Cooltube, needs intake?

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by liermam, Aug 17, 2008.

1. Hey guys, I made my own cooltube for a 400w HPS using the Bake-a-round method. But since I used the original socket made to attach to my reflector, the cooltube is only open on one end, the exhaust end. Is this a problem? Will it still cool effeciently though it has no fresh intake? Most cooltubes I see are attached on both ends by ducting, especially when strung together.

2. No picture?

3. there is absolutely no space on the end with the socket?

if there is a little space...it will only restrict your airflow. but if you have almost no space at all....you may damage your fan trying to pull air.

think about it...imagine connecting your exhaust fan to a empty jar......can't pull air so the motor in the fan will break

4. #4 chemicalcomfort, Aug 18, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2008
    ya if it's air tight, it will only create a vacuum within the light. i would be surprised if it broke your fan though. Worst-case i see it that no heat will be pulled from the light and you'll have wasted a lot of time and money.

5. cant be shure but looks like a bad idea man
    iven it will drop the temp a bit its totally uneffective
    u need an intake

6. From what I'm reading, his setup is:

cooltube > ducting > exhaust

Although an enclosed system is preferred, I also use air from inside the room/tent to cool the lights. It works.

7. Alright guys, I'll try to get a picture up. Thanks for the feedback.