Cooling substitutes for fans?

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by Fort Oney, Aug 15, 2006.

1. I hooked up my fan today to find that it is WAY too fucking loud to pull off a stealth grow. I decided that there was no way I could have two fans ventilating my box or I'd surely be found out. (The room is very quiet.)

So what I ended up doing was just hooking up one and hanging it from the ceiling of my box, right next to my light. (It's a very short box, maybe 18 inches tall.) This way I still have some air running (Even if it's hot air.) without it being too loud.

I cut two holes for airflow, but I have doubt that there will really be much ventilation.

I'm stuffing a 150w hps (Lowest I could find) into my tiny little grow box, which will only be growing 1 or 2 plants tops, (Extremely short strain.) so I'm really worried about heat being a problem. Can anyone think of more subtle ways of cooling down my little box? I'm going to be sticking my desktop air conditioner within close proximity of the box, but it won't be blowing directly into it. Hopefully that'll cool down the area at least a little bit.

Any suggestions?

2. maybe you could buy a bunch of those "freez pak" reusable ice substitutes and just keep one in your grow box and change it with a fresh one every so often. might be a stupid idea but it's the first thing that came to my head, lol... good luck!

3. hps gets real hot man your gnna need alot of computer fans

4. Did you say 18 inches tall?

5. build some kind of enclosure for you're light. a wooden frame and wood top, reflector inside, glass or plexiglass shield on the bottom, cut a hole in the top and mount a computer exhaust fan there with some intake holes on the sides or something.

6. I agree this is probably what needs to be done. I would not suggest wood, but it would work. The bottom line is you will need to cool that 150hps or you will have yourself a little mini oven goin on. If you can't actively exhaust air out of the growspace, only passively, then you will need to try to seal the light with some kind of enclosure like headds suggested. Also, intake air to the bulb would be cooler outside the growbox. This is done by simply running some flex duct. Run another flex duct from the other side of the bulb to the other side of the box and have one fan blowing out. So essentially you have what is referred to as a "cool tube". The enclosure that the light is in will act as a heat barrier. You still have have heat problems though. I have a 70w HPS and I need 2 fans to exhaust air enough to keep things cool. Not using a cool tube though, maybe one fan would have worked for 70. I just got a 150 and am currently building the cooltube for it. Here's the link I am using for instructions:

http://68.103.98.234:6667/ogi/modules/growfaq/1432.htm

If you use the two holes you already made for cooling the light then you will need more holes for just the growspace to vent. BTW, what specific kind of fan(s) are you using?

7. dude just make your room loud to cover it up, for ecample, turn on ceiling fan and then have a computer running? or have abient music or sumtin... another idea is to