Corn Mineral Oil Question

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by fenabar, May 4, 2014.

1. I've been told I need to spray my corn silks with mineral oil to prevent pests. It's that the stuff I can get at the pharmacy?
    How often should I spray?
    Mine just started showing. Any suggestions? I just stuck the seeds in the ground and am going from there :) uploadfromtaptalk1399231852207.jpg 'maters
    uploadfromtaptalk1399231890795.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1399231951384.jpg

@MedCannabis101

2. Hi fenabar :wave:

Very nice! :D 

I've pulled this info from organicgardening, under problem solving: "If you notice corn earworm during the season, help prevent infestation by applying a small amount of a 20-to-1 mix of BT (Bacillus thuringiensis) and mineral oil to the silk at the ear tip just as the silk begins to wilt."

Personally, I'd verify that the mineral oil is Food Grade, if you're going to use it. You should be able to get it at the pharmacy, places like Home Depot, or you can order it online.

There are a couple more options here under problems: "To prevent earworm problems, use an eyedropper or spray bottle to apply a mixture of vegetable oil, Bt (Bacillus thuringiensis), water, and a few drops of dishwashing liquid to the tip of each ear several days after the silks emerge. Or you can try pinning a clothespin to the tip of each ear once the silks start to turn brown to prevent the worms from crawling through to the ear."

I'll be growing corn this year as well, and plan to try the clothes pins, as well as the vegetable oil, Bt, water and soap mix if necessary.

Hope this helps, and you're garden is very productive. :) 

3. thank you