Cop came to my house while I was high. What to do in this situation?

Discussion in 'General' started by stonercheek, Jan 20, 2015.

1. #1 stonercheek, Jan 20, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2015
    Yesterday a cop came up to my house while I was high. Apparently there was a report of some lady screaming bloody murder on my street. (I think they had the wrong street or something, no one in my house heard anything and we were outside doing yard work all morning) My mom went to talk to the cop, but it got me thinking. What would I have done in that situation if I was baked off my ass home alone? Would I just not answer the door? Or would it have been better to just go talk to the cop? Anyone ever been in a similar situation to this?

2. #2 Popesack, Jan 20, 2015
    Shoot to kill

Ive been thinking about this too, and thinkin just not answer the door.

3. I'd answer the door eyes all bloodshot and smoke seepin' out of the doorway, ask "What up?"

Then they'd be like, "Did you, uh, hear anything recently, sir?" and I'd answer, "Nah, dog...But I been chillin' smokin' so someone could rob my place and I'd likely not know." :cool:

4. #4 *ColtClassic*, Jan 20, 2015
    They can't compel you to open the door. They can only compel you to do so if they have a warrant. If you don't answer and they have a warrant, they will (typically) give you some time to answer the door and then barge in with guns drawn. If they receive a no-knock warrant, then they are not legally responsible for giving you any notice and can barge in at any fucking time of the day/night they choose. No-knock warrants are served for more serious circumstances and must be obtained by a judge, so if a cop wants to just randomly enter your house on his/her whim then they won't be able to do so. There are some special circumstances where if a cop thinks that evidence for a crime might be in the progress of being destroyed that they can then enter your house without a warrant, however, this is unlikely to be used as after-the-fact justification...

Then again, this is the US (at least I'm assuming that's where you're from, because the majority of posters are located in the US) and pretty much anything goes when it comes to cops - the court will be on their side and any wrongdoing is almost always subsidized by the taxpayer.

That being said, your best option is to simply NOT answer the door. You have nothing to gain by talking to a cop, especially in your own house. If they have the right to enter your home, then they will have a warrant and will do so anyways, regardless of your consent or knowledge.

So yeah, don't answer the door and keep enjoying your day.

5. I deal with the cops a lot at my job and they never mention the fact that I'm high, not all cops are dicks looking to fuck you in every situation.