. It gets a good 7-8 hours of strong sunlight and 2 hours of a bit shaded bc it's on the side of my shed.. I don't know if there's a problem or what. I also have very rich soil in my garden and everything grows beautifully, even the corn shot up fast. It's at about 7.5-8 feet now. I'd appriciate the help, thanks GC. One Love

SplitGenetics

2. Nobody?? I'd appriciate some insight lol

3. I haven't had a garden in a log time now, just container gardening and no corn, but I recall that corn is a very late harvest. I was in central Canada when I had a garden and even then, if you didn't get it in by may long you'd have no crop.

Do you have ears forming on side of stalk at all? Just above the base of a leaf. And if very small when are you expecting first frost?

4. [quote name='"SnyperSystems"']I haven't had a garden in a log time now, just container gardening and no corn, but I recall that corn is a very late harvest. I was in central Canada when I had a garden and even then, if you didn't get it in by may long you'd have no crop.

Do you have ears forming on side of stalk at all? Just above the base of a leaf. And if very small when are you expecting first frost?[/quote]

Thanks, so far there's just these string like parts coming out of the side leaves so that's where the corn should eventually form. I live on long island, so frost normally hits October 1st or around there..

5. Looks like you might not have the best crop this year, hopefully you get something still, when did you get the seed in?

6. I planted them about mid may. There about 8-9 feet at the moment. Doing pretty good in my view..

Attached Files:

7. Oh ya, you will get some corn, nice healthy plants, we usually try to get the corn in around may long but have to keep a tunnel over it for a while

8. [quote name='"SnyperSystems"']Oh ya, you will get some corn, nice healthy plants, we usually try to get the corn in around may long but have to keep a tunnel over it for a while[/quote]

Thank you very much. Im going to move them to a better area in the garden for more sun next season. But im pretty excited to grow my own corn, hopefully get some nice cobs to throw on the grill :) One mistake I made was planting some of the corn plants by 2s.. Idk why I did that.? lol but I have all of the plants tied to wood posts so they don't fall over when rain and wind makes it top-heavy..

9. how many corn plants do you have and what strain?
    some strains will produce corn with as little as 16 plants but most need lots of corn to produce any actual corn

also, think of using companion plants or weeds along with your corn as they help the roots reach into the moisture and nutrient rich subsoil, purslane is a GREAT companion and is also really tasty and nutritious:)

and consider maybe doing a three sisters garden as a base for design...

10. [quote name='"oceansgreen"']how many corn plants do you have and what strain?
    some strains will produce corn with as little as 16 plants but most need lots of corn to produce any actual corn

also, think of using companion plants or weeds along with your corn as they help the roots reach into the moisture and nutrient rich subsoil, purslane is a GREAT companion and is also really tasty and nutritious:)

and consider maybe doing a three sisters garden as a base for design...[/quote]

I have about 35-50 plants total.. And I'm not sure on strain. and thanks for the advice I really appriciate it

11. ***** wy the fun u gr0win' cern

12. #13 AgMan, Aug 12, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2012
    You're all good! Pollen sheds just before silk emerges and continues for about a week after silk emerges, then the ears develop.

13. What Agman said- just watch and as the silk dies off and recedes you'll see the cob start to swell by the day. I would think at yout latitude something like Early Sunglow would be a good choice next time. It's kind of like the Kush of corn.

14. Thanks a lot for the insight and advice. Things are coming along beautifully. I'm hoping for 20+ cobs when I harvest. If I got 20 I'd be pretty happy. I personally think I'll get more then that, let's hope :)

15. [quote name='"SH Grower"']***** wy the fun u gr0win' cern[/quote]

Cause corns the shit

16. ^fact.