Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Copper Downstem?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by spookin, May 19, 2012.

1. Im making a home made glass bong and i need a temporary downstem before i get my glass one. i wouldnt be using it as a bowl. just a downstem. i dont see why people think its not safe because people use copper downstems for hookahs all the time.

2. #2 rorymcilroy802, May 20, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2012
    Short-Term Health Effects Of Copper, Lead And fire Smoke On Sprague-Dawley Rats - PSAS IR
    http://psasir.upm.edu.my/6390/1/FPSK(M)_2006_5(1-24).pdf

"Conclusions are made that a short-term exposure of 4 days did not induce any significant toxicokinetics that could affect the health of the treated rats. A n association between the toxicity of copper, lead and fire smoke cannot be made either because there was no detectable amount of copper or lead in the fire smoke."

Be careful using it because your copper may/may not have any chemical coating.

Effects

Long-term exposure to copper can cause irritation of the nose, mouth and eyes and it causes headaches, stomachaches, dizziness, vomiting and diarrhea. Intentionally high uptakes of copper may cause liver and kidney damage and even death. Whether copper is carcinogenic has not been determined yet.

There are scientific articles that indicate a link between long-term exposure to high concentrations of copper and a decline in intelligence with young adolescents. Whether this should be of concern is a topic for further investigation.

Read more: Copper (Cu) - Chemical properties, Health and Environmental effects

3. copper downstem is 100% safe, like you said its not the bowl just the downstem.

the hookah im smoking right now has a copper downstem.

4. but does that study include smoke moving through copper pipes instead of being in direct contact with a flame?

5. I was going to make a bong and use a copper pipe as the down stem. But I didn't think the risk of possible toxicity was worth it. My current bong works just fine