cops flying over head

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by daguy, Feb 16, 2010.

1. I have heard that the cops can fly over an get a thermal read out on grow room. Now they have this blanket that will block the heat from them. Do you guys think it will work?? And do you think they can see the heat during the day light hours:hello:

2. shit
    cops dont fly. birds do

3. prolly depends on where in your house or place of growth you have plants located also....

4. Basically, for the cops to be using thermal technology to detect marijuana growing in your home they have to have a warrant because it falls within the confines of the 4th amendment's requirements governing searches. Therefore, they would (technically) have to have some type of prior knowledge that you have been growing to be able to use the thermal. Unfortunately, I fear that unscrupulous law enforcement may get around this requirement by using "confidential informants" or "concerned citizens" who "smell" your grow op to get a warrant. I poured over tons of cases this summer and the most common method for getting a warrant to search a house for marijuana was to assert that one of these two types of individuals smelt the marijuana while near the house. Information of this type is difficult to challenge because the courts sometime protect these individuals with the idea that they may be retaliated against if the name is made public. Most likely, you shouldn't be too worried unless you have given them some other reason to suspect you. But, like I said before the technology could be utilized in a manner outside of the law and you may never know about it.
    For the legal see Kyllo v. United States.

5. That is true!!! I am originally from Arkansas and they do have drug helicopters that use heat sensors to detect marijuana operations. Because marijuana gives off a different heat signal than most of the other trees and plants in the woods. They look like a bunch of little tiny red/orange dots all over the place when they spot an operation. I use to have an op out in the sticks with my buddy of about 60 plants one year and more then next. There is a way to beat the heat radar tho. You just have to know what certain type of tree to place them under or around so that is just shows up as one big heat signal instead of a bunch of little tiny dotted ones.

6. now with the economy being in the shit im pretty sure law enforcment just cant afford to do it as often as they used to.i seen on tv piggies flying over state parks in cali and humbolt and such but cali has a huge battle with outdoor grow ops.as for indoor ones i believe thermal can only be used at night?? maybe someone can confirm that..just bc how does the thermal find heat if the suns out.

if what ss said is true than all you have to worry about is covering up the smell with a good carbon filter or ozone.

7. How much are you growing?

If you're a lmmjp then you don't really have much to worry about unless you're growing uber sized crops so huge the feds would have a problem. If you're not then worrying about the cops comes like a sixth knuckle. The size and location of your grow make a significant difference. Also, if you're doing illegal sales, then that could also be an issue that might tip someone off, as someone mentioned previously. In that case there is really not much you can do to wholly protect yourself.

Ultimately, it's a whole lot of factors rolled into one. Agree w/ prev. poster, the recession has cut budgets, salaries, etc.

8. In most states a police force already nees to attain a search warrant to even conduct thermal picturing...and yes these blankets would cover up the heat. But if they are thermal picturing your house you got bigger worries

9. I also agree with the economy taking effect on the amount of "patroling" with the sensors they do, however I would think like said above you would be in real danger outdoors, indoors if there is an attic above my guess would be the attic would be equaly heated throughout (since there are no walls) and therefor your home would just be heated...I wouldn't worry inside unless like said above illigal selling or people's smelling

10. #10 pnut420, Feb 17, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2010
    Cops do as they please. Even if they found you, arrested you, and then a year later it was all thrown out because of a technicality.....they have still messed your life up. And even if after all that you are still found innocent, your now on there radar for a long time.

a cop could pull you over in your car for some made up reason that you cant prove, pull you out and search you (lying about probable cause...eyes red...smelled pot...etc), search your car and then flip you over and stick a probe up your ass to search there. And right there at that moment there is not a THING you can do about it.

It totally sucks, but its the world we live in. I mean think about it. If Rodney King had never been videotaped getting beat we would NEVER know who he was. They would have said he was some drunk guy resisting arrest.

Police, FBI, DEA.....etc are nothing more than legalized gangs. (I really have nothing personal aganist LEO's, but just like in life, there are good LEO's and bad LEO's)

All that being said, im sure that cops do flyovers all the time looking at whatever they please. Its just they cant use that evidence for any legal reasons. I mean they have to train these guys to use the FLIR and such. They could do it while flying. But they might use a simulator.

11. Well, now this is just my opinion, but I don't really think that makes sense. You have to remember that there are all kinds of people who could be 'growing' something in their basements, but the cops would have to be able to KNOW that what you are growing ISN'T organic vegetables and fruits for you and your friends. If the police were to raid a house based entirely on evidence of thermal readings from the sky, then they would end up with a lot of innocent people being searched. The same rule goes for ANYTHING related to growing like HIGH energy bills tipping off the police. This is just not enough for a search warrant. Cops can't search your house even if they KNOW you are growing. Like I said, they have to KNOW you are growing marijuana and not tomatoes. Also, what if you are a licensed medical grower? They certainly can't bust any of those people either.
    You know, I have thought about these kinds of things many times before and it just seems like the only way the cops can search you is if someone informs the police about your grow op, or if they somehow find out that you are connected in trafficking marijuana. I don't even think 'smell' would be enough, unless the police came out to your house and smelled it for themself and it was unmistakeably marijuana.

Then, after considering all of this stuff, you still have to consider how big your grow actually is. Really, most narcs don't care about the dude growing a few plants in his closet or basement. They are looking for the king pins that grow by the hundreds. It would not look good on police behalf if the news articles read "Cops raid house and bust 17 year old kid with 3 marijuana plants with an estimated street value of $10,000,000."

12. Acutally if any cop ever stick something up your ass after searching your vehicle then he may be using those handcuffs for something else later ;)...but no that isnt legal and if any cop does that ya could prolly get anything dropped after being raped.

13. I felt this way and still do somewhat until I read a CA/MMJ patient was caught sometime in the prior year 2 plants over the limit and charged, he was sentenced to two years, I found this while searching last week to see if the CA. Higher courts and really shut down county's & city councils from putting limits on MMJ patients of 8oz dried and 4 adult plants or 12 baby plants,
    FYI-they ruled that city & county's can not modify what the voters passed and what the voters passed did not specify quantities or number of plants allowed.
    This guy got lucky and the court I believe dropped charges, the down side is anyone who got a voluntary State I.D. card during the time counties or city's had passed there local limits, is limited to what the law was when they got there I.D. card.
    I'd worry about who know's more than FLIR fly overs, same rules as fight club :cool:

14. Oh its definately not legal....no doubt there. I was just basically saying that there are cops who abuse there badge. Sad but true.

15. Fortunately, growing tomatoes and basil and peppers and lettuce in the comfort of your own home is completely legal.

Don't do anything stupid to get caught for and you have nothing to worry about.

16. It doesn't matter if it is during the day. It still works. However i had my friend from my hometown call me and say the county crashed their drug helicopter haha. So now he doesn't have to worry. And like everyone has been saying, with the way things are right now i dont think they are going to be getting another one any time soon.

17. Thanks for all the input guys & gals

18. and for "ghetto birds" using thermal technologies, to get caught you would have to have quite a few 1000w'rs running at the same time. If you are just some guy growing a few plants with a 400w, it would be just a tiny spec on their imager. so unless you have a 10,000w grow, i wouldn't worry about it.

19. The company's that distribute these liners say you want to have multiple layers. Also, Thermal imagers, don't use light to produce images, they use heat and can easily discern between the faintest of temperature differences. So during the day thermal imagers offer the same benefits

20. agree with pnut and 2pac cops,fbi,republicans,democrats are the biggest gangs bar none.true they can pretty much do whatever the fuck they feel like and yes it may get thrown out of court on a technicallity and yes they will lie through their pig teeth to gain a warrant or even flash a fake warrant..shit is real fucked up in america.the political system and law enforcement do more harm than good...most of the time.