Coping With Social Anxiety

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Moe Blunted, Feb 8, 2012.

1. #1 Moe Blunted, Feb 8, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2012
    Hah, It even happened to me while trying to write this thread. It's apart of everyday life for me. Any human interaction that happens to me is accompanied with my S.A. It haunts me that I am not able to succumb to the flow of conversation like my peers do. For those who have social worries, how do you manage these feelings of deep insecurity? Do you think Marijuana has a positive or negative affect on it? One of my friends claims pot alleviates his stresses around people and is able to be more like himself. I for one, feel opposite. Around close friends my anxiety turns down a little while under the influence because I know they accept me for who I am. On the other hand, being at parties or large social gatherings with a lot of unknowns can leave me in a nightmare scenario. I wish I could thoroughly enjoy marijuana in the outside world like I do when I am by myself

2. they see it as a ****** thing, and ****** things are shttuuuuupiddd

ive always had SA, but as a "pothead" im a ****** apparently

it would be more productive to embrace my SA and be a hitler

Treated like trash and stay true, or deny your ass and be 2

3. SA + MJ = EXTREME PARANOIA at leats in my experience.

Try benzo's like xanax or ritalin but hatever u do don't try ssri's. Those things can really turn u into a zombie. Oh and xanax turned me into an aggressive suicidal dickhead but at least it calmed mw down and I was stress and worry free. And I lost my inhibitions and also my motivation. So I told my doc about my apathy, I just wanted to lay around and soak up the mellowness. I was never so relaxed in my life and it felt wonderful almost othrworldly but the apathy still bothered me. So I told my doc about that and he prescribed ritalin xl for me and that turned me into a grandiose narcissistic asshole although I was fun to be around. And man did I get a ton of shit done with that. Then eventually I was pressured by my parents who don't believe in social anxiety to stop taking the drugs and I was also thinking about a lot of things and all that eventually led to a suicide attempt. Not for what u're thinking but because I wanted to get over my fear of death. Drastic isn't it? Now I've been drug free for more than half a year, that's including marijuana and I'm feeling ... not great but below normal actually. I miss the amped up feeling I got from ritalin, everything feels so slow now.

Anyway. I'd tell u to get drugs, xanax or something close to it and not dwell on the effects but try and get over the feelings of inferiority and insecurity because we're all the same on some level. And the anxiety is just u trying to overthink alot of things and also u may not have accomplished as much as u might have felt u have or as much as u're peers and now u feel like less that nothing. Well I'm telling u to forget about that and to stop overanalysing things even this msg. Just take things as they are. U R not special, think about it, u're just like everyone else, stuck on this worthless rock with noting but each other.

The anxiety could also stem from something deeper like lack of accomplishments and lack of parental lovinv felt by u, at least thats where mine comes from but remember u r not alone. And looking for advice from a stoner forum, well I take that as a cry for help.

You're looking for something but with that black and white thinking u'll get nowhere. And stop diagnosing u'rself. Doctors studied for more than five years to get where they r and to do what they're good at, don't try and be one.

U might also b an introvert and not feel that way and think that introverts don't have as many friends as extroverts or don't get all the same treatment or employment opportunities but introversion and extroversion are concepts designed to help understand human behaviour and aren't completely true as we are more complex than that. How can an introvert be act more edtroverted in one situation and not another? Does that make him an ambivert? We fluctuate between extremes and adapt to situations. Oh I'm talking about 'introverts' because extroverts only have an on button, they never listen.

Any u need to either look for help or do some soul searching. And stop thinking in black and white terms, there's an entire field if grey.

4. #4 PeruvianDank, Feb 8, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2012
    no,no, no, nooo!

OP, just go to therapies for SA or visit a psychologist which you trust. Also think about how stupid average people are, now realize, that half of them are stupider than that.

5. Fuck the pharmaceuticals, man.
    I had anxiety but the sweet ganj helped me through that. I realized most of my 'friends' were complete assholes who didn't care about anything except what they could get through me. Found new friends, and while the anxiety is still there, I just don't care as much.

6. Quit smoking around people man. I have anxiety too, and weed just makes it so much worse, in my experience. I've stopped smoking with people and my anxiety has gotten so much better

When I do smoke now, it's by myself and I'm a thousand times happier

7. The way I got past it - Whats the worst that could happen, so you make a fool of yourself, who gives a fuck? Worst comes to worse your in the same position you started in.

8. The cure to social anxiety is to not give a fuck

9. In time you will learn to understand and love yourself. The fear of how others percieve you will diminish, and you will basically just stop giving a fuck.. which will allow your thoughts to flow freely.

Taking whatever chemical the psych prescribes will only mask the issues, and is a very bad way to cope with anxiety. Unless you want to rely on pills for the rest of your life, instead of looking within yourself for the answers. ;)

10. i was only able to really deal with my SA after listening to Eckhart Tolle's the power of now...its taken many months of dealing with that anxiety head on..
    work through it and it will slowly release its grasp on you

11. Develop a positive attitude. If it still persists use it to your advantage.

12. I'm going to group therapy for anxiety and they have me doing self-exposure therapy. It's basically making a list of all the situations that make you anxious, and ranking them from 1-whatever, 1 being the most anxious. The jist of it is starting at the bottom of the list with the situation that makes you least anxious yet still anxious, and exposing yourself to that. Slowly working up the list conquering each scenario until you are finally comfortable enough to conquer that number 1 situation.

Take in mind I havent started it yet since today was my first session but I have social anxiety aswell, although it is fairly mild and only strong in specific situations, but nonetheless it is still social anxiety and I feel your pain brother.

Goodluck!

Also I notice that just toking abit to get a buzz allows me to have a better conversation, better than I could ever have sober.. but like I said my social anxiety is mild so its never too much of a problem

13. Anxiety is a disease. Disease is caused by any unresolved issues
    face your demons kids

14. I used to be extremely awkward around people, and I've grown into being semi-awkward. I think going out and experiencing a few epic embarrassments while socializing helps out a lot. Over time, you learn that you ARE going to make a fool of yourself occasionally, so when it happens it's not such a huge deal.

The first time I smoked pot was with my friends, and I went on for a good one or two hours thinking that I was speaking to them aloud, when really I was just thinking what I wanted to say and getting pissed that they weren't answering me. I realized that I was too self-conscious to say anything, because when I did speak out loud I was convinced that I sounded like a complete idiot. Now I can socialize fairly well with my friends when I'm stoned, but being around other people freaks me the hell out, because that self-conscious feeling from my first high always pops back up.

15. This particular your of anxiety is common among a lot of people for some reason. I use to have a mild version of it.

My advice would be to just change your perspective on "you" and "others" and how you interact. Because in essence it really is your perspective that makes you anxious.

As for if bud makes it better or worse you kinda answered your own question op. You feel worse when you smoke so..there ya go lol. In general though I think it depends on the type of person you are and how bud effects you.

Good luck though you'll get to a better mindset if that is what you truly want.

16. It doesn't exist you can find your own way

17. I as well find that a buzz makes me more loose and comfortable, maybe a hit or two from a vape. Lately I have been writing a log in a book everyday, not necessarily a diary but as a blueprint to work out my thoughts and shape them in a more positive light. I found that the few times ive taken pharmaceuticals recreationally they have helped with my S.A. Especially uppers like Ritalin or Vyvanse, but I find being prescribed those types of medications although needed for some, is not needed for me. I choose instead to medicate with the Ganj :smoke:

18. Some general advice for anxiety: get in touch with your body. Exercise (good exercise) does wonders.

19. Sometimes I feel anxiety is you getting out of synch with your environment, thus you feel threatened.

20. That could have a lot to do with it as well. I definitely felt out of my zone when I first went to college. But i got over that, it wasn't so much anxiety though.

OP, I can tell you from experience that strengthening and loosening the body can have such a dramatically good effect when it comes to lessing anxiety. Since I started eating clean (mostly fruits and veg and grain + lean meat), doing yoga stretches, pilates, and working out, my anxiety has decreased tremendously and I'm much more confident and grounded now.

I think that anxiety is foremost a mind-induced affliction, but the mind and body are not separate. Anxiety has a direct effect on the body, but the body also directly effects the mind as well. So when we align, strengthen and correct the body, we just feel so much better. Our mind is clearer, we are balanced, and we feel strong and capable when we're strong. Changes your entire being, a good workout regimen.

So OP, I suggest doing a lot of work on the body will help you tons. I highly recommend pilates for its emphasis on building a strong core. These are the most important muscles in the body and strengthening also helps tons with confidence, strength and posture.
    OR just do the ab workouts they teach in martial arts - lie down and raise your feet six inches off the ground, etc. Besides that, do a lot of leg work, and stretching of the hips etc. In our culture our hips and legs get very tight and throws our whole posture out of wack if we don't exercise often and keep our body strong.

Loosening these tight areas (For me its shoulders and hips mostly) while at the same time strengthing the core postural and functional muscles (core, back, legs), then our body starts to become a much more inviting place. Strong and comfortable and confidence inducing rather than propogating our current situation.

My 2cents. I think that once the body gets strengthened and the confidence increases these anxiety issues start to melt away and the ability to not-give-a-fuck is great increased by the added confidence.