Coping with getting older?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Magnuson, Feb 6, 2012.

1. I'm at a stage in my life and have been for awhile where I'm constantly seeing new changes around me, in myself, others, and the universe in general. I'm 18 and have just finished my first semester of senior year. I'll be staying in my city and going to community college for a year and figuring out the rest from there. I'm jobless as of now, but have a few opportunities opening up in the future. I feel scared of all these changes, the thought of living on my own, getting older, not seeing the same people all the time, etc. But I'm also very happy about it too as new experiences are always scary but end up being fun/adventurous.

What are some ways to cope with this change? Help me accept it, etc. Weed helps a lot but it also opens up my eyes to it very much and causes me to think about it a lot.

2. "The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think."

3. You're 18.

Your job is to experience and ponder everything. When you get older you can reflect and piece together a picture.

For now, focus on a goal of career or path.

4. Dude i just turned 23 and if I could have told my 18 year old self to just enjoy yourself i would have. Seriously just enjoy every moment and don't dwell on anything too much. Once you hit your twenties things will sort of fall in place and make more sense.

5. I would say that the world has just opened up to you, but what ever floats your boat I guess.

Dude your 18, finally leaving high school and your worried about getting older????? What, you want to be a teenager and living in your parents house forever?

6. "thats the thing about the old days, there the old days"

seemed fitting. you got alot ahead of ya brother, its tottally natural to get nerv. dont let community college drag ya down tho keep goals in mind. i recently went back to comm college from uni and i feel like im the only productive one there.

7. Thanks everyone. Like I said I'm happy but it's bittersweet - I'll get over it though, it's just a little bit depressing. But on the other hand I don't have to see the people I hate from my school.

8. I'm experiencing some of the same stuff, 18 too. thx for the thread, it helped me some too

9. my advice to you ..young ens... ( im 40 )

Try not to be too concerned ( worry ) about... career, jobs, savings, bills, qualifications... This is not life... this is a alternate reality that us humans have created.
    Shit happens... and do you know what... shit normally sorts itself out.. worrying about it.. does not make it better.
    choose to live your life... choose your path... listen to advice from friends, parents, career advisors,,, whoever... but listen to yourself!!! You will have to live with your decisions not anyone else. Do not live your life to please others!! Choose what feels right in your heart... not your head. Your mind plays tricks and controls your thought... you are not your mind!! The mind is a tool that very few know how to control
    i have chased money ( listened to my head ) most of my life... its been ok... but ok is not why we are here... you need to find your purpose ... a small feeling that you can have and be your ultimate dream... its completly true, it took me 40 years to work it out.... but its not too late for me,,,,,

The ultimate thing i have learned... trust life... turn your back on fear... learn from your mistakes... become a compassionate person, care for others .. even if they offend you.
    Look after your body.. its the only one you get... learn to control/use your mind instead of the other way round ( not easy)... meditate to find out who you are, stop smoking ( vape instead) dont drink alcohol too much ( that took me 40 years to learn!!) all it does is make you forget!!

peace

10. Yeah it's kinda sad watching a bunch of 11 years olds being kids and thinking "what a bunch of dicks" then realizing that was you just a few years ago... how fast life seems to go by. :(

11. #11 PaperBoy6, Feb 7, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2012
    It's so interesting seeing this here, because I went through it, we all went through it, and yet there are so few resources for dealing with this in the modern world.

If you have the right mindset, any challenge or any event should have 0 worry or anxiety attached to it, since you know that in the end it will only make you grow, and the worry does nothing but messes you up. But everyone accepts worry and so on as normal. It's not. How many of your friends devoted serious time on working on these kinds of issues? Probably 0.

The earlier you take on this kind of attitude, the better... it was truly a wake up call for me. If you think like this then you can make your own life rather than responding to your environment like most people do as they stagnate throughout their lives, as you'll watch your friends do after post secondary. I'm 25 now, and just within the past year I've got over it. I dropped out of one of the best Universities in Canada at around 21, and until pretty much now I've always been unhappy, confused, not sure what I want to do.

In my current state of no degree and working part time, I'm so, so, so much happier than I would have been if I just finished my degree and kept on living as a slave to my environment, to what society says is right and to what parents or other people want for your life. I might go back to school for something completely different, and I don't know what I'll do as a career yet, but I am feeling more certain and happy about my place in the world now than I would be if I was doing something I didn't want. I'm not implying anything about your school... but going in with the right attitude is ALL the difference. Before I didn't have the right one. Even if you're not sure what you want to do, just go in and see what it's about. You'll see what the next course of action is. You'll know if you don't like it.

You'll see what you want to do.. don't stress at ALL. You'll be exposed to different things, classes/people, and you'll see what you like and don't like. Don't just seek to latch on to things and other people's way of thinking but slowly figure out what it is you enjoy doing. Work, careers, working out, social skills and so on are a lifelong event, not a 100m race, so you should not ever sabotage yourself by compulsive thinking like this.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gh9sc1-M-tQ]Macklemore - Inhale Deep - YouTube[/ame]

12. I wanted to be older when I was younger. Doing the same things over an over again can become boring and insulting to your intelligence. You shouldn't have anything to be sad about once you realize the preciousness of not knowing when you'll be able to enjoy the same moments of yesterday today.

Take pride in evolving.

13. Wait till you wake up one morning and realize that the vast majority high school graduating class has died. ;)

14. im 24.

ive realized its time to grow up.

the partying has got to stop.

15. Party throughout your life.. my parents still party.

16. life is about enjoying urself and discovering who you really are deep down...it was all meant for fun but some people get it twisted

17. dude i feel ya but im talking about the recklessness

cant be passing out on the highway anymore lol

18. How do you cope with the waves you see in the beach? :laughing:

19. how do you shut the fuck up?

by smokin a blunt ;]<3